Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Artifacts on Windows loading screen; cannot load into normal mode.

Last response: in Windows Vista
November 19, 2008 9:26:33 AM

A little background: I was playing WoW and I got a few random hard lockups. Since my drivers were like 4 months old, and there was just a new expansion for WoW, I figured it might be a drivers issue, and updated it to the newest WHQL certified drivers. Since then, I haven't been able to load into normal mode, and have been getting artifacts on my BIOS screen, as well as the Windows loading screen with the green bar. I can load into safe mode, and uninstall the drivers, and when I do so, I can enter normal mode for a while, but Vista automatically installs a driver. If I load up WoW, it freezes on the login screen, and upon restarting I cannot re-enter normal mode. It seems like a video card driver problem right? I've tried 12 different drivers, including the newest Beta drivers, and none have worked. I've googled for the past two days and the only other plausible solution I've seen has been it's a RAID problem, but how would I go about fixing that short of a reformat?

SPECS: (Computer is ~5 months old)
Intel QUAD CORE Q6600 2.4GHZ
2x 500 GB SATA II 3.0 GB 16MB 7200RPM (In Raid-1)
500 GB SATA II 3.0 GB 16MB 7200RPM
2x 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800
EVGA GEFORCE G8800 GTX 768MB PCI-E
Vista 64 Home Premium
ASUS P5N-D NFORCE 750I SLI LGA
UTRA GEN-6802 800-WATT POWER SUPPLY

Best solution

November 19, 2008 11:45:39 AM

Is your GPU fully seated?, try pulling it and reinstalling it.

Is the GPU cooling fan working?

Is the GPU overclocked?

You may need to thoroughly check out the GPUs heatsink contact, with the GPU itself and the Memory modules.

Also I had something similar situation happen with a 7800GTX, the rear case mounting plate was coming aloose, didn't seem like that would be a problem, but tightening the plates screws solved it.

Just a few suggestions, I know you're frustrated.
!