Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
When SP3 first came out, I jumped at the opportunity to update my perfectly running smooth computer with SP3 for windows. As soon as I did install SP3, nothing seemed to work correctly anymore and I had to end up reformatting my computer. It destroyed my perfectly good up to date computer. Yes I have a genuine copy of Windows XP if that's what you were about to say. So my question is, did anyone else every have a problem with SP3, are their known issues, and should I risk installing it again? I have always believed in if its not broke, then dont fix it. Well, sometimes my high hopes and curiosity of updating will improve performance from what it already is, gets me in trouble sometimes. Let me know guys. I will hold off for a bit. Thanks.

wahjahka

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2008

i have sp3 and everything is working fine, no problems :)

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
I just got a new mobo, CPU, and more ram and reformatted hard drive and reinstalled windows. I installed SP3 and everything seems to be running fine. So I dont know what it was before, but its working now. I would just say if you have had a good system running fine for a long time then dont update to SP3. If you have a newer system then I guess you will be fine.

ko4qc

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
I had some problems with the previous service packs but SP3 runs flawlessly...like 4ryan6 said,do a clean install and see what happens...you may want to slipstream SP3 into the install if you have WXP SP0...good luck...:>)

barbar

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
After picking up a trogan horse, i did a clean install, and went thru the process of reinstalling programs and drivers.

i had problems with drivers for both my sound card and video card, and althou my web cam driver installed it did not recognise the cam....?
i had to change anti-virus programs as this also wasn't allowed to load....?

i'm using a AMD 64 3500, and it has worked flawlessly up till now. there have been no problems with start up, but it seems Windows wants to validate every driver/program these days, which sounds good in theory, but they have tested everything and i dare say wont.....this means hardware must be continually updated to keep them happy.....no wonder open source is becoming so popular.....

you have to love mircosoft.....they really know how to make your day!!!!

Richard.

TRENDING THREADS