Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Budget gaming platform, please comment!!!

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 21, 2007 9:32:04 AM

I'm planning on building a new system in next week. Please suggest me on my upcoming system for budget gaming platform.

- Intel C2D E6420 (2.13 Ghz)
- Gigabyte GA-P965-S3 (Rev 3.3)
- Patriot Signature Line/Muskhin Value/Corsair Value Select
DDR2 800Mhz PC6400 (2X512 Mb)
- WD Caviar SE 80 Gb SATA WD800AAJS (Cache 8 Mb)
- XFX Nvidia 8800GTS 320 Mb
- SilverStone Element ST50EFPlus 500Watt
- ThermalTake Mambo Mid Tower

Any input will be appreciated. Thanks.
May 21, 2007 10:34:36 AM

Your system looks good but I don't like your choice in HDD. There are 160GB HDD's for only like 15 $ more. And some might say 160GB might not be enough.
May 21, 2007 10:58:43 AM

Looks great. I agree about the HDD plus I would change the MB from S3 to DS3 so it would last longer...
According to the review the Patriot memory is very recomended you should also consider g.skill
Related resources
May 21, 2007 11:01:04 AM

Yeah, but the fact is I never running up 80 GB. 80 GB is enough for me. I even make 2 partition of it 60 and 20 GB each. :?
May 21, 2007 11:10:32 AM

If you are using a 80GB HDD this is setup I could consider:

-10/15GB for OS
-40GB for Softwares
-30GB for your files, etc.

Thats is a good setup for a system. If you want to you could change the PF to the softwares/your files drive to give the PC a bit of enhanced speed. And remember to maintain it. These i don;t think you will be able to manage with 80GB. But it is your decision, since you are the user. Your system looks good. but change the motherboard like uri said.

Goodluck!
May 21, 2007 11:14:08 AM

Quote:
I'm planning on building a new system in next week. Please suggest me on my upcoming system for budget gaming platform.

- Intel C2D E6420 (2.13 Ghz)
- Gigabyte GA-P965-S3 (Rev 3.3)
- Patriot Signature Line/Muskhin Value/Corsair Value Select
DDR2 800Mhz PC6400 (2X512 Mb)
- WD Caviar SE 80 Gb SATA WD800AAJS (Cache 8 Mb)
- XFX Nvidia 8800GTS 320 Mb
- SilverStone Element ST50EFPlus 500Watt
- ThermalTake Mambo Mid Tower

Any input will be appreciated. Thanks.


U'll need ad least 1Gb of ram..with 8800GTS is a direct X10 card and if U will VISTA 1Gb of ram simply will not do...2Gb is the minimum I would recommend U
May 21, 2007 11:51:00 AM

To uri:
Personally I think Gigabyte Mobo's come with 3 years warranty either S3 or DS3 and in meantime if it got broken, I still get the warranty. Why should I spend another $. 15 for DS3 to make it last longer since I don't plan to OC it? And I think both DS3 and S3 have the same performance.
I can't get G.skill RAM in my country, if they are available I'd like to grab one :wink

To T2bus:
Yeah, since I run up of budget, I think I will add another 1 Gb of RAM later on.[/list]
May 21, 2007 12:21:13 PM

Try not to buy the Silverstone PSU. It makes a very annoying whining noise even when the pc is off. It stops only if you pull the plug! I bought one and had to give it back for that reason. Bought the PSU in my sig for 25 euros extra and i am very satisfied with it.

Also for gaming you don't need to buy the e6420. An e4300 or 4400 would be more than enough. It overclocks from the box @ 2.4 (e4300) or @2.66 (e4400) with no voltage adjustment and no extra cooling. You just set FSB to 266 and you are good to go! Especially with the mobo you are buying and since you are on a budget. If you live in a country with a very hot summer you should get another cooling solution though, just to be on the safe side.

You have good overall choices for the rest of your system...
May 21, 2007 12:26:52 PM

Oh, and have you considered that all the new games are installing something like 4.5+ gigs in your HD? Also a larger HD would be faster when loading levels...
May 21, 2007 12:46:23 PM

I agree with BigBlack. You could save the money by switching to C2D4300 and buy an extra 1 gig of RAM. And I think you should consider the fact that new games demand lots of space on your HDD...

In the end it's your decision though...
May 21, 2007 12:58:28 PM

Extra HDDs are easy to add later, however.

Same with memory, so if he finds out he needs them he could add them at that point.

I agree that going for the E6300 and giving it a mild OC would work well.
The E6300 should easily OC past what you really need in regards to performance and is a no-brainer in a budget system.

You could either pocket the difference or make minor upgrades such as to the DS-3 and its solid state capacitors.
May 21, 2007 1:04:18 PM

Quote:
I agree that going for the E6300 and giving it a mild OC would work well. The E6300 should easily OC past what you really need in regards to performance and is a no-brainer in a budget system.


You mean the e4300, right? An e6300 has no reason to exist anymore! Unless it sells for $75...
May 21, 2007 1:09:01 PM

Yeah, the E4300 :>
It's just a steal at that price.

I OC'd mine to 3.2Ghz but down clocked to 3.0Ghz to keep it totally silent.
I did not need the extra power or the small amount of xtra power is not really noticable.

Now, when the quad-cores come out cheap this fall, I may be all over the cheap quad and transfer this e4300 to my secondary system as part of an upgrade process.
May 21, 2007 4:08:45 PM

im surprised very few have mentioned the fact ur going only 1 gig of ram...

and 2x 512 too... i think its a waste to go 2x 512 when clearly, 1 gig is the new 512... 1 gig wont hold up for long and to eat up 2 slots with 512... i have to encourage you to go 2x1gig... especially with the RIDICULOUS ram deals going on at this point.... slickdeals.net post just the normal sales... but if u look harder there are some sick ram deals going on ...

happy huntings

jae
mlb
May 22, 2007 5:46:41 AM

I think you should stick with the 80GB HDD for now. Later on when you need more space (which i think personally you will need) get a bigger HDD. Hopefully prices will also be slightly cheaper than before (sorta doubtful about that).

Cheers!
May 22, 2007 7:32:05 AM

Quote:
Also for gaming you don't need to buy the e6420. An e4300 or 4400 would be more than enough. It overclocks from the box @ 2.4 (e4300) or @2.66 (e4400) with no voltage adjustment and no extra cooling.


I don't understand 'it overclocks from the box' thing. Would you please explain? Thx. But I don't plan to OC any of my hardware since I don't have any knowledge of it. Should I buy E6420 and use it at stock speed?

Quote:
im surprised very few have mentioned the fact ur going only 1 gig of ram...

and 2x 512 too... i think its a waste to go 2x 512 when clearly, 1 gig is the new 512... 1 gig wont hold up for long and to eat up 2 slots with 512... i have to encourage you to go 2x1gig... especially with the RIDICULOUS ram deals going on at this point.... slickdeals.net post just the normal sales... but if u look harder there are some sick ram deals going on ...

happy huntings


Yeah, I think you're right. I just realize spending 2 slots to make 512x2 is a waste. Indeed, I should make it 2x1 Gb and in another future I still can use the other 2 slots for another 2 Gb. Hey, thx a lot. :D 
May 22, 2007 8:04:29 AM

I've been reading this Tom's hardware site and the forums for quite a bit before i needed/decided to start posting. One thing seems to strike me about all the "rate this build" threads and the replies and thats, buy the cheaper lower model and OC, OC, OC on up to the higher model. I mean people buy the best model they can afford or amount they wish to spend. If they end up buying the model they say, they can at a later date over clock that and have faster in the end.
PSu's seems to be the same too, thats buy bigger, BIGGER, BIGGER even if it's just for a low end games machine. I don't know if this is follow the crowd or people assume everyone fills their PC's with a million and one cards, fans, lights, coffee markers, drink chillers etc but i've found only time a quality PSU has been realy needed is on Pc with everything and the kitchen sink added to it.
Well thats how i see it, i may be wrong, it just seems there are standard replies to these threads.
I do agree with the the comments about the RAM though 1 gig in two sticks is going to be a waste for upgrading later or at the least performance due to 1 gig being a low amount
!