Questions about Time Warner Austin TX

Last response: in Home Theatre
January 4, 2005 6:30:41 AM

I connected my recently-purchased LG LST-3510 DTV tuner to my TWC basic
cable service. It scanned the channels and picked out all the DTV
signals it could find. I have a strange thing occur when the PBS-HD
channel switches over to High Def in the evenings. As I tune from FOX to
PBS-HD, the audio on PBS-HD is the same as FOX. When I tune to the
non-HD PBS channel and switch back to PBS-HD, the audio is from the
non-HD PBS channel. I cannot seem to decode the correct audio on
PBS-HD!! But, strangely, when the same PBS-HD channel is broadcasting
in SD during the day, the audio works great. Has anyone else
experienced this? Is it my tuner or TWC?

Also, sometimes the video on FOX is "stretched" when it shouldn't be
(e.g. local news). The aspect ration on all other channels seem to be OK.
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 11:37:36 AM

Do you know of anyone else in your cable area that has an HD set that you
could compare? I would call Time Warner and have them diagnose the problem.

Jeff

"cledus" <cledus@noemail.net> wrote in message
>I connected my recently-purchased LG LST-3510 DTV tuner to my TWC basic
>cable service. It scanned the channels and picked out all the DTV signals
>it could find. I have a strange thing occur when the PBS-HD channel
>switches over to High Def in the evenings. As I tune from FOX to PBS-HD,
>the audio on PBS-HD is the same as FOX. When I tune to the non-HD PBS
>channel and switch back to PBS-HD, the audio is from the non-HD PBS
>channel. I cannot seem to decode the correct audio on PBS-HD!! But,
>strangely, when the same PBS-HD channel is broadcasting in SD during the
>day, the audio works great. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it my
>tuner or TWC?
>
> Also, sometimes the video on FOX is "stretched" when it shouldn't be (e.g.
> local news). The aspect ration on all other channels seem to be OK.
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 6:24:02 PM

I am in Austin and get HDTV from Time-Warner Cable via a CableCard. I have
never heard that particular audio problem you describe, with any channels.
You might call TW and see what they say. My prediction: Some variation of
"not our fault". In this case, they may be right.

The "stretched" problem you describe is with KTBC-TV/FOX, not anything you
or the cable company has any control over. For some reason, KTBC has
decided to broadcast everything that goes out via its digital channel,
including SD programs, national and local commercials, in widescreen,
stretched-out mode, rather than putting bars on the sides to keep the SD
pictures 4:3. Irritating.

mack
austin

"cledus" <cledus@noemail.net> wrote in message
>I connected my recently-purchased LG LST-3510 DTV tuner to my TWC basic
>cable service. It scanned the channels and picked out all the DTV signals
>it could find. I have a strange thing occur when the PBS-HD channel
>switches over to High Def in the evenings. As I tune from FOX to PBS-HD,
>the audio on PBS-HD is the same as FOX. When I tune to the non-HD PBS
>channel and switch back to PBS-HD, the audio is from the non-HD PBS
>channel. I cannot seem to decode the correct audio on PBS-HD!! But,
>strangely, when the same PBS-HD channel is broadcasting in SD during the
>day, the audio works great. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it my
>tuner or TWC?
>
> Also, sometimes the video on FOX is "stretched" when it shouldn't be (e.g.
> local news). The aspect ration on all other channels seem to be OK.
January 4, 2005 6:24:03 PM

I also have TW in Austin. I'm using a CableCard in my Sony 42WE655 and I
haven't had any problems so far. (Knock on wood.)
January 4, 2005 9:19:14 PM

"Mack McKinnon" <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote in
message news:myyCd.40334$wD4.13217@fe1.texas.rr.com...
> I am in Austin and get HDTV from Time-Warner Cable via a CableCard. I
have
> never heard that particular audio problem you describe, with any channels.
> You might call TW and see what they say. My prediction: Some variation
of
> "not our fault". In this case, they may be right.
>
> The "stretched" problem you describe is with KTBC-TV/FOX, not anything you
> or the cable company has any control over. For some reason, KTBC has
> decided to broadcast everything that goes out via its digital channel,
> including SD programs, national and local commercials, in widescreen,
> stretched-out mode, rather than putting bars on the sides to keep the SD
> pictures 4:3. Irritating.
>
> mack
> austin

I am in Georgetown and pick up the local stations OTA because Cox has no HD.
KTBC does not even broadcast OTA Digital yet, at least I can not find it.

Rick
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 11:07:39 PM

"texastiger" <bjgamble@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
>I also have TW in Austin. I'm using a CableCard in my Sony 42WE655 and I
> haven't had any problems so far. (Knock on wood.)

My CableCard service has improved over the couple of months since we first
had it installed. I was getting "CableCard Error 161-6" every few days but
(yes, knock on wood) haven't gotten that in several weeks. That required me
pulling and re-seating the card to clear the problem. We were also getting
outages of up to several minutes, especially on the weekends but lately,
they seem to have been reduced to just a few seconds to a minute or two down
every once in awhile. Perhaps as more and more people get online with
CableCards here, Time-Warner will learn how to provide the service.

mack
austin
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 5:47:42 PM

"skippy" <uhhuh@cox-internet.SPAMcom> wrote

> I am in Georgetown and pick up the local stations OTA because Cox has no
> HD.
> KTBC does not even broadcast OTA Digital yet, at least I can not find it.

They do broadcast OTA HD but their digital output is such low power that you
have no prayer of getting it in Georgetown. I can't even get it with an
indoor antenna in NW Austin. One of their engineers told me that they plan
on upgrading to a high-power signal in July of this year.

mack
austin
January 5, 2005 6:20:43 PM

"Mack McKinnon" <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote in
message news:i6TCd.77$3m6.45@fe2.texas.rr.com...

> "skippy" <uhhuh@cox-internet.SPAMcom> wrote
>
> > I am in Georgetown and pick up the local stations OTA because Cox has no
> > HD.
> > KTBC does not even broadcast OTA Digital yet, at least I can not find
it.

> They do broadcast OTA HD but their digital output is such low power that
you
> have no prayer of getting it in Georgetown. I can't even get it with an
> indoor antenna in NW Austin. One of their engineers told me that they
plan
> on upgrading to a high-power signal in July of this year.
>
> mack
> austin

Thats good to know, I was just going off of the information provided on
Antenna Web. Cox told me they were supposed to have HD going by the First
Quarter of 05. We will see.

Rick
!