Hi: I'm confused when trying to find a document, particulary where it says
"Look in"
I don't know where to look so what do I choose? Also, I just "tested" some
searches witha document I know has a certain phrase in it but Search can't
find it. I also know I have a letter titled "words" yet the Search can't find
that either.
--
JVista

On Sun, 22 May 2005 05:35:01 -0700, JVista wrote:

> Hi: I'm confused when trying to find a document, particulary where it says
> "Look in"
> I don't know where to look so what do I choose? Also, I just "tested" some
> searches witha document I know has a certain phrase in it but Search can't
> find it. I also know I have a letter titled "words" yet the Search can't find
> that either.

If you have any idea of where the item you're looking for is at, plug in
that info. Click the button on the right hand side of that text box to drop
down the basic "look in" location list. If no idea, choose "My Computer"

XP Search is terrible at finding text strings. It scans a limited number of
file types. Some suggestions to add file types are in this article:

Using the "A word or phrase in the file" search criterion may not work

Or you can try a different find tool. Personally, I use and like File
Locator Pro, shareware from http://www.mythicsoft.com This same company
also offers a free find tool named Agent Ransack. Either of these programs
is more efficient than XP's Search.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User