Sign in with
Your question

Which USB 3.0 controller

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
November 27, 2011 9:18:47 PM

Hello,

I have a PC with Gigabyte 790XT UD4P motherboard. It's dual boot system with Linux Mint and Windows 7. PC is rather fine, but it misses one thing I need - USB 3.0 ports. So I'm considering buying PCI Ex x1 card with (at least) 2 USB 3.0 ports. Does anyone has advice on which card to buy (or at least which chipset is my best option). My local store offers me these cards:

http://www.magazinrs.hr/controller-transcend-pdu3-usb30-pci-express-x1-2ch-1-pack/TS-PDU3
http://www.magazinrs.hr/asonic-pci-e-card-adapter-2port-usb30/aso-pcie-card-usb3
http://www.magazinrs.hr/kartica-usb-30-pci-e-x1/wire-usb3.0-pci

Site is on Croatian, but I guess you'll decipher which cards are those :) . Price is very similar for those 3 cards so it's not a problem. I just want to know which one of those (if any) works OK on Linux (Linux is my primary OS and I need USB 3.0 port working on it)? Or, if those cards are not good, does anyone have suggestion which one to buy?

Thanks in advance!

More about : usb controller

November 29, 2011 3:09:21 AM

So long as the chipset on the card adheres to the XHCI interface standard (which they all should, that's why there's the standard) it should work so long as the kernel has XHCI support built in or as a module (can check by doing something like zcat /proc/config.gz|grep -i xhci from a terminal)
November 29, 2011 5:37:47 AM

Thanks. I ordered transcend PDU3, hope it'll work fine.
Related resources
November 30, 2011 1:36:12 AM

According to this, even older kernels should have the support built in. There seems to be an issue with suspend-to-RAM and XHCI with some versions of the kernel (Mint 11, I think, is what matches up), but if you can live without suspend or if you want to push through and grab the latest kernel source and compile it yourself, you should be fine.
November 30, 2011 5:38:00 AM

Well, while "looking around the web" for info I found many post describing problem (of course, it's always like that), so I was wandering if anyone has "first hand" experience. However, as I said, I ordered Transcend PDU3 and I hope it'll work. After installation I'll post in here if it works OK, so if anyone else is having same dilemma...
November 30, 2011 7:11:34 PM

Hello, everyone.

I just wanted to let you know (if someone is interested) that I decided to go with "Transcend PDU3". I purchased the card, installed it and for now, it seems to me that it works fine :) . Currently I only have one USB 3.0 memory stick (32 GB AData S102), and managed to copy approx. 15 GB of data from it with an average speed of 63.5 MB/s. While it's not so much (actually, it's just a little above upper speed limit of USB 2.0), it is more than 2x faster od that same memory stick when connected to USB 2,0 port, so I'm happy for now. In a few days I'll have one external USB 3.0 HDD and will see how it works.

All in all: if anyone is in same dilemma I was 2-3 days ago - it seems that Transcend PDU 3 works just fine under Linux.
December 1, 2011 1:39:12 AM

As I mentioned, so long as the manufacturer adhered to the xHCI standard (and any reputable manufacturer should), it will "just work TM" with the same kernel module. Glad to hear that things worked out for you, most of the issues people were seeing were due to growing pains from older kernels without support backported or early support not being thoroughly tested yet (paying the early adopter tax)
!