Set Laptot as 2nd Monitor

Korso

Distinguished
May 21, 2007
Hi all

I want to set my laptot as 2nd monitor, can i do it?

i know that you can do this with 2 monitors (for example: http://www.sabahan.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/04/dual_monitor.jpg)

but, if i have a monitor and a laptot? (Laptot as secondary)

And... sorry for my english, it's too bad :/

michiganteddybear

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
wont say impossible, but probably not practical.

mostly depends on the laptop, whether or not it has video INPUT (most have a 2nd video OUTPUT). the laptop needs to be able to take an input from an outside source, and put it on the screen. the ones I have seen that have this capability actually have tv tuners or similar in them, and therefore require software to run it. that means that you need to have a fully functioning laptop to run capture software, then re-display that onto the laptop's lcd.

Also, most laptops with capture devices will only capture composite, s-video, and off-air (broadcast), not a RGB input such as you usually have from desktop video card. If your desktop card has s-vid out or composite out, you can use that, but the quality wont be as good as RGB.

basically its probably gonna cost more in aggrevation and time spent than to actually get a 2nd monitor, and acheive a better picture that way too.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
i know that you can set a second monitor to complement the laptop's lcd, although i do not believe this is what you want. is the laptop good enough to run the programs you want/ do what you want to do? if so, then just plug up a second monitor and you're good to go. if NOT, well, then i hate to say that you're probably screwed.

although, just because i don't know how to doesn't mean that its impossible. good luck, anyway!