36cm case fan WOW!

locky28

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Here's my theory have a go at me if I'm wrong. The 360mm fan is pushing a huge amount of air into the case (not very quietly because it's probably cheap quality), and due to the lack of exaust fan's, there is more air being pushed into the case than there is being pushed out. Therefore, the case air in an attempt to equalise pressure with the outside environment, forces itself out through small vent holes and other cracks and creveses. This makes noise and does not give good flow through for getting rid of heat, it just builds up.

Also, I don't think the flow through of a massive single side fan would be quite as good as a 120mm at the front and back. The air from the 360mm is just getting jammed in their sideways.

Sounds cool to some people (ZOMG!!1!11one!! 360mm!! that's liek teh 36 Metres ROFLKOPTERZZZZ thats like 1000000CFM WTF!!!) but if you get a basic idea of aerodynamics then you'll see it's probably not that great compared to a setup of 120mm's.

Imo, a fast 120 at the front blowing in, a slow 120 at the exaust blowing out (combined with the PSU fan), with good ventilation holes in the case would give good flow through with equalised pressure and low noise. Huge fan's are noobie.

HotFoot

Distinguished
May 26, 2004
I'd tend to agree with locky28. Blowing down onto a surface (like the motherboard) is a poor way to get good flow close to the surface. You should be blowing parallel to the board. Let local fans take care of the hot spots, but in general taking air in from the front/bottom and exhausting it at the back/top is usually best. This pretty much limits you to 120mm or sometimes 140mm fans. Even at that size, you can get fans that produce excellent airflow with very little noise.

As far as over-pressurising the case by blowing more air in than out, this may not be a bad idea. It's easier to put a dust filter on an intake fan than everywhere else, so if the case is slightly positive in pressure, cracks will leak outwards and you'll have less dust accumulating in your case. For this reason, I tend to put my strongest fans as intake, but many others will tell you they prefer to have the stronger fans as exhuast. I'm not sure why but they probably have good reasons.

Synthetickiller

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
I agree with you guys. I never understood why anyone would want a big intake fan on the side of the case. Its unnecessary. One or two 120mm fans in the front and 2 in the back would offer extreme air circulation IMO.

Doolittle, I'm preferential to this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811233002

due to the look and great liquid cooling options. :D

Three 120mm fans should do the job, although I'm not sure about the side vent. Might disrupt flow through the case from the front to the back?

I'm thinking about buying a 3' floor fan from home depot (the industrial loud ones that move a huge amount of air) and just place my motherboard parallel to it. :wink: Maybe that fan will make my e-penis feel bigger. :lol:

TRENDING THREADS