aberchonbie

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Hey guys,

I've been using my computer fine for about 3 months now. This is a homebuilt system. Here are the specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
DFI DK X38 T2RB Mobo
2x ATI HD 4850's in Crossfire
OCZ Platinum DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
2x Seagate 7200.10 320GB HD's in RAID 0 (SATA)
1x WD Backup HD (SATA)
1x multicard reader
1x LITE ON DVD burner
Antec TPQ 1000W

Running Vista Ultimate 64-bit
Had ATI CCC 8.11 running
_______

So there are the system specs.

Problem:
I had it running fine for about 3 months now as said earlier. I come back to my apt after school and find that it doesn't want to boot.

I checked BIOS and now see that it doesn't read the SATA harddrives (it won't detect which HD is in which slot)

However, Running the RAID utility, I find that the computer does recognize the Hard drives.

Turning on the computer, this is what happens:
1. The comp posts and can see the MOBO logo
2. The RAID screen shows and detects all hard drives
3. Vista starts to load
4. The screen with the green bar goes for about 8 cycles
5. Black Screen shows and remains on the black screen indefinitely
(Mouse detected, Keyboard Detected, Sound Card detected)

Vista just doesn't want to load from the black screen from the initialization of vista

I tried loading in safe mode but it's stuck after the line: Loaded: \Windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys

Do you guys have any recommendations on how to remedy this situation?

Read through this thread. I don't know if it applies ot your situation. The OP disabled 3 of the 4 cores on his Q6850 processor and got Vista 64 to load up. Then He replaced the processor with a qx6800 and Vista 64 loaded up fine with all cores enabled. Do you have another processor to install and try and load up Vista 64? 8). Have you installed SP1 recently? How about video drivers? New BIOS version? I would experiment. I would remove the RAID drives an stick in a single drive and see if Vista 64 would load up on it. I would do that with 1 DIMM RAM in slot one and no overclock, default BIOS.

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t50564.html

aberchonbie

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Unfortunately I don't have another CPU to stick in.. SP1 was installed a while ago.. installed CCC 8.11 not long ago but my comp booted fine cuz i restarted after the install.. BIOS was not updated..

at first i thought the CPU OC was the culprit but switching back to stock speeds resolved nothing..

Odd, I installed version 8.11 on a windows xp with an 800gto yesterday. I had been having stabiity problems prior and had to restore the Boot files. Then after installing the 8.11, the sytem totally corupted the Registry? I had important stuff on that computer. I had to restore the registry manually to save the info. That manual restore I did is working now with 8.11, so I don't don't what the deal is. I don't know what is corrupting my OS files so badly. I'll find out though.