Adjusting from torch mode

Last response: in Home Theatre
January 3, 2005 8:54:22 PM

Hi all,

My Toshiba 46h84 comes with 4 preset modes (Sports, Standard, Movies,
Preference), all of which are in "torch mode." I understand that I need to
adjust these settings downward to avoid damage.

I'm what you guys would recommend as appropriate settings for Contrast,
Brightness, Sharpness, etc. for the Sports, Standard, and Movies settings.
Right now, Sports maxes out everything, while Movies has everything set to
50, and Standard is pretty much the "in-between" setting.

Can anyone recommend appropriate settings?

~wch

More about : adjusting torch mode

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 8:54:23 PM

I have a 46HX83 so mileage may vary. Using test patterns on the Sound &
Vision / AVIA tune-up DVD, I found the following settings work well for
me:

Contrast: Auto (useful because the lighting in my room changes
throughout the day

Brightness 58
Color 34
Tint -9
Sharpness 40

The best thing to do though will be to find you one of these home
theater tune-up discs (I bought mine on Ebay pretty cheap).

--
wjarrettc
January 3, 2005 8:54:23 PM

"W.C. BILL" <removethiswcharriscpa@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> My Toshiba 46h84 comes with 4 preset modes (Sports, Standard, Movies,
> Preference), all of which are in "torch mode." I understand that I need
> adjust these settings downward to avoid damage.
>
> I'm what you guys would recommend as appropriate settings for Contrast,
> Brightness, Sharpness, etc. for the Sports, Standard, and Movies settings.
> Right now, Sports maxes out everything, while Movies has everything set to
> 50, and Standard is pretty much the "in-between" setting.
>
> Can anyone recommend appropriate settings?

Turn off auto settings, adjust the contrast down until whites get too dim
and go back up a few notches until the peak whites are acceptable. Then
adjust brightness so that blacks are just black and dark area detail is
present. Turn the color down as much as you can and still have a good pix.
Adjust the sharpness to the highest setting that does not show offensive
noise or enhancement.

Use your jusdgement and adjust from there to your prefernce.

Leonard
January 3, 2005 10:17:32 PM

"W.C. BILL" <removethiswcharriscpa@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> My Toshiba 46h84 comes with 4 preset modes (Sports, Standard, Movies,
> Preference), all of which are in "torch mode." I understand that I need
> to adjust these settings downward to avoid damage.
>
> I'm what you guys would recommend as appropriate settings for Contrast,
> Brightness, Sharpness, etc. for the Sports, Standard, and Movies settings.
> Right now, Sports maxes out everything, while Movies has everything set to
> 50, and Standard is pretty much the "in-between" setting.
>
> Can anyone recommend appropriate settings?

Make any changes and the set will go into preference mode so stick to that.
I have a similar set set at warm with contrast-35, brightness 50, and
sharpness 40. Turn off all the auto settings like flesh tone and the setting
that changes values based on room light. For best results, get a calibration
DVD like Digital Video Essentials or Avia to find the best settings for your
particular set. Write down the settings and copy them to any resolution or
input that might have the stock values.

Pat
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 7:49:25 PM

Greywolf wrote:
> "W.C. BILL" <removethiswcharriscpa@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Can anyone recommend appropriate settings?
>
> Make any changes and the set will go into preference mode so stick to
that.
> I have a similar set set at warm with contrast-35, brightness 50, and

> sharpness 40. Turn off all the auto settings like flesh tone and the
setting
> that changes values based on room light. For best results, get a
calibration
> DVD like Digital Video Essentials or Avia to find the best settings
for your
> particular set. Write down the settings and copy them to any
resolution or
> input that might have the stock values.
>
> Pat
______________________
That's interesting Pat. I'd like to see your set with the Brightness
set higher than the Contrast. Most sets(and computer monitors)I've
seen that way appear too washed out to view for more than a minute or
so.

I've applied these settings to several HD and standard (4:3 CRT tubes)
models in the local Best buy, and gets them pretty close to what Lucas
or Scorcese might dictate:

VM=Off

Color Temp=User or Neutral

Auto Brightness: I avoid this feature or disable it either in the menu
or with a piece of elect. tape over the sensor! : )

-CC
!