Sapphire 2900XTX?

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
Why don't they cherry pick the best cores and thus enable a speed bump from the stock 740MHz on the XTX.. With an additional top bin they should have been able to eek out a little more speed, 850MHz top bin would be nice...

It looks as tho the 600 gpu ocees well across the board, but yea youre right, it would be nice. One of the problems with the XTX from what Ive heard is that the DDR4 doesnt OC worth a hoot, or whatever unfortunate word you wanna use. These are very limiting factors. But like the 1900XTX, it really didnt show any ocing improvements under stock cooler. So maybe theyre going to get the best, crank it up to the burning point, and let it go from there. If the price is right, it will compete nicely with the GTX, as weve seen the XT nudging closer already. But the power consumption, even with the GDDR4 will be high...unless they find a few unleaky cores heheh

logical2u

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
The source they used from Sapphire doesn't have any HD card specs on it.

Either they changed they website or the story is bogus. Sorry.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Not sure if this has been mentioned, been away, but here it is http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20070520232515.html I wonder if this is the same card that DT had? And if so, with new drivers how will it come out? Maybe at least people will understand that the XT is not the top of ATI/AMD Gfx
I expect nothing more than a price increase from the HD 2900XTX. Memory bandwidth is not the R600's problem, or else the HD 2900XT would kill the 8800GTS.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Not sure if this has been mentioned, been away, but here it is http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20070520232515.html I wonder if this is the same card that DT had? And if so, with new drivers how will it come out? Maybe at least people will understand that the XT is not the top of ATI/AMD Gfx

Right now they are the top cards. And if everything goes as usual they will be the top cards for a very long time.

petevsdrm

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
This is true, but the Ultra "kicks" the GTX, so we will see.

Dewd, not really. http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2979&p=4

The ultra is a joke. $200 to go from 105 fps to 109 fps in battlefield! Heck it actually loses performance when compared to some factory overclocked gtx's.

I am not saying that will be the case for the xtx, but I just don't know what nVidia was aiming at with that card. :roll:

I suspect that ati will be able to bump the clock speeds as the yields (and bins) get better. I am looking forward to seeing the xtx "toxic" version with factory watercooling. That should have some decent headroom.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
The Ultra has a Shader clockspeed of 1.5GHz, 150MHz higher than the 8800GTX. Even with this, the difference in performance is very small, although likely not as small as the difference between the HD2900XT and XTX will be. I'm not usually one to say this, but I can tell you've got something against Nvidia. Did they take your first born? :wink:

No ones attacking nVidia here. Is anyone attacking ATI? Im just posting what I found. And if the XTX shows a 10% improvement over the XT, Im sure someone will buy it. I have no idea of the pricing, and who knows how much effect the faster GDDR will effect this card. So, let me get this straight, because the Ultra is faster than the GTX, and ATI or Sapphire is coming out with a XTX, I somehow hate nVidia? I just dont get it. I dont like the idead of the Ultra, and if this card performs/costs the same I wont like it either. What else is there to say? Heres my quote
already. But the power consumption, even with the GDDR4 will be high...unless they find a few unleaky cores heheh
Hows that hating nVidia when Im not satying alot for this card, the XTX?

BigCharb

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
you people have to understand that the XTis to compete with the 8800gts NOT the GTX!! everyone is hating on ATI for not being able to take down the GTX, how can a card take down a more powerful card when its designed to take down a card its own size? the XT though, when over clocked kicks the GTX head first into a brick wall. the XTX is to compete with the GTX and when over clocked she'll take the 8800ultra and mabye even the 8900 cards. ATI4LYF

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
you people have to understand that the XTis to compete with the 8800gts NOT the GTX!! everyone is hating on ATI for not being able to take down the GTX, how can a card take down a more powerful card when its designed to take down a card its own size? the XT though, when over clocked kicks the GTX head first into a brick wall. the XTX is to compete with the GTX and when over clocked she'll take the 8800ultra and mabye even the 8900 cards. ATI4LYF
Isn't that what people were saying about the HD 2900XT? :lol:

If this card comes out with a 10% improvement, and with more mature drivers by the time it does, and the prise range... oh who the hell knows, its always good to speculate. Who knows how itll perform, but it will be something new, and maybe something bettercounting cost/performance wise

TSIMonster

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
My thing is.. the XT uses a good bit more power, runs hotter, and still cannot beat the GTX. Even being released six months later. As an ATi fan, I was greatly disappointed.

G

dude just stop saying that it was suppose to compete with GTS. before the launch everybody was saying 2900Xt is GTX killer and AMD at the last moment said it's suppose to compete with GTS. but in what way. you can get 640MB GTS for 330$ now. and under 1600x1200 even GTS 320 Mb beats 2900XT which you can get for 260$ right now it can't even run any directx 10 games. what does ATI wants us to do wait another few months for drivers now. don't get me wrong i am just mad at AMD lying.

G

i don't see any point in buying 2900xt runs hot, burns more power, and loud. and not a killer. i mean it's like nvidia 5800. no matter how hard nvidia tried with 5800 they couldn't beat 9700 which was single slot as compared to dual slot. so i think 2900xt is same thing it can't beat nvidia in this round. 65mn R600 might have a chance. who know's.

biohazard420420

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
There was another thread a day or so ago with this link:
http://www.nordichardware.com/Reviews/?skrivelse=510

Evidently with better cooling the 2900 overclocks like a champ. They did a run with liquid nitrogen and go up to 1200MHz on the core and with watercooling they got to 930MHz on the core so it looks like as long as you can keep it cool it will keep going up when they maxed it out it was neck and neck with a 8800 ultra in 3dmark '03.

Khan613

Distinguished
May 22, 2007
So the 2900XT fits neatly between the gtx and the gts, just like it was meant to. I don't see whats so bad about that.

I still think its performance rests on devs. ATI's driver devs and game devs. There are a lot of features that are not currently being taken advantage of on the 2900xt. For the moment, all we have are DX9c benchmarks to compare these units with and I was never expecting the R600 to do as well as the g80 in the old DX9c environment.

(Please post some DX10 benchy's if I've missed any)

The G80 seems like a DX9c card with DX10 features added as an after thought. (oh, I'm going to get flamed for that one!) :lol:

I don't think its such a bad thing. I think it was the perfect decision for nVidia especially when you take into account when the card was released and what real world stress it would be under put under for benchmarking.

The R600 seems to be designed with DX10 as its main focus (and backward compatibility as an afterthought). The R600's will be a late bloomer IMHO. Games and drivers will have to mature before we see the real benefit of the "mid ranged" 2900XT.

The smaller process 2900XTX is what I was waiting for. Which will most likely sit between the gtx and the gtx ultra in terms of performance.

Speaking of which...the GTX ultra is a joke. I think the price is set so only absolute enthusiasts (or fanboys) would go for it. And more importantly, it makes the GTX look like a better price/performance product. I've considered buying the GTX myself, especially since the Ultra was released.

ROBSLIN

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
The Ultra has a Shader clockspeed of 1.5GHz, 150MHz higher than the 8800GTX. Even with this, the difference in performance is very small, although likely not as small as the difference between the HD2900XT and XTX will be. I'm not usually one to say this, but I can tell you've got something against Nvidia. Did they take your first born? :wink:

HE IS THE BIGGEST FUKIN ATI FANBOY I HAVE EVER COME ACROSS IN MY ENTIRE LIFE :roll:

ROBSLIN

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
when over clocked kicks the GTX head first into a brick wall.

Care to back this shit up you F@ggot with some benches instead of just running your mouth :roll: I just saw some benches myself over at 3dguru.com with an overclocked 2900XT still getting its ass handed to it by a stock 8800GTX :roll:

ROBSLIN

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
dude just stop saying that it was suppose to compete with GTS. before the launch everybody was saying 2900Xt is GTX killer and AMD at the last moment said it's suppose to compete with GTS. but in what way. you can get 640MB GTS for 330$ now. and under 1600x1200 even GTS 320 Mb beats 2900XT which you can get for 260$ right now it can't even run any directx 10 games. what does ATI wants us to do wait another few months for drivers now. don't get me wrong i am just mad at AMD lying.

Couldnt have said it better myself.

G

would you please give us proof that g80 is directx 9 card with directx 10 features huh? pleaseee otherwise shutup. and for R600 superior design as your are saying. can you run a directx 10 demo game on it?????. first it was GTX killer hype. and now it will be killer in directx 10 hype. :roll: few months more for directx 10 games. then will see what new excuse is for R600 let me make one right now. (drivers are not mature but wait it superior design bull crap) if it doesn't run good it an't superior. it looks good on paper as most people say now. but you don't play games on paper do you.

G

you your point is your ready to buy 2900xt and cool it with liquid nitrogen to get same score as 8800 which is air cooled.