Ubuntu 11.10 Lost User Account Icon. Gnome Logout Menu for Ubuntu

erly_Cuylers

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
somehow I lost my user account icon from the top right of the panel. holding Alt + right click does not seem to work. also the log out menu on the Gnome desktop is very nice. it has your user icon and several options. I would like to get that menu for the Ubuntu desktop shut down menu. any help making these minor tweaks is welcome.

thanks, erly

Solution

Sorry -- I do not know gnome since it changed -- perhaps here is a place to start

Best wishes!

chamaecyparis

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010

Have you looked in /usr/share/applications/ to drag icons from to desktop (or does this folder exist in ubuntu -- I've forgotten!)?

erly_Cuylers

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011

yes, I can do that, but I still cannot move the icon to the panel.

perhaps my issue would be better asked as, "how to add/remove items from/to the top panel in Ubuntu 11.10" ?
(ALT+Right Click does not work) or "is there any way to add a Gnome context menu to Ubuntu" ?

thanks so far

chamaecyparis

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010

Sorry -- I do not know gnome since it changed -- perhaps here is a place to start

Best wishes!

Solution

erly_Cuylers

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
no help but thanks for the link.

apparently the top panel and launcher are locked. I have used gconf editor and unchecked everything panel>locked. did not work. I tried Ubuntu tweak and the Gnome>lockall was already unchecked, no avail. as I said ALT + Right click does not work. giving up for the night.

as far as the Gnome context menu request, perhaps that is too abstract.

thanks

erly_Cuylers

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
so Ubuntu uses Gnome panels? I thought tthe default was the unity top panel. perhaps there is some other way of changing the panels Ubuntu uses?

one of the main reasons why I chose the Ubuntu desktop was because it was the only one I could get my monitors configured correctly with. mostly because of GDM of course. for example XFCE will not allow me to unmirror the monitors or at least I couldn't figure out how to. I take it I cannot install the Linux Mint desktop over Ubuntu Studio.

of course the reason this is so important is because if I ever lose the panel icons, there will be no way of adding them back. the rest of the panel tweaks I could live with/without. I would also admit the almost ridiculous way Ubuntu uses the top panel to control an applications menu.

so any help resolving this minor but important issue is appreciated

thanks erl

erly_Cuylers

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
I found a solution for application titlebars being controlled in the top panel here the second answer down.

you can also search appmenu within synaptic and uninstall each application you dont want in the top panel including firefox and thunderbird.

I guess I am stuck with the top panel for now, as I cannot find a solution. I still like the flavor though.

cheers