Mute toggles, Search Starts, Random Letter Typing

ThurstonOR

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
On Sunday, I installed IE Explorer 8 Beta on my home PC. On Tuesday, the computer started acting very weird. The search window keeps popping up (with 41 windows opened during one short period). Mute toggles on and off. Keyboard becomes inactive or random typing of letters (either single randoms or an endless string of one letter or symbol) when I try to type email in website boxes, or Word documents. MS Word keeps launching with random typing on an old document occurring.

All of the above is occurring randomly and in various combinations.

I removed IE 8 and replaced it with IE 6. I have always had CounterSpy, SpyBot Search and Destroy, and Norton AV updated and running. I did complete scans again with these programs, as well as with AdAware and Malware Bytes. AdAware and Malware found a few items, mostly cookies, with all being removed or quarantined. HiJack This didn’t find anything particular.

I don’t know what to do. I never know when it is going to act up, but generally multiple times every hour. Thus, it’s becoming a big hunk of useless plastic and metal. Any thoughts?