File Transfer to Vista from XP

jessegibson

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
I just completed my first PC build. I have Vista on it. I want to transfer some files from my XP machine. I only want certain things transferred, not all files.

What is the best procedure for this? I have never networked PC's together before. Should I do a transfer through my pre-existing network? Do I connect the two PC's directly via Ethernet or USB? I'm sure not gonna try and e-mail everything.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Networking should be more or less an effortless process. Generally you just hook up each PC to the open ports on your router/switch you connect to the Internet on.

If you hook up the PC's directly you need a special ethernet cable most people don't have.

You will need to 'share' the drive you want to copy from on the XP machine. Just right click on the frive and choose 'sharing'

If that isn't working for some reason you can just take the old drive out of the XP box and temporarily attach it to the Vista box

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Another option that is handy to have anyway is a USB transfer cable.
You can get one anywhere Best Buy Circut City etc
Just plug it in to the USB ports on both computers set up a share and go to town. Its real handy for just quick transfers such as when repairing someones computer. No need to set networks addresses or anything.

antiacid

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
You can hook up both pc with a crossover cat5 cable. It is also referred to as an ethernet cable. Setup your sharing permissions on xp and connect to the XP computer from the Vista computer, copy and paste away!

easy breezy :)

dave2000

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
Anyone else wanting to transfer files from xp to vista, I found it very easy using a data stick. Download vista file transfer on old xp, hereis the link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2B6F1631-973A-45C7-A4EC-4928FA173266&displaylang=en. when you startdownloading, second page will ask one of two downloads...don't use the 64 bit use the other. Install data stick, open file transfer wizard...follow directions. When you get to the page "what do you want to save" click custom. Go through the list and check off applications and data finish. Install stick on vista system and run file transfer wizard again. Let these load. When done clear stick and repeat process this time selecting the files and folders you want. It's a little more work but i found more stable in the long run and youcan pick and choose better. Good Luck,
Dave

You can hook up both pc with a crossover cat5 cable. It is also referred to as an ethernet cable

The first part is correct, you need a crossover cable, but a crossover cable is a subset of ethernet cables - an ethernet cable is a generic network cable for ethernet networking - all cat 5 for example is ethernet but all cat 5 cannot be used for a PC to PC connection, only cat 5 with the cables crossed over is used for PC top PC connections - with a standard ethernet cable you will need an intervening switch or hub.