Sign in with
Your question

Is it possible to Format a partially formatted HDD??????

Tags:
  • Windows XP
  • Hard Drives
  • Format
Last response: in Windows XP
October 26, 2008 10:45:34 PM

Hello all. I am running Windows XP SP2. I got a new Seagate HDD 160GB and was doing a fresh install of XP. Everything was going well during formatting the new hard drive but at around 6% my power went out!!!

Now I tried to do the fresh XP install again, but when it tried to format again, there was an error stating hard disk may be damaged!!!

So my question if any are willing to offer suggestions, is the HDD shot or can it be repaired? It sucks that this happened to a brand new HDD. What actually does a partial format do to the sectors? Is this a physical damage?

Thanks all,
Romeo.

More about : format partially formatted hdd

October 27, 2008 4:38:03 AM

Chances are that it's not actually physically damaged, but XP just can't see it. Try using a 3rd-party format utility, such as Darik's Boot & Nuke.
October 27, 2008 2:46:07 PM

Thanks! I'll give it a try.
Related resources
October 27, 2008 4:48:56 PM

Well, I tried Darik's Boot & Nuke but NO success! It didn't read my HDD. It read my 3.5" Floppy drive however and wanted to format that!! I don't know why it read my floppy drive?

Anyone else have suggestions?

Thanks.
October 27, 2008 9:34:32 PM

does it show a drive letter in windows explorer?
Or does it show up in disk management?
I cant tell you exactly where to find disk management in XP right now as I booted to Vista.
If in explorer it shows a drive letter drop into a command prompt and type
chkdsk ?: /f
the ? is the drive letter
It may well cough up a error message but could fix it enough to work correctly.
If not type format ?: and it may format it outside of the install process.
If all else fails you may need to redo the partition on the drive.
If your not familier with that write back and you will get advice on how to do it.

I seriously doubt that a power outage caused any damage. It just didnt format correctly and windows is having a hard time recognizing it.
October 27, 2008 11:24:22 PM

Try installing it in a another computer as a storage drive and formatting it on that machine.
!