Solved

LInux won't boot on my external HD

Hello, I have an external hd attached with an usb . I installed linux live on it using usb linux live creator . everything worked properly . and while starting the computer , i choose the boot priority to usb hard drive then a black screen was shown and it stuck there for 10 minutes .
anyone knows why linux wont boot from the external HD ?
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about linux boot external
  1. Let me just make sure I understand what you did here

    Boot LiveCD or USB Pen with Linux on
    Run the linux live creator - I'm guessing you're running Ubuntu?
    Point the live creator at the USB HDD to say create there.
    The install script ran and said all OK.

    You then try to boot from the USB HDD that you installed to and nothing happens?

    First things to check:

    1. Do you have any other USB drives connected? If you do then remove everything but the USB HDD you installed to.
    2. If you boot off the CD / Pen Drive and plug in the USB HD then can you see that drive and read the files on it?
    3. When you formatted the USB HDD what did you format it as? Fat32? NTFS? The drive has to be Fat32 to work, it will not boot from NTFS.
  2. Quote:
    Let me just make sure I understand what you did here

    Boot LiveCD or USB Pen with Linux on
    Run the linux live creator - I'm guessing you're running Ubuntu?
    Point the live creator at the USB HDD to say create there.
    The install script ran and said all OK.

    Yes , that is exactly what i did


    Quote:
    You then try to boot from the USB HDD that you installed to and nothing happens?

    Yes , nothing happens but a black screen !



    Quote:
    1. Do you have any other USB drives connected? If you do then remove everything but the USB HDD you installed to.

    Nope , i don't have anything connected .
    Quote:
    2. If you boot off the CD / Pen Drive and plug in the USB HD then can you see that drive and read the files on it?

    Yes , i did try that but same black screen appear



    Quote:
    3. When you formatted the USB HDD what did you format it as? Fat32? NTFS? The drive has to be Fat32 to work, it will not boot from NTFS.


    Actually the linux usb creator already did the task ( it converted the partition to FAT32.


    and for the record , i dont the HD I have is an internal laptop hard drive which i use now as external using an usb attachement device
  3. Best answer
    Quote:
    2. If you boot off the CD / Pen Drive and plug in the USB HD then can you see that drive and read the files on it?

    Yes , i did try that but same black screen appear

    Ok. this is suggesting an issue with the disc. You should be able to read that disk under linux or Windows when you connect it. That it gives you a black screen suggests to me that there is something very wrong with the disc or the USB controller.


    Quote:
    3. When you formatted the USB HDD what did you format it as? Fat32? NTFS? The drive has to be Fat32 to work, it will not boot from NTFS.

    Actually the linux usb creator already did the task ( it converted the partition to FAT32.

    Ok. What might be an idea is to boot into Ubuntu via LiveCD, open the partition manager, connect the USB drive and let us know if it sees anything. It might be the Live creator messed things up. You should at least be able to see the Fat32 partition on it.
  4. Best answer selected by norax.
  5. It worked !!
    it was just a problem of the usb connector !! i had if fixed and voila Ubuntu is booting :)
    Thanks for you time and your help !
  6. No problem, glad to hear you got it all sorted :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Boot USB HD Linux