Sign in with
Your question

Vista Install Problem

Last response: in Windows Vista
November 21, 2008 3:38:17 PM

First off, thanks for any help or suggestions.

My system:

INTEL Q6600
ASUS P5Q-E mobo
4 gigs of G.Skill (2x2) DDR2 800 RAM
WD 8OG FOR OS SATA
WD 640 SECOND DRIVE SATA
HIS 4850 VIDEO CARD
SAMSUNG 22X DVD DRIV

I have read through some of the threads here and there might be a couple of things I can try when I get home, but I thought I might present this problem and see what you guys thought.

This is a brand new machine. Boots up very good to bios. I went through and set a few of the things I know I should set. ie; time , HHD's to AHCI , made sure bios was seeing everything. Everything looked good there. Made sure USB was set ok.. when I 'save and exit' out of bios the boot up continues on to where it wants a start up disk.

Here's where the problem is. I put my Vista home premiun 64 bit w/sp1 in my DVD rom but the computer does not see it. I tried it after I got to that load screen and also by putting the disk in first before I turned computer on. Same results; it hangs up looking for disk. Tried it maybe 4 times. I then put a windows XP disk in that I had with a older machine and it booted right up and started the install. I stopped it and tried again with Vista, same thing as before.

For what ever reason with the XP disk it can see it and not the Vista.

When i get home, I'm going to try with only one stick of memory instead of 2, but other then that, I'm at a loss for what I should do. There are a lot of good suggestions in different threads but I'm not for sure any of them really pertain to my situation. This being my first Vista install I don't know what it's looking for. The hardware seems to be ok. I figure this because it would boot XP.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. And thanks again

Ed

More about : vista install problem

November 21, 2008 3:57:04 PM

I have had the very same thing happen with a new, never formatted Western Digital hard drive. Vista 64 will not format the drive, but windows xp will. I simply formatted the new WD hard drive with XP. Then Vista recognized the drive and loaded the OS no problem. I would load my OSon the WD 640, it's faster than an 80GB WD SATA.
November 21, 2008 5:28:49 PM

Thanks Badge; I will try that when i get home and post results so others will know.

Putting the OS on the 640g would defeat the purpose of haveing it on its own drive. Not for sure if your referring to the read/write specs , but the difference in the 2 is in the milliseconds and me being a slow old man, I doubt I would notice a difference in that, even though I know the computer could.
Related resources
November 21, 2008 5:43:28 PM

Quote:
me being a slow old man, I doubt I would notice a difference in that, even though I know the computer could.

Damn, how old are you? :lol:  I am older than 90% of the people I interact with on a daily basis. Beat that percentage if you won't say your age. :sol:  Let's just say my brain cells are at a managable level these days. :o 
November 21, 2008 5:45:47 PM

Just load up XP on your hard drive. After you ahve done that, formatted the new HD, Vista 64 will load up. I had the very same experience with a new WD hard drive and the installation problem of Vista 64.
November 21, 2008 7:25:27 PM

I forgot my birthday but is 60 old enough?
November 21, 2008 7:56:10 PM

olddman said:
I forgot my birthday but is 60 old enough?

I want to say, "hey kid get outta my yard." But, I won't. Just glad to be alive! :lol: 
November 21, 2008 10:19:58 PM

Oh well, it isn't the first time I lost. :( 

I give thanks everyday I wake up. :hello: 
November 21, 2008 11:54:03 PM

well that did not work. XP went through the process of loading up drivers and such then it went into ' a problem has been detected'. It tells me then to check and make sure hard-drive is properly configured and terminated. Run chkdsk.

I also disconnected 1 drive and 1 memory chip and tried again to no avail. Back to reading and searching.

I guess I'm going to have to find someway to format the drive.
November 22, 2008 12:08:37 AM

Well let's get three old men looking at this, LOL, maybe between the three of us . . .

from reading the thread I'm having a little trouble understanding:

Quote:
Here's where the problem is. I put my Vista home premiun 64 bit w/sp1 in my DVD rom but the computer does not see it. I tried it after I got to that load screen and also by putting the disk in first before I turned computer on. Same results; it hangs up looking for disk. Tried it maybe 4 times. I then put a windows XP disk in that I had with a older machine and it booted right up and started the install. I stopped it and tried again with Vista, same thing as before.

From this I am hearing that the BIOS is not seeing the Vista DVD, or at least that it does not see it as a boot disc, one or the other, correct?

We know the BIOS is set to see and boot from the DVD drive because it does boot the XP install CD, this confirms that the DVD drive is probably OK and properly configured, correct?

What is confusing me is that Badge seems to be talking about getting to the point where the Vista DVD can't see a HD to install to, but it seems that you have yet to get that far. But then you pick up later also talking about the HD and indeed come back with a message from XP install that there is a HD problem.

So it sounds at least like there are two problems - can't read Vista DVD type of problem AND can't install XP to a HD type of problem.

Could you clarify please. Thanks.

If you indeed cannot see/boot from the Vista DVD have you confirmed that another PC will boot from it? It could be damaged.
November 22, 2008 1:10:49 AM

To start over explaining what I have done.

I set bios up with the changes I listed before. Nothing extreme. "saved and exited". The computer continues with the post/start-up. It gets to the 35 second start-up screen. The DVD rom flashes like it's trying to read the VISTA disk but nothing happens. After about 3 flashes like its trying to run it stops. It just sets there. Monitor is showing "ready to boot". I let it set there for about 10 minutes to make sure it wasn't doing anything. I tried this maybe 4 times. I tried it with the disk in at restart and also when it got to the screen where I say it's looking for something to boot up from. I then put in a XP disk.
It went past the looking for something to boot from and it started to load files from XP disk. I stopped it because I looked at it like everything was ok, and the computer just could not see the Vista disk, or the Vista disk could not see the hard drive. I did not know which. This is first computer I ever built and I have never installed a OS before.

This morning at work I started this thread looking for ideals what was going on. I also read some other threads with folks having problems close to the same but not exactly. I did read some things I thought might help. I also researched Western Digital's home page looking for ideals.

Badge was the only one that posted and he suggest that I put the XP disk in and format the drive. Made sense to me so when I got home I tried it. I also read where I should try just 1 stick of memory so I took one out. I also disconnected 1 of the drives. I went into bios and set the dvd rom as the only boot up drive. Then I put in the XP disk and was going to format drive but after the disk loading various files/drivers it halts and gives me 'a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down'. It also says "if this is the first time I have seen this stop error screen, reboot computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps".
1- check for virus's
2-remove any newly installed HDD's and controllers. Check drive to make sure it has been properly configured and terminated. I presume they are saying to make sure it has been formatted. It has not.
3- it goes on to say "run chkdsk" but I have no way to do that.

That is where i am at now. I figure I need to format the drive with some software but I don't have any. The last new hard drive I put in came with a floppy to set the drive up. These drives I have were OEM and came with nothing.

Hope this helps. Appreciate you looking and commenting notherdude. I know you are knowlegeable and give good advise.

So thanks

ops- almost forgot- Yes I did put the Vista disk in this computer and it worked ok.
November 22, 2008 2:32:33 AM

Do you have both the SATA cable from the MB SATA header and the Power connector connected from the Power supply? Check the cables carefully. Maybe replace the SATA cable, it may be bad. Is the HD appearing in the installation console? For starters, I would just default the BIOS, don't set anything from the defaulted BIOS except to boot from the DVD drive. That's it. Default BIOS, then set first boot device to DVD, save and exit. From the installation console, you must choose a partition, then format the drive that partition is on. Is the HD with a partion space available showing up? Then failing during format procedure? Failure must be caused by a bad piece of hardware or 'msconfiguration' of the hardware (system assembly).

November 22, 2008 3:04:12 AM

Quote:
Badge was the only one that posted and he suggest that I put the XP disk in and format the drive. Made sense to me so when I got home I tried it. I also read where I should try just 1 stick of memory so I took one out. I also disconnected 1 of the drives. I went into bios and set the dvd rom as the only boot up drive. Then I put in the XP disk and was going to format drive but after the disk loading various files/drivers it halts and gives me 'a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down'. It also says "if this is the first time I have seen this stop error screen, reboot computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps".
1- check for virus's
2-remove any newly installed HDD's and controllers. Check drive to make sure it has been properly configured and terminated. I presume they are saying to make sure it has been formatted. It has not.
3- it goes on to say "run chkdsk" but I have no way to do that.

It sure sounds like you have a basic stability issue going on here, something having to do with motherboard/ram. I would strongly advise that you check your RAM settings. That Gskill you have, what voltage is it supposed to be set to, look on the RAM itself for a little sticker or else on the package, it will probably say 2.0v or 2.1 v or 2.2 v. You need to go into your BIOS and manually set the RAM to that exact number. Most MOBOs default to 1.8 and this is a very common cause of stability problems - and yes, use only 1 stick of RAM until you sort this out. If correcting the voltage does not fix the problem then it may be another setting but voltage is main suspect.

Save this part below for later. LOL I wrote it before reading all of your post carefully.

Well it sounds to me that you have a problem either with the Vista DVD itself or with the DVD drive not being able to read from it. This would have nothing directly to do with the hard drive. The DVD install disc is not even looking to see if you have a hard drive connected until you have passed through few initial screens but it seems that you have not seen any Vista install screens, correct?

In the beginning the hard drive is not even involved at all. That Vista DVD is fully able to boot from itself and start the install procedure by loading itself into RAM, not onto the hard drive. This happens even if you have no HD in the system at all.

What we need to know is if that Vista disk is bootable. You say you checked it on that PC and it was OK but reading it from within Windows and booting from it are two different things. The best thing would be to put it in a different computer entirely with a different DVD drive and attempt to boot from it. If it boots and you see the Vista install loading up you can simply cancel it before it does anything more. This would rule out some error on the disk itself that for some reason is making it not boot.

If this is not practical then let's just assume the disk is OK but for some reason the DVD drive cannot read that particular disk. We can probably assume the DVD drive is not broken since it can read from the XP disk, correct? So why would a DVD drive boot from an XP disk and not a Vista disk? The easiest thing to try would be to put another DVD drive in your new PC and see if it will boot the disk. Some drives are picky about reading disks, they might read one brand and not another, the disks commercial software are written on are supposed to be more or less immune to this inconsistency but there are exceptions. It could be some odd configuration issue in the BIOS and there are other things we could try there.

If you try another DVD drive we would have a lot more data and could cross whatever bridge we get to then.
November 22, 2008 9:59:06 AM

Good Morning;

I went into the bios and checked the voltage for the DRAM. It was set to 1.8v ( like you said it would be)..the DRAM stick said 1.9 so I changed it. The bios had the CL set to 5-5-5-15 and the RAM stick said it was 4-4-4-12 so I changed it also.Even though, from what I have read I didn't think that mattered at this point, but I figured 'why not' since I was in there. I saved and exited.

Put the Vista disk in and same thing. It hung up trying to boot. By the way, I did make sure the disk was bootable when I checked it in this computer. So I came back and read the rest of your post notherdude. You mentioned using another drive to boot from. I do have two dvd drives installed. I like to think I'm a common sense person, but out of all the things I tried, it never occurred to me to switch them and try the other one.

I did, and Vista booted right up and it is installing as I type.

Notherdude; I give you much thanks for your info and help. You also Badge for your ideals and suggestions.

Thanks

Ed

November 22, 2008 12:01:35 PM

olddman said:
Good Morning;

I went into the bios and checked the voltage for the DRAM. It was set to 1.8v ( like you said it would be)..the DRAM stick said 1.9 so I changed it. The bios had the CL set to 5-5-5-15 and the RAM stick said it was 4-4-4-12 so I changed it also.Even though, from what I have read I didn't think that mattered at this point, but I figured 'why not' since I was in there. I saved and exited.

Put the Vista disk in and same thing. It hung up trying to boot. By the way, I did make sure the disk was bootable when I checked it in this computer. So I came back and read the rest of your post notherdude. You mentioned using another drive to boot from. I do have two dvd drives installed. I like to think I'm a common sense person, but out of all the things I tried, it never occurred to me to switch them and try the other one.

I did, and Vista booted right up and it is installing as I type.

Notherdude; I give you much thanks for your info and help. You also Badge for your ideals and suggestions.

Thanks

Ed

That's great! Glad you up and running. Let us know how you like Vista. Lot of us around here actually like it and think it has been unfairly smeared by the Apple ads and the tech press.
November 22, 2008 2:36:07 PM

Well, I knew the WD 80gigs were prone to failure, after all I had one go down after being warned by someone I trust. But, your's never made it out of infancy! Glad you got the system up and running. The 640GB WD I have performed great for me while I used it for a trial Windows Home Server. I have one more WD 80GB and I use it as storage on a dual boot Vista/XP. Oh, and I have a second 80GB WD in my Athlon socket A AMD 3200. The rest I have sold in systems over the years.

EDIT: I have a third WD 80GB! It' sitting here next to me in an external enclosure. After I completely loaded up my main Vista 64 rig, I burned a copy of the original install with Acronis True Image. Hope it don't fail if i need it. Could save me a few days work.
!