Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Intel vs AMD compatibility

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
November 16, 2011 7:23:31 AM

Hello,
Will Ubuntu 11.10 64bit (AMD) work with Intel I3-2120 ?

Thanks in advance

K.M

Best solution

November 16, 2011 9:21:49 AM

The AMD designation is just because the first 64-bit x86 processors were AMD ones. The software will work on both Intel and AMD processors. There should be no problem at all, but the easiest way to check is to download the Desktop CD and try it. You can use it as a Live CD, without installing anything on your computer. If that works then you can install to the hard drive.
November 16, 2011 10:34:21 AM

Not many Intel fan boys seem to realise that their beloved chips actually depend on an architecture developed by their single biggest competitor. Wiki has a reasonable overview of it all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64

Quote:
Legal issues

AMD licensed its x86-64 design to Intel,[citation needed] where it is marketed under the name Intel 64. As Intel licenses AMD the right to use the original x86 architecture (upon which AMD's x86-64 is based), these rival companies now rely on each other for 64-bit processor development.[61][not in citation given] Should this agreement collapse, AMD would no longer be authorized to produce any x86 processors, and Intel would no longer be authorized to produce x86-64 processors, forcing it back to the x86 architecture. However, the agreement[62] provides that if one party breaches the agreement, it loses all rights to the other party's technology, while the other party receives perpetual rights to all licensed technology. In 2009, AMD and Intel settled several lawsuits and cross-licensing disagreements, extending their cross-licensing agreements for the foreseeable future and settling several anti-trust complaints.[63]
m
l
Related resources
November 26, 2011 5:47:55 PM

Mendelev said:
Hello,
Will Ubuntu 11.10 64bit (AMD) work with Intel I3-2120 ?

Thanks in advance

K.M

Many thanks.
I have installed the I3-2120, am using latest Ubuntu 11.10 & it works a treat !! ## :pt1cable: 
m
l
November 26, 2011 5:48:48 PM

Best answer selected by Mendelev.
m
l
November 26, 2011 5:50:58 PM

Ijack said:
The AMD designation is just because the first 64-bit x86 processors were AMD ones. The software will work on both Intel and AMD processors. There should be no problem at all, but the easiest way to check is to download the Desktop CD and try it. You can use it as a Live CD, without installing anything on your computer. If that works then you can install to the hard drive.

Thanks ijack.
Funnily enough, whereas Ubuntu loaded readily with no probs, my Wnidows XP boot disk fails with an exception.
There is life after windows ........
m
l
November 26, 2011 6:41:53 PM

Glad you got it working. Just a quick question re the XP set-up. Did you install XP on that machine or move a disc over? It kind of connects to another issues somebody is having down here at the moment. Also do you know what mode the drive is set to in BIOS?

Be much appreciated if you could let me know.
m
l
November 27, 2011 7:23:14 AM

audiovoodoo said:
Glad you got it working. Just a quick question re the XP set-up. Did you install XP on that machine or move a disc over? It kind of connects to another issues somebody is having down here at the moment. Also do you know what mode the drive is set to in BIOS?

Be much appreciated if you could let me know.

Hi audiovoodoo - thanks for the input.
I didn't "install XP" - I tried to & it failed (several times) from the boot (NOT via Linux) with a "A problem has been detected & windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time, restart ...."

and it shows a STOP 0x0000007E & a heap of register addresses & datestamp

Regarding the BIOS settings - everything is default "out of the box"
Active Processor Cores ....All
Intel Hyper-Threading Technology - Enable
....100MHz, 3.30GHz, 1333 Ghz etc.

Is there any particular setting you're looking for ?

Regards

K.M.
m
l
November 30, 2011 2:39:27 AM

It was the mode for the hard disk, is it set to IDE, AHCI or RAID?

I'm guessing you're going to be set to AHCI..
m
l
November 30, 2011 11:09:04 AM

audiovoodoo said:
It was the mode for the hard disk, is it set to IDE, AHCI or RAID?

I'm guessing you're going to be set to AHCI..

RONG!!

It was IDE - Not AHCI - that must have been the default . I hadn't altered any of the settings.
Now you mention it though, I might experiment in order to get windows loaded .......

m
l
!