I dont want to screw this up

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
This sort of a two pronged question so please bear with me.

I currently am running dual boot on one HDD
XP on C: and Vista X86 on D:
My boot loader is on D:

I want to put Vista X64 on D: and I would like to format D: first for a clean install.
I know the install will complain about the format as the boot loader is there.
Will the install disk allow me to format and keep the boot sector or will it just over write it?
If so how do I do it correctly?
Yes I know to use a second HDD but Im a little financially challenged currently.

My next question is what system protection progs work best with Vx64
I also need the address to the stand alone SP1 installer for Vx64

Speaking of system protection, block unwanted tracking cookies on all your systems.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/60641-cookies.html

EDIT: I've built several dual boot systems using seperate HDs for each OS. Vista 64 will run 32 bit applications with no issues. Only old hardware with poorly supported drivers will show problems complying with Vista 64. Like old printers and wireless network adapters with no Vista drivers, much less 64 Vista drivers. Vista 64 has a very capable built in interface to run 32 bit apps. I have canned all my dual boot systems except one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WOW64

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Ok that s helpful thanks.
I was just a bit concerned with anivirus bacically but included all system protection mainly because I dont know if something could get under my protection in the 32/64 bit conversion.

My big issue is I want to keep the XP install for the kids games so I will need to make sure that I can not screw up my booting abilities..

(read this carefully as there is a lot of technical jargon used)
The boot loader was on c: (XP) until the addition of Vista., and all is well... but now...
My boot loader is on the Vista side (D:)) and I know when I try to format that partition it will complain that it cant because of the newer (Vista) boot setup (BCDEDIT) resides on it.
I dont know if and or how I transfer the boot config back to XP long enough to format the other side and put it back together.
Or if I can delete the loader, format and have it fix itself when I put vista back the way it is now except with VX64.

PS I would like a Pony for Christmas