Intel Intros 3-Series Chipsets with FSB1333 and DDR3

pschmid

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
Intel will launch its beefed-up P35 chipset next month, which will support yet-to-be-launched 45-nm processors at FSB1333 speeds, DDR3 memory and an improved ICH Southbridge. We have all the benchmarks today.

El_Kimo

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
Sounds like a really nice option for us in the performance mainstream market!

I was just about to (finally!) build a C2D rig for myself and was ACTUALLY considering nvidia's 680SLI as my chipset of choice *geez. Now, I'll just hold on for a few more weeks and wait for this new puppy to arrive (in DDR2 form, obviously). Asus P5K Deluxe Wi-Fi edition is looking more and more tempting by the minute!! :)

Anybody knows when these will actually SHOW UP in stores? :oops:

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Some sites already have a few P35 motherboards shipping out.

Google Product Search

Type P35 motherboards and you should get some results :wink:

I think I might wait for the X38 chipset, then give my parents my current motherboard, CPU, and RAM. That, or I'll turn it into a file server or something.

Other than that, can't wait to see what the X38 chipset is capable of.

pcjim

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
But I hate the way the computer industry dribbles out the technology at premium price. You gotta know they must be at least 3 chipsets ahead in design ready to go - but sadly it's all about the money $$$
Funny my 875chipset M.B. with 2 gigs ram and a nvidia 7900 still runs ANY game on the market today - just fine! I jumped OFF the gotta have the latest greatest bandwagon and never looked back.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I agree with Eurasianman. I'm gonna wait for the X38. I was holding off until the P35, but once again there seems to be a new tech around the corner. Man I hate the waiting game!!!!! You can wait indefinately, but as I am in no rush (my PC is a monster), I can afford to.

When are they expecting to release the X38? Any idea for date?

I think a X38 with $266 Quad core will be lethal. I could wait till Sep, but no later. Need to get the GF on WoW so we can get through the winter, LOL!

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
Intel will launch its beefed-up P35 chipset next month, which will support yet-to-be-launched 45-nm processors at FSB1333 speeds, DDR3 memory and an improved ICH Southbridge. We have all the benchmarks today.

How about application benchmarks? According to Anandtech the new memory controller offers improved performance even when ignoring the faster FSB and memory speeds.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I just read on another post that the X38 will only support DDR3. Can anyone confirm this? If that is the case, I might as well go with the P35. RAM manufacturers like to gouge (saw that with the move to Core 2). Stuff that story.

DDR3 will be a rip off for some time, with similar performance to DDR2 initially. The X38 mobos will be overpriced, and so will the DDR3.

Not sure if that will be worth it. Any idea what the X38 will REALLY offer?

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
The X38 will be $$$ were the P35 is not. I have read that thing about the DDR3 as well. I would think that it will be up to MB manufacturers though. More grounded information would be great.

BushLin

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
<rant>

Not really the focus of our attentions but once again we have a new DDR standard which gives greater clock speeds... but at much higher latencies. Makes you wonder what the point is?

Please correct me if I'm wrong but DDR at 400Mhz CL2 wasn't bettered in performance until DDR2 at 800Mhz CL4 which is where the standard officially stops and non-ratified modules become very expensive. Now we have DDR3 at CL8 which logically needs to operate at 1600Mhz just to hit similar performance levels or something like DD3 at 1333Mhz CL6 to slightly exceed the performance level that's been around for quite some time.

Anyway, my point is that this all looks to me like some cynical people getting good marketing numbers to look better on paper... "1333Mhz DDR3 RAM! Wow, this must be so much faster than what I've got"
Uninformed consumers will always go for the newer, with the bigger numbers but your typical system builder will always go for the cheaper, higher latency modules and the end result is a slower system.

I wouldn't put anyone off buying the new Intel chipsets, I also understand that memory performance isn't as much an issue for Core 2 processors due to their cache but at the same time I'd advise most to stick with decent DDR2 until DDR3 has it's clock speed ramped up or latencies are lowered to something reasonable.

</rant>

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Probably in the next few weeks. We are nearly there - just hang in there guys.

I really wanna know if X38 supports DDR2, cause that will make the difference between buy now or wait 6 months. A big diffs.

RAM - dont bother until prices are cheap and timings are tight (~4). Its a scam.

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
PCI Express 2.0. But I believe that video cards aren't even close to maxing out the bandwidth already available on PCIe 1.0.

Kind of like the whole AGP 4x -> AGP 8x didn't really show much increase in performance :tongue:

Btw, Fishboi, what's wrong with your current rig? It's not much different than mine :tongue:

The only reason I'd see jumping onto the X38 wagon is if the numbers are more than 50% increase (in comparison to my motherboard, 975X) and if they could somewhere allow the mobo to run Crossfire and/or SLI! Otherwise... *pulls pockets inside out to reveal lint* yea... this is what being a tech geek does to you... it dries your pockets out :oops:

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Being a techie is one of the worst addictions out there, but its so much fun LOL!!! No, the GF needs a new system so we can figure something out, and I can get a better rig (DX10 card etc).

I just realized something - anyone remember about the 2:1 RAM multiplier. WTF is the point of DDR3 if the FSBs dont reach 600Mhz and beyond ????????? Not sure about the RAM dividers, but if I set mine out of the 2:1 ratio on the P5W DH, it actually decreases my theoretical bandwidth (dont ask why, I dont know either - Sandra says so).

Look at my sig. You can see my DDR2 800Mhz isnt even being used! DDR3 would be a total waste of money until the mobos catch up (probably another year to 1.5 years).

I think I'm gonna go with the P35 in September (3 months on market to work out bugs). I then need to decide between Kentsfield and Yorkfield.

1) Anyone know about release date and pricing on YORKFIELD?

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
BTW: Q6600 (Kentsfield) = $266 on July 22nd. Awesome.

Yorkfield (45nm version of the Q6600) will be better (temps, 1333Mhz FSB - not sure about anything else), but any idea on price and release date????

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Has anything further been mentioned about booting your PC from a flash drive? I know Microsoft was planning to load the OS from a solid state drive in the future so that boot times are very low. Any idea on this?

Any idea how this will affect our Fall 2007 builds?

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Really wish there were more people on THG so that the chances of getting people with the latest stuff are increased. Most of us are poor like me and have to be patient with new tech. Wish we could hear from guys that actually have this hardware so that we dont screw up our hard earned dollars (ie. me going with the 975 vs the 965 etc).

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Hey Eurasia, from your link, the Asus P5K = $143. The Gigabyte DS3P = $245.

WTF???????? I thought Asus carried the enthusiast boards.

anticupidon

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
i was just about to post the same thread
but it is not a competition
what stirred my attention in this article was
On the other hand, the upcoming X38 chipset will offer more goodies that are worth waiting for: PCI Express 2.0 and even better overclocking potential (beyond the FSB1900 speeds that we hit without much tweaking) are must-haves for enthusiasts.

Hathorian

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
Hey Eurasia, from your link, the Asus P5K = $143. The Gigabyte DS3P = $245.

WTF???????? I thought Asus carried the enthusiast boards.

$143 is for the P5K vanilla. The P5K deluxe is listed there at $225. The P5K vanilla seems like a good value mobo....

hannibal

Distinguished
PCI Express 2.0. But I believe that video cards aren't even close to maxing out the bandwidth already available on PCIe 1.0.

Kind of like the whole AGP 4x -> AGP 8x didn't really show much increase in performance :tongue:

I think that the best part of PCI 2.0 is increased electricity capacity. When we now have to use even two extra power connectors to our GPU, PCI 2.0 will provide more juice to GPU tha PCI 1.0.
So we don't see speed upgrade, we will see power upgrade.

Whizzard9992

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
I see no reason to upgrade as long as I can run Penryn on my 965 DQ6 (Rev 3).

5% isn't worth the $400 price tag to upgrade ($200 mobo $200 RAM).

I'll be a little upset if my rev 3 board (which is s'posed to support 1333 MHz chips, which may or may not be 45nm) doesn't support Penryn.

FatFunkey

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
does anyone know if it will support 2 16x PCIE lanes for CrossFire? the 975x runs at 8x/8x in CF and with GPU's taking more and more bandwidth :\ just wondering