sportsfan12321

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
Hi everyone,
So you are my last resort as i've been reading multiple forums for the last 3 days.
Here's the run down

On Wed 19th, My 64-bit windows hp pavillion dv4 crashed and i called hp tech support to see what to do
The tech guy said that windows for some reason had become corrupt and that I needed to back up my files using hp's built in software and then do a system recovery to return the notebook to original factory settings (as they don't give discs anymore).
So I followed the instructions, bought an external Harddrive, and backed up all my necessary files.
The program finished backing up and said that it sucessfully completed so then i proceeded to perform the system recovery.
Once completed I went to restore the backed up data.
On my external hard drive is a folder called

MINWINPC > Backup Files 2008-11-19 190034

and in the Backup Files 2008-11-19 190034 folder are 2 files

backup.1 (an application) 2440 kb
backup.2.fbw 21.5 gb

So I followed the instructions and executed the .exe and it opened up into HP Recovery Manager but when i do so, it says there are no files to restore.

So i went on various forums and did research and saw that many others had similar problems

I tried their solutions:

adding leading 0's to the backup.1 and backup.2 -> backup.01 and backup.02
deleting the C:/System Recovery Files folders
Copying and pasting the 2 files from the external hard drive to my notebook desktop
running the application and trying to restore each type of file individually

but every time i attempt this i get the error "RestoreWiz application has stopped working"

I attempted to try this on an XP based computer but it did not work fully although i did not get to try every possible solution on it yet as the XP was not mine.

I do hope that someone can help me and I thank you for your time.

I did find this from a tech support forum. This guy was having a somewhat similar issue, he read the small print and found out he was supposed to use a DVD or a CD instead of an external HD, when he copied the files over it worked apparently - not sure how you would do this with a 21.5 gig file though!

You probably already found this link I bet.

I found the solution! If you read the small print on the recovery disk instructions, you are supposed to back up your data on a CD or DVD. I didn't read this and backed mine up on an external hard drive. Bad move. I wasn't able to restore my files.

Now I have the fix. First, copy EACH of the files onto its own DVD. (don't try to fit 2 onto a DL dvd--it won't work--I tried that). Copying these huge backup files (~3.5GB each)is very time-consuming, but it's the only way to get your files restored. So now you have one disk for each of the files in your backup folder (I had nine disks-my files ranged from backup.001.fbw to .009)

Next, reboot your computer in Safe Mode (continually click on the f8 key until the menu appears so you can make that selection as your computer is rebooting). Once Windows has started in Safe Mode, put in the DVD containing the first file--the one called backup.001.exe. Open "my computer" and double click on the file to start it. The recovery manager panel appears, and your DVD is ejected. You're then asked to put in your last disk. (mine was backup.009.fbw. Yours may be different.) The "NEXT" button on the recovery manager panel will activate. Click it, and you're on your way! You'll be prompted for each of your disks in descending order.

I spent about 6 hours total with HP support, and no one was able to help me. I figured this out on my own, I hope it works for you!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/windows-vista-support/190926-how-read-back-up-files-vista.html

TheOfficeChick

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Sportsfan1232...
Did you ever find a solution to your problem with the HP/Vista/Restore files in FBW? I am in your hell even as I type and would love to know there is hope! Please email me your solution or ideas at TheOfficeChick@aol.com At least my email isn't dinked up!!
Thanks,
Lisa :)

G

Just wanted to say "THANKS" a million times over. It worked!!!! I had to recopy the discs separately just like you said..... I thought my files were lost forever. I have never been able to recover my files in the past. You are a genius. Thanks Again...

gerrykersey

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
I realize this thread is very old, but wanted to point out how I resolved the similar problem of disappearing files from a backup to an external hard drive.

The first thing I did was to go to the external hard drive and in Tools - selected folder options. Then go to View and select Show Hidden Files. Once applied, I saw all of the files. One needs to select all of them and right click going to Properties. Uncheck the boxes for Read Only & Hidden and then I apply. Voila - everything was now viewable. You might want to go back to Folder Options and Hide your system files.

It worked for me and I have the same HP Restore setup as has been described.

Gerry Kersey