Need help wiping deal hard drives and installing ubuntu

davidabutler1981

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
I currently have vista installed on the computer with 2- 100 gig hard drives. Windows will not load at all I have tried using a boot disk and safe mode but they all freeze on the blue desktop screen and the only thing I can do is move my pointer around. I have tried to use the ubuntu disk to wipe and install but it dosent get passed the screen after telling it i want a full install. I am somewhat of a noob but am far from computer illiterate. Any help on completely wiping the hds and putting ubuntu on would be extremely helpful

chamaecyparis

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010

Completely wipe? Easy enough -- get System Rescue CD at sysresccd.com and once burned to CD at no more than about 10X ( to ensure integrity) bott to it and after hitting the default a few times you will arrive at a page that says to enter either "wizard" or startx". At the multi-colored prompt, enter the commad some calldata destroyer, but that's another story --

[cpp]dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=4096 conv=notrunc,sync [/cpp]
use sda for hard drive one and sdb for hard drive two.

Go make a sandwich because it will take a while to wipe zeros to the hard drive. Once done (you'll see about four lines of data that says there is no more room and the rate of writing t the drive), type in the desires "startx" and wait until you see another terminal waiting for you to type in a command (usually a yellow-colored window). There, type in
[cpp]gparted[/cpp] and partition your dirve.

Best wishes!

BTW: why so impatient -- it's the end of a long weekend in the States, you know.