Am enjoying Quake2 (never having played it).
Just exiting out of Unit 3.

A few questions:

1. Is there a "nightmare mode" like Quake 1 ?
If so, how do you start it?

2. Are there any ports of Quake2 for Win32 that play better than the
original?
By that I mean that Quake 2, version 3.20, good as it is, has a few flaws.

(i) It seems that while loading saved games, the clock ticks by for
monsters. So they could have wiped me out by the time it has _really_
loaded. Doom, Doom2 and Quake 1 did not do this. Saved games loaded on these
would resume _exactly_ at the point of save.

(ii) Saved games take a long time to load.

Apart from that, perfect.

SH

>> 1. Is there a "nightmare mode" like Quake 1 ?
>
> Yes.
>
>> If so, how do you start it?
>>

> Go to the console, type 'skill 3' and then 'map base1' to start the game

Okay. Thank you. Is Quake 2 in Nightmare mode like Doom/Doom2 (where
monsters come back to life after 30 seconds and were faster and more
aggressive) or more like Quake 1 (where monsters did not come back to life
and more aggressive)????

What are the characteristics of monsters in NM mode for Quake 2 ??? I guess
I can find out :)

Quake 1 was playable in NM mode. I managed to do both Quake and the 2
mission packs in NM mode.

> There are plenty of source ports and so forth - www.planetquake.com is
> probably a good starting point, although it does mean having to use
> FilePlanet for downloads...
>
>> (i) It seems that while loading saved games, the clock ticks by for
>> monsters. So they could have wiped me out by the time it has _really_
>> loaded. Doom, Doom2 and Quake 1 did not do this. Saved games loaded
>> on these would resume _exactly_ at the point of save.
>
> I've never noticed this. What are your computer's specs?

Not great on the video department :-(
It is a Dell Optiplex SX270

It has

Pentium 4 3.20GHz
1Gb of memory
56 Gb hard disk
Intel 82865G Graphics chip
96.0 MB of Graphics memory

But even so, this is definitely a game problem with Q2. It is not a video
problem

Cheers

SH

"EvilBill" <evilbill25@freeuk.com> wrote in message
> Go to the console, type 'skill 3' and then 'map base1' to start the game
> :)

Personally I like to crank it up to 11!!!

Hello Cleveland!

"Shogo" <hsternak@nospamyahooxxx.com> wrote in message
> "EvilBill" <evilbill25@freeuk.com> wrote in message
>> Go to the console, type 'skill 3' and then 'map base1' to start the game
>> :)
>
> Personally I like to crank it up to 11!!!

Todd

"Stephen Howe" <sjhoweATdialDOTpipexDOTcom> wrote:

>Not great on the video department :-(
>It is a Dell Optiplex SX270
>
>It has
>
>Pentium 4 3.20GHz
>1Gb of memory
>56 Gb hard disk
>Intel 82865G Graphics chip
>96.0 MB of Graphics memory

I can't imagine any reason to have a high end machine with anything
other than an ati or nvidia graphics chip ($200 minimum price).

Todd

Stephen Howe <sjhoweATdialDOTpipexDOTcom> wrote...

>> Okay. Thank you. Is Quake 2 in Nightmare mode like Doom/Doom2 (where
>> monsters come back to life after 30 seconds and were faster and more
>> aggressive) or more like Quake 1 (where monsters did not come back to
>> life and more aggressive)????

"EvilBill" <evilbill25@freeuk.com> wrote:

>More like Quake 1.

Q2 monsters only come back to life if there's a medic around and you
don't turn them into gibs. Sometimes, I'd find a dead body, though,
and I could have sworn I didn't leave anything intact. I think that
may have only been in the lost mission pack, that I got from the
developer on a burned cd.