Sign in with
Your question

Please Help!!! VIsta Boots But everything stops Responding.

Last response: in Windows Vista
November 27, 2008 3:21:57 PM

Hello,

Well here we go ill try to explain this the best i can. I boot up vista and everything looks fine i can get online..and do what i need to do..But i cant install anything, run any app. like AIM,X fire,Adobe Illustrator....it just stops responding.. :pt1cable:  I have booted it in save mode and turn everything off when boot up but that dosnt work either.. i do notice Windows is trying to install somthing when it boots up.. and never really does it just sits there trying..this all happened after i tryed to up date my Forceware from NVidia..Stupid me.. i should of left it alone..

Thanks kind a help would be great

System Spec

Windows Vista Ultimate . 32 bit SP1
4Gigs for Ram
Running on a MSI Board SLI
8800GTS 320mb.
November 27, 2008 4:27:37 PM

Can you get to control panel? If so try system restore under 'backup and restore'.

If it looks like Windows is trying to install something then hit crtl, alt, del to bring up task manager and try to shut it down, whatever it is.

You can also boot from the install DVD and get to system restore that way, I think.
December 2, 2008 11:08:35 PM

ctl alt del.. just brings up the lock out screen... i rather not restore..due that i have large amouts of files on the system..and dont really want to loose them by accident.

Related resources
December 3, 2008 2:15:49 AM

Two things jump out at me from what you said.

First delete Xfire and all components until all else is running well. It brings in network settings and other components that only serve to make troubleshooting more difficult.

Second because it has has happened to me get a copy of driver eraser and delete the forceware drivers up to the point where windows boots to pure VGA. This may take up to several attempts as windows tries to revert to the previous versions of your drivers before going to default.
This applies to all Nvidia drivers.

Third can you get to device manager and see what may not have installed correctly?

Fourth are the files you want to keep your files or program files that can be reloaded?
Most games store their customer settings in certain folders. Usually somewhere under your name or your documents. Save those folders along with your letters to Santa and anything else that cant be reloaded and put them on a cd.

December 3, 2008 12:10:52 PM

Rock2292 said:
ctl alt del.. just brings up the lock out screen... i rather not restore..due that i have large amouts of files on the system..and dont really want to loose them by accident.

System restore does not (should not) lose any of your files at all - it just sets the OS back to a previous state, your personal files are untouched
December 3, 2008 4:03:11 PM

Thanks For the Answers guys..

Ill try all that. I got nuttin to loose now..

The Files are mostly..Adobe..Illustrator Files'..for work..

!