Anyone have a problem with imageshack rouge popups?

NewLCD123

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
On my dad's computer with windows XP, while uploading images with imageshack(dot)us, he keeps getting popups that say his computer is "infected" and needs to download antivirus XP 2008/2009. We keep clicking the X but the windows pop up again and again. This problem doesn't occur from surfing any other websites, just imageshack. We found a few rouge files on our computer which the scanner detected and removed. Yet those popups persist only at imageshack. We repeated the steps and are clean with no incident on other websites.

Have you been getting this too? I Googled this and there were a few isolated incidents like this. It appears that anyone can advertize on imageshack and those scammers are putting up popup ads that redirect you to download rouge software. I usually get a popup ad on imageshack. We are done with imageshack and will try other free image hosting servers/sites/providers.

icarus1

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
I have no idea about those rogue popups, but imageshack has some pretty bad downtime. Try either photobucket or tinypic. Tinypic is fast.

Make sure you completely clean all temp files / folders. That Antivirus XP 2009 ia a HUGE pain in my @ss... I've seen so many computers come in the door infected with that garbage... but I've never been able to determine where the hell it's coming from. Whatever you do, DON'T click on it.

ConkersBFD

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011

Yes this has been happening whenever I dont use imageshack, then re-login. It either comes up after I upload a single image, or when I Click the login button. No matter how clean your PC is, it always comes up JUST on imageshack. I have never had this problem before with any other site, and I'm thinking of using a different image hosting site since Imageshack doesnt seem to be very safe.
Some pictures:
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/7759/imageshackvirus.png
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/5272/avguq.jpg