Sign in with
Your question

Does Your Vista Suck As Much As Mine?

Last response: in Windows Vista
December 2, 2008 4:13:01 PM

I know I don't have the greatest system, but should Vista take quite a few minutes to boot up or run anything?

I recently bought some cheap parts to put together a Vista capable system so I could utilize DX10 (I orignally bought the vid card because of the huge price reduction, but wasn't pleased with Vista running on my old comp). The new components are as follows:

Asus P5N72-T Premium - (good enough backbone to upgrade on later)
Intel E2180 - ($70 piece of junk which I can barely overclock to 25%, all games freeze up even though it passed 24hrs of Prime95)
BGF 8800 GT OCX - (was rather inexpensive at the time of purchase, now I cannot find another one to SLI)
Mushkin HP2-6400 2x2GB - (more cheap junk)
2x Maxtor SATA 300GB drives in RAID 0 (old junk from my other computer)
Thermaltake Toughpower 650W

After a myriad of hardware issues, I finally got Vista to install on a RAID configuration. I had tons of problems installing Vista because for some ungodly reason the optical drive drivers would "disappear" if I were installing onto a RAID disc, and if I didn't install onto a RAID disc then the optical drive would lose DMA functionality (a simple fix which took MS "support engineers" 5 hours to figure out) once the OS had completed installation.

So, does everyone experience Vista lag or is it just because I bought cheap crap? I cannot fathom how system builders like Dell and HP can put together inexpensive components and sell them running Vista if their customers have to experience the same frustration I am.

I'll summarize my questions because I ranted for a while and my train of thought is not entirely straight.

- Does Vista typically take forever to boot and open programs?
- Does the Vista Hardware Score mean anything or is it just nonsense like microsoft's estimated transfer times? (I'm at 5.2 overclocked, CPU and memory limiting)
- Has anyone else ever experienced losing DMA functionality on their optical disc drives? I have a feeling my MB might be shotty based on my case LEDs also not working, but I haven't followed up yet with some tests to verify whether its to MB or the case.

More about : vista suck mine

December 2, 2008 6:06:45 PM

My vista is fine at 5.3 with my AMD 64x2 5600 (2.8Ghz) being the worst of them all
currently 2G ram
It boots in about a minute with Virus protection, AVG Antispyware, Spybot Tea Timer, Sidebar, and a joystick.

If yours is a very new install It may still be indexing.
I dont deal with Intel often but it sounds like something aint right.
I would look at BIOS settings such as floppy seek( turn off)
Boot from usb off etc.
Check system info and make sure it is reporting what you know you have installed and using the correct timings.. SiSoft Sandra can help with that
Also check your network settings If you are by yourself just use TCP/IP and QOS (turn all others off) They all take a good while to load and you arent using them anyway.
Possibly a system driver of some sort.
That would be the first places I would look.
m
l
December 2, 2008 6:24:56 PM

like Pat I have no lag here, zero, my Vista system is as snappy as my XP install on same hardware - this is the same with others here as well, Vista is fine now.

there is clearly something wrong with your hardware/drivers, trust me, we deal with Vista users here everyday and we would know
m
l
Related resources
December 2, 2008 9:52:27 PM

i would run the cpu at stock speed first to make sure you problems are not related to a bad overclock. with that hardware vista should run fine with no problems.
m
l
December 3, 2008 1:35:06 PM

cavedesian said:
I know I don't have the greatest system, but should Vista take quite a few minutes to boot up or run anything?

I recently bought some cheap parts to put together a Vista capable system so I could utilize DX10 (I orignally bought the vid card because of the huge price reduction, but wasn't pleased with Vista running on my old comp). The new components are as follows:

Asus P5N72-T Premium - (good enough backbone to upgrade on later)
Intel E2180 - ($70 piece of junk which I can barely overclock to 25%, all games freeze up even though it passed 24hrs of Prime95)
BGF 8800 GT OCX - (was rather inexpensive at the time of purchase, now I cannot find another one to SLI)
Mushkin HP2-6400 2x2GB - (more cheap junk)
2x Maxtor SATA 300GB drives in RAID 0 (old junk from my other computer)
Thermaltake Toughpower 650W

After a myriad of hardware issues, I finally got Vista to install on a RAID configuration. I had tons of problems installing Vista because for some ungodly reason the optical drive drivers would "disappear" if I were installing onto a RAID disc, and if I didn't install onto a RAID disc then the optical drive would lose DMA functionality (a simple fix which took MS "support engineers" 5 hours to figure out) once the OS had completed installation.

So, does everyone experience Vista lag or is it just because I bought cheap crap? I cannot fathom how system builders like Dell and HP can put together inexpensive components and sell them running Vista if their customers have to experience the same frustration I am.

I'll summarize my questions because I ranted for a while and my train of thought is not entirely straight.

- Does Vista typically take forever to boot and open programs?
- Does the Vista Hardware Score mean anything or is it just nonsense like microsoft's estimated transfer times? (I'm at 5.2 overclocked, CPU and memory limiting)
- Has anyone else ever experienced losing DMA functionality on their optical disc drives? I have a feeling my MB might be shotty based on my case LEDs also not working, but I haven't followed up yet with some tests to verify whether its to MB or the case.

Hopefully you installed Vista with your machine running in its default or stock settings, if you installed with the machine overclocked at all your Vista problems may simply be installation errors, that along with the necessity to set the DDR2 voltage and timings manually PERIOD!, [Especially with the ASUS M/B]before going any further with your installation.

Muskin as with all DDR2 memory may be presently cheap, but Mushkin is not junk RAM, however the timings and voltage needs to be manually set, or it will produce errors exactly the same as my Corsair Dominator will, those installation errors from improperly set memory or a pre overclocked machine could be the reason for the missing optical drive at times.

Quote:
Does Vista typically take forever to boot and open programs?

Vista normally takes longer to install some things than XP did, and sometimes when installing, updating software, or depending on how your AV protection is configured,[It may be scanning startup files], the initial boot can take longer at times as files are being updated before the OP/SYS is available for you to use.

Quote:
Does the Vista Hardware Score mean anything or is it just nonsense like microsoft's estimated transfer times? (I'm at 5.2 overclocked, CPU and memory limiting)

Your total hardware score is the score of your lowest performing component, look at the breakdown of the individual components and you'll see what the lowest performing hardware component is.

You should be getting a 5.9 out of that video card.

Quote:
Has anyone else ever experienced losing DMA functionality on their optical disc drives? I have a feeling my MB might be shotty based on my case LEDs also not working, but I haven't followed up yet with some tests to verify whether its to MB or the case

You didn't list what optical drives you have installed?
However If you have a CDROM drive still installed, it will cost you your DMA functionality, get that freakin thing out of your computer.
The lowest optical drives you should have is a CDRW, but you're better off with DVDRW or DVDROM.
Some people don't want to part with those old CDROM drives!

Your case LEDs may simply be installed wrong try reverseing their connections on the M/B.

Personal Note; I had some problems with Vista in the begining, all my problems were driver related Nvidia being one of those problems, once the driver problems were solved it was a completely different machine, so if you're running the drivers from the 8800 Installation disk, go to Nvidia website and get their latest drivers for your 8800, uninstall the old drivers through the add / remove tool in control panel, then install the new drivers from Nvidia, you'll see a major difference in performance.

I hope this helps you! Ryan

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/237897-44-vista-installation-tips
m
l
December 3, 2008 4:10:22 PM

Some interesting comments have been made, I shall try and clarify further (assuming anyone still cares)!

Of booting:

- I grossly over estimated the time required to boot. Based on my timing skills, (I was too stupid and lazy to look at an actual clock) it takes approximately 1 minute to boot while running stock or overclocked. I killed some unnecessary MB functions and found a slight increase in boot speed.

- My only real start-up programs are drivers for my Logitech keyboard and mouse... and Defender. I don't run any virus protection.

- The system isn't fresh, it is no longer indexing. (I was sure angry at the speed of Vista after my first install, until I found out what indexing was).

Of Drivers:

- All of my drivers are pretty much the latest releases, within the last week or two.

- I updated my video card driver and reduced to stock speed. This cleared up my freezing issues with CoD:W@W. Later, I overclocked and found no freezing so I assume this was a driver issue. I haven't tried any of my other games to verify the problem was solely driver oriented.

Of Drives:

- My optical drive is a DVD-RW. My installation problems associated with installing Vista were not confined to this particular drive, because I tried multiple drives that I ripped out of other computers as well.

- The optical drive could be used to install Vista on a non-RAID HD, but then the optical drive would be unable to read discs in the OS until DMA was removed from the IDE channel.

- Any optical drive could not be used to install a fresh copy of Vista on a RAID HD. I would get "CD/DVD-ROM driver unable to be located" and it would be impossible to find such drivers. The installation was really sluggish, probably due to the fact that the optical drive wasn't working properly.

- I can only install Vista on a RAID drive if I install a fresh copy from another Vista OS. This is a rather important fact which has sparked my attention. I will get into the details below... thanks Ryan!

Note: I have two sets of Vista Installation media, a set of 5 CDs and 2 copies of a DVD. Neither of these are original discs (copies from my old university CDs/DVDs were created from two separate downloads of the installation disc). All of them have successfully installed Vista before, and all of them have produced the same "missing driver" errors as well.

Of RAM:

- MB auto voltage is about 1.92V, stock is supposed to be 1.8V. Its run out of the package like this, not sure why, don't really care though. I manually set the timings because I noticed they weren't running at stock when on auto. I will set the voltage manually as well, see if there is still stability. From what I've read, MBs tend to overcompensate on auto settings.

Of Vista Ratings:

- 5.2 CPU / Memory
- 5.9 Everything else

Of What Could Be Wrong:

- So after all that nonsense you just read, here is what I think may have happened. Since I cannot install Vista straight up on a RAID disc, you might be questioning how I manage to be running Vista on a RAID disc. The answer is rather simple cause I mentioned it above... I had been running Vista on a single drive for a few weeks, then decided to install Vista on a RAID disc while operating in Windows and then pull out all my other drives and pray that the RAID disc would be labeled C: and not G: or H:. After some fumbling around with cables and settings, I succeeded, big deal?

I probably had been running my computer overclocked at the time I installed Vista on the RAID drive. I don't actually remember, but I might have been.

Either way, I'm still not too pleased with all of the problems I've had with the optical drive. Installing Vista was a real pain... I spent every night for probably 2 weeks trying to get it to install properly and use my optical drive at the same time.

Next step:

Install XP on single drive and compare to Vista.

Reinstall Vista on RAID drive at stock speeds.

Smash computer with baseball bat and go back to my P4.

m
l
!