Samsung SyncMaster 192MP 19" LCD Monitor with TV Tuner

Last response: in Home Theatre
a b C Monitor
January 3, 2005 5:22:01 AM

I just happened to see the above monitor listed on sale at Best Buy. I
looked on-line, but I could find much in the way of reviews of this. I am
at my computer quite a bit and I am giving some thought to getting a thin
monitor. I am just wondering if it would be worthwhile to get both items
integrated or if I am better off keeping the TV and PC monitor separate.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
January 3, 2005 5:40:15 PM

I have used an earlier version (150MP) of this for a few years. I find it
convenient, the computer doesn't even have to be on to use the TV which has
a great picture.

--
"J&D Schnoor" <jimdianes@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
news:D %1Cd.2083$7I1.2042@news01.roc.ny...
>I just happened to see the above monitor listed on sale at Best Buy. I
>looked on-line, but I could find much in the way of reviews of this. I am
>at my computer quite a bit and I am giving some thought to getting a thin
>monitor. I am just wondering if it would be worthwhile to get both items
>integrated or if I am better off keeping the TV and PC monitor separate.

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
January 6, 2005 10:00:10 AM

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 02:22:01 GMT, J&D Schnoor <jimdianes@frontiernet.net> wrote:
> I just happened to see the above monitor listed on sale at Best Buy. I
> looked on-line, but I could find much in the way of reviews of this. I am
> at my computer quite a bit and I am giving some thought to getting a thin
> monitor. I am just wondering if it would be worthwhile to get both items
> integrated or if I am better off keeping the TV and PC monitor separate.

I have had a 192MP for over 6 months and like it. Although, its response
time is only 25ms (40 fps) I do not notice any ghosting when playing
computer games including Doom3 1280x1024 @ 60 fps, or even very fast high
contrast Quake3. The only time I notice any ghosting or smear is certain
high contrast scrolling text on TV, but that may be a deficient originally
interlaced 30 fps source, rather than the display.

The ability to work as a TV independent from the computer, or picture in a
picture without needing OS support is nice. So the PIP even works if you
are running an alternative OS like Linux or FreeBSD.

There is no visual difference between its VGA or DVI, except that DVI is
automatically sized/centered for any video mode, and for VGA you might
sometimes need to use Auto from its menu to size/center when switching
video modes.

It has 3 brightness/contrast modes "text" (dimmest), "internet", and
"entertainment" (DVD, etc.), plus custom, which all work fine as a PC
monitor. Although, it is HDTV ready, it is not optimal for HDTV because
of its 4:3 aspect ratio (smaller letterbox or virtically stretched for
16:9 content) and it does not seem as bright as regular wide screen LCD
TVs when viewed from a distance. Yet Samsung's dimmest text mode is often
ideal when used as a PC monitor in dim light at night.

For example it does not match the brightness of my relatively inexpensive
Apex 27" wide screen LCD TV (which also has faster 16ms response time).
I have not tried the Apex as a PC monitor yet. It supports PC video modes
up to 1280x1024, but suggests using 1024x768 for best PIP (its native
resolution is 1280x720).

At the time I bought the Samsung, it seemed to have better color and
brightness than most other 19" LCDs at the store at the time. But I do
not always understand spec's. 192MP spec's show it as having half the
brightness, but greater contrast ratio, than the Apex. HDTV or DVDs have
smoother contrast (better shadow detail) on the Apex, but I am perfectly
happy with the Samsung as a PC monitor, where at close range its
brightness and contrast are fine and its ability to monitor TV is a bonus.
!