Sign in with
Your question

boot/bcd error

Last response: in Windows Vista
November 18, 2008 10:11:23 AM

Hi all,

Can someone help me find the solution for Vista64-bits boot problem?

I keep having the following issue:

File: \Boot\Bcd
Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data

I have searched solution in the internet and followed Tim Quan's (MSFT) advice (method 1 and 2) but I have still consistent error when I restart my PC.

The installation starts from the scratch (BIOS: SATA as IDE), problem starts after a number of windows upgrade requiring re-start.

I have reinstalled back again from the scratch, scond time using AHCI setting in BIOS. After sucessful first installation and windows upgrade problem occurs. The system does not want to start neither it gives the boot error message.

For the third time I reinstalled back again , not setting in AHCI, but in RAID in bios. No issue with any installation, but the same problem. Error message as the situation 1.

During this error solution (took me a week to try many scenarios), I also observed and saw strange behaviours of Vista:
- After SP1 installation, all of my torrents and file downloads disappear. Gone, just like that. I could not find any previous recovery point at all.
- In Internet, someone relates problem with the use of Asus mobo and samsung HDD spinpoint FI 1TB
- Also someone related the problem to the use of Avast antivirus

Vista works fine as long as I do not shutdown, start or restart. I put my vista for the time being in "sleep" mode. Anytime the booterror occurs I can easily rebuild the bcd file and it starts again. But I do not think this is the way we normally work with PC. Has anyone good solution to this problem?

Is this Vista's known (unresolved) problem? I have searched through internet a number of solution but it never confirms the permanent solution. Thanks for support

My PC configuration
Motherboard: Asus p5Q-e
Processor: Intel quad Q6600 with passive cooling hyper z600
Memory: Corsair DHX 4G (2X2GB) C4 DDR2
HDD: Samsung F1 1TB spinpoint
Video: GV-r485mc-1GH
Antivirus: Avast! 4 Home edition

Many thanks,

Supriadi

More about : boot bcd error

November 18, 2008 1:46:16 PM

That is an odd and frustrating problem. Having hung out at this and other Vista support forums since day one I think I can tell you confidently that this is not a very common problem.

My only suggestion would be:

1. Try another hard drive. If the problem goes away then you know the Samsung is at the heart of it. I have a strong feeling about this for some reason.

2. Make sure your ram is properly configured in the bios. (voltage and timings) This does not sound like a ram problem but improperly configured ram has been a big problem on new systems and sometimes it might create some odd and unexpected problem.
m
l
November 18, 2008 3:46:39 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I have checked the timing and voltage of the DRAM, it is 4-4-4-12 at 2.1V as described. The boot error problem still occurs when I restart the PC. You mentioned about your strong feeling that Samsung may be the heart of the problem for some reasons, can you share this to me as well? Thanks
m
l
November 18, 2008 5:50:40 PM

supriadi said:
Thanks for the quick reply. I have checked the timing and voltage of the DRAM, it is 4-4-4-12 at 2.1V as described. The boot error problem still occurs when I restart the PC. You mentioned about your strong feeling that Samsung may be the heart of the problem for some reasons, can you share this to me as well? Thanks

Have you confirmed that the BIOS is saving the HD configuration and boot order between boots? What happens if you restart the PC before Vista has a chance to load but after BIOS drive detection?

Why the HD? It's just a feeling. Not so strong a feeling as it was at first. I lean toward a hardware issue of some sort. Could be HD or could be MOBO or BIOS related. I was thinking HD because data and boot info is getting lost or corrupted and I see no inherent reason for Vista to be doing that. Since the data is on the HD I therefore lean toward the HD or the MOBO configuration of the HD more so than the OS or apps because the OS install is new and no apps are yet installed. I suppose there is some slight chance a funky pirated ver of Vista might be a problem, but I hqve yet to hear of such an issue.

You should run memtest86 just as a stability test of the hardware in general and you should download Samsung's test software for the HD and see what it says. I'd also be curios to see if you loose the boot while in safe mode.

If you can't rule out the OS then perhaps you should throw an install of XP on there just to see if it too gets corrupted.
m
l
!