Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I have never successfully burned a DVD yet. I have tried both DVD+R and
DVD-R in both of my PC's and neither one will recognize the disc being in
there. They are: "Philips DVD-R and DVD+R 4.7gb/120min". I have HP Presario
and laptop. (They playback DVD's just fine) Is this a cheep disc(s) or could
something be wrong with my player(s) (combo DVD/CD-RW)?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

You are not sufficiently specific. The phrase "Combi DVD/CD-RW" often means a
combination of a DVD playback plus CD Writer/rewriter. I assume that you
have managed to burn material to CDR and or CDRW disks on these machines. Do
your have any manuals or specifications that can tell you in depth what your
equipment is suppoosed to be able to do?
--
Neil UK

"rwrede" wrote:

> I have never successfully burned a DVD yet. I have tried both DVD+R and
> DVD-R in both of my PC's and neither one will recognize the disc being in
> there. They are: "Philips DVD-R and DVD+R 4.7gb/120min". I have HP Presario
> and laptop. (They playback DVD's just fine) Is this a cheep disc(s) or could
> something be wrong with my player(s) (combo DVD/CD-RW)?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I'm sorry for wasting everybody's time, I just researched my device. It is a
DVD-ROM/CDRW I assumed since the computer came with DVD burning software it
was possible to burn DVD's (how embarrassing!)

rwrede wrote:
> I have never successfully burned a DVD yet. I have tried both DVD+R
> and DVD-R in both of my PC's and neither one will recognize the disc
> being in there. They are: "Philips DVD-R and DVD+R 4.7gb/120min". I
> have HP Presario and laptop. (They playback DVD's just fine) Is this
> a cheep disc(s) or could something be wrong with my player(s) (combo
> DVD/CD-RW)?

A DVD/CD-RW drive will READ DVDs and Burn/Read CDs.

A DVD+/-RW drive will read/write DVD/CDs (DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-R, CD-RW.)
There are other types, but from your description, you should not expect to
be able to burn DVDs.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

can i suggest that you read your hp manual carefully and read the pdf files
in adobe about your dvd drive,what it will do . i too have a hp and found
that hp put the wrong labels on the tower on a huge batch in a production
run,i wasnt too pleased and told hp what i thought of their quality
control.although it says cd writer dvd/rom it does burn dvds.do you have
intervideo win dvd creator in all progs?

"rwrede" wrote:

> I'm sorry for wasting everybody's time, I just researched my device. It is a
> DVD-ROM/CDRW I assumed since the computer came with DVD burning software it
> was possible to burn DVD's (how embarrassing!)
>

> "rwrede" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have never successfully burned a DVD yet. I have tried both DVD+R and
> >DVD-R in both of my PC's and neither one will recognize the disc being in
> >there. They are: "Philips DVD-R and DVD+R 4.7gb/120min". I have HP
> >Presario and laptop. (They playback DVD's just fine) Is this a cheep
> >disc(s) or could something be wrong with my player(s) (combo DVD/CD-RW)?

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Are you sure that combo DVD/CD-RW drive will write dvd's? DVD burners are
usually not referred to as DVD/CD-RW drives, that type of drive reads DVD's
and read and burns cd's. Better check.
If it is a DVD burner then what type of software are you using to burn dvd's
with?

"rwrede" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
I have never successfully burned a DVD yet. I have tried both DVD+R and
DVD-R in both of my PC's and neither one will recognize the disc being in
there. They are: "Philips DVD-R and DVD+R 4.7gb/120min". I have HP Presario
and laptop. (They playback DVD's just fine) Is this a cheep disc(s) or could
something be wrong with my player(s) (combo DVD/CD-RW)?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I can no longer view my system information. keep getting message" file
missing or moved. I tried settings in WMI, still having a problem. Someone
please help!!!

"rwrede" wrote:

> I have never successfully burned a DVD yet. I have tried both DVD+R and
> DVD-R in both of my PC's and neither one will recognize the disc being in
> there. They are: "Philips DVD-R and DVD+R 4.7gb/120min". I have HP Presario
> and laptop. (They playback DVD's just fine) Is this a cheep disc(s) or could
> something be wrong with my player(s) (combo DVD/CD-RW)?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I also have an HP, and I ordered mine as a custom machine, so it is not
surprising that the exterior labels do not match what is in the tower. There
are many options available when customizing a system from the "base" system.
You can up-grade or down-grade the CD/DVD options based on your needs or how
much you want to spend. However, if the machine you ordered was not a
customized version the labels should accurately reflect the contents of the
tower.

--

Mark N.
"pcah" <pcah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> can i suggest that you read your hp manual carefully and read the pdf
> files
> in adobe about your dvd drive,what it will do . i too have a hp and found
> that hp put the wrong labels on the tower on a huge batch in a production
> run,i wasnt too pleased and told hp what i thought of their quality
> control.although it says cd writer dvd/rom it does burn dvds.do you have
> intervideo win dvd creator in all progs?
>
> "rwrede" wrote:
>
>> I'm sorry for wasting everybody's time, I just researched my device. It
>> is a
>> DVD-ROM/CDRW I assumed since the computer came with DVD burning software
>> it
>> was possible to burn DVD's (how embarrassing!)
>>

>> "rwrede" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >I have never successfully burned a DVD yet. I have tried both DVD+R and
>> >DVD-R in both of my PC's and neither one will recognize the disc being
>> >in
>> >there. They are: "Philips DVD-R and DVD+R 4.7gb/120min". I have HP
>> >Presario and laptop. (They playback DVD's just fine) Is this a cheep
>> >disc(s) or could something be wrong with my player(s) (combo DVD/CD-RW)?

That's probably CD-burning software....!

> I'm sorry for wasting everybody's time, I just researched my device. It is
> a DVD-ROM/CDRW I assumed since the computer came with DVD burning software
> it was possible to burn DVD's (how embarrassing!)
>

> "rwrede" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have never successfully burned a DVD yet. I have tried both DVD+R and
>>DVD-R in both of my PC's and neither one will recognize the disc being in
>>there. They are: "Philips DVD-R and DVD+R 4.7gb/120min". I have HP
>>Presario and laptop. (They playback DVD's just fine) Is this a cheep
>>disc(s) or could something be wrong with my player(s) (combo DVD/CD-RW)?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

well not in my case,as it does have a dvd writer installed yet the label
states not.this was a brand new complete system only 5 months ago.when i
contacted hp they admitted the error and tracked down the mistake.an apology
was sent to me in writing.

"M8RIX" wrote:

> I also have an HP, and I ordered mine as a custom machine, so it is not
> surprising that the exterior labels do not match what is in the tower. There
> are many options available when customizing a system from the "base" system.
> You can up-grade or down-grade the CD/DVD options based on your needs or how
> much you want to spend. However, if the machine you ordered was not a
> customized version the labels should accurately reflect the contents of the
> tower.
>
> --
>
> Mark N.
> "pcah" <pcah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > can i suggest that you read your hp manual carefully and read the pdf
> > files
> > in adobe about your dvd drive,what it will do . i too have a hp and found
> > that hp put the wrong labels on the tower on a huge batch in a production
> > run,i wasnt too pleased and told hp what i thought of their quality
> > control.although it says cd writer dvd/rom it does burn dvds.do you have
> > intervideo win dvd creator in all progs?
> >
> > "rwrede" wrote:
> >
> >> I'm sorry for wasting everybody's time, I just researched my device. It
> >> is a
> >> DVD-ROM/CDRW I assumed since the computer came with DVD burning software
> >> it
> >> was possible to burn DVD's (how embarrassing!)
> >>

> >> "rwrede" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message

To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW (see: Description of Windows XP and Windows Server
2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747 )

--

Mark L. Ferguson
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"Ador'e" <Ador'e@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:55BEEEA3-EC13-4356-83CC-E44331D0186F@microsoft.com...
>I can no longer view my system information. keep getting message" file
> missing or moved. I tried settings in WMI, still having a problem. Someone
> please help!!!

Nope, WinDVD Burning software.
"Andrew Murray" <Noadmurray@SPAMiinet.net.au> wrote in message
> That's probably CD-burning software....!
>
> "rwrede" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'm sorry for wasting everybody's time, I just researched my device. It
>> is
>> a DVD-ROM/CDRW I assumed since the computer came with DVD burning
>> software
>> it was possible to burn DVD's (how embarrassing!)
>>

>> "rwrede" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I have never successfully burned a DVD yet. I have tried both DVD+R and
>>>DVD-R in both of my PC's and neither one will recognize the disc being in
>>>there. They are: "Philips DVD-R and DVD+R 4.7gb/120min". I have HP
>>>Presario and laptop. (They playback DVD's just fine) Is this a cheep
>>>disc(s) or could something be wrong with my player(s) (combo DVD/CD-RW)?

No! Standard WinDVD is a DVD player software. Allows you to watch" DVD
movies on your PC.

> Nope, WinDVD Burning software.
> "Andrew Murray" <Noadmurray@SPAMiinet.net.au> wrote in message
>> That's probably CD-burning software....!
>>
>> "rwrede" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm sorry for wasting everybody's time, I just researched my device. It
>>> is
>>> a DVD-ROM/CDRW I assumed since the computer came with DVD burning
>>> software
>>> it was possible to burn DVD's (how embarrassing!)
>>>

>>> "rwrede" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Umm. Why are you arguing with me? Sure, I mistakenly thought my DVD -ROM was
a DVD burner, true, I'm an idiot. but I can read... I have both
InterVideoWinDVD Player AND WinDVD Creator Version 2.0B014.343C7W I
created, edited my movie and saved it as an mpeg until I bought some blank
DVD's. (...!)

> No! Standard WinDVD is a DVD player software. Allows you to watch" DVD
> movies on your PC.
>
> "rwrede" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Nope, WinDVD Burning software.
>> "Andrew Murray" <Noadmurray@SPAMiinet.net.au> wrote in message
>>> That's probably CD-burning software....!
>>>
>>> "rwrede" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Please excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between writing a DVD
and burning one?

My HP has a DVD writer / CD writer but I have been unable to copy/write or
burn anything onto a DVD (even the recovery disk set-up is failing because of
this)
--
Kevin

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

>.
>
> A DVD+/-RW drive will read/write DVD/CDs (DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-R, CD-RW.)
> There are other types, but from your description, you should not expect to
> be able to burn DVDs.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Hi, Kevin.

No difference.

Writing to a DVD (or a CD) is done by a laser burning tiny pits into the
disk surface or into a layer under the protective surface. So it has become
common to refer to the writing process as "burning" a disk.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between writing a
> DVD
> and burning one?
>
> My HP has a DVD writer / CD writer but I have been unable to copy/write or
> burn anything onto a DVD (even the recovery disk set-up is failing because
> of
> this)
> --
> Kevin
>

> "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
>

>>.
>>
>> A DVD+/-RW drive will read/write DVD/CDs (DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-R,
>> CD-RW.)
>> There are other types, but from your description, you should not expect
>> be able to burn DVDs.
>>
>> --
>> Shenan Stanley
>> MS-MVP