Atardecer

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
Hey all,

Just started having BSOD upon bootup yesterday. No coincidence that i'd just installed Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 i think. Having said that i have Kaspersky on 3 other systems and no problems. I can boot up in Safe Mode no problem but CANNOT boot up in Safe Mode with Networking which suggests Kaspersky as it might try and load Kaspersky drivers? Ive tried disabling kaspersky to load on system startup in settings and also disabled the kaspersky startup service in msconfig but no deal. Ive also tried disabling the onboard LAN controller without luck. All usb/firewire peripherals have been disconnected ( i use the computer for music so have many usb/firewire devices) yet ive not had any problems with any of these. I want to uninstall Kaspersky to see if that helps but unfortunately it will not let me uninstall in safe mode. It always says that windows Installer 3.1 cannot be found because its in safe mode, however, i dont have a problem uninstalling any other program in safe mode. How can i get rid of Kaspersky? And where else should i look for solving this problem. Please help! :cry:

Thanks

BTW, no idea if it helps but the BSOD error code is:
0x0000000A 0x0000004C 0x00000002 0x00000001 0x806E484A

Basic system specs:
Windows XP Pro (SP2)
Intel Xeon X3220
Intel D975XBX2 Extreme
2GB RAM

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Look around in the folder that contains the .exe file that starts Kapersky and look for a file uninst.exe. That will usually uninstall the program pretty well. I like to think that the windows loader keeps better track of the stuff as it pertains to windows and registries, but I cant say for sure.

As for the official answer to the error code
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314063

And yes the error code is crucial if after your prog is off and it still happens.
It actually says stop:0x0000000a (00000000) etc
type that into google and get many possible answers.
Usually just type up to 16 0's

Atardecer

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
Thanks for the replies people,

Yes it goes to blue screen directly after the xp splash/loadup screen BUT before windows actually boots. So i cant uninstall anything booting up normally because i cant get access to windows unless in safe mode. This would suggest that the problem lies with software and/or drivers perhaps? I will look for info on my error codes. Im a bit stumped as to whats going on. I dont have system restore turned on but i do have a recovery disk as a last resort.

Thanks

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
if you can get to safe mode, you should be able to get to the file.
goto start run msconfig and go through your startup progs until you find the Kapersky entry and note where it is.
Then open windows explorer and navigate to that point and in that directory should be the uninst.exe file. Double click it.
It should still work in safe mode.

Atardecer

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
cheers,

I'll try the uninst option. Yeah sturm i already had a go at disabling the kaspersky startup service from msconfig but no joy. Also went into settings in kaspersky in safe mode and checked off the box where you can choose if kaspersk starts upon windows startup. The fact that it wont load up in safe mode with networking - what can i gather from this?

Thanks agin for your help

Jim

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
One other thought that probably wont work but is worth a try
If already installed on your system try a registry cleaning. If it isnt there I wouldnt try to load it. Also possibly a check chkdsk to see if it clears up anything.

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
One other thought that probably wont work but is worth a try
If already installed on your system try a registry cleaning. If it isnt there I wouldnt try to load it. Also possibly a check chkdsk to see if it clears up anything.
OOOPS double post and no way to delete it.

Atardecer

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
Thanks I'll try those. I looked for any reference for an uninst.exe file for kaspersky but couldnt find anything. In the kaspersky folder the uninstall option is referenced as "Modify, remove or repair" but this is just a shortcut to a file in Windows/system32. It doesnt say what it is but i guess its just the windows Installer 3.1 app because i get the same error message. Maybe i could try manually deleting the folder and then removing any reference of it in the registry?

Jim

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Are you familier with the registry?
If so boot to safe mode and goto start|run\regedit then navigate to this location and delete the key for Kapersky and it should shut it off and not let it try to start.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Atardecer

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
Hi pat,

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) theres no reference to anything Kaspersky in that part of the registry. There's not much there but i assume thats because im loading up in safe mode? I disabled any kasperksy service to load upon startup in msconfig previously. Ive sent on systeminfo and help request so hopefully they can shed some more light. Thanks for your help. Ive got a ghost image that i can use, but its a last resort as it only has an image from when the computer was built (yeah im lazy). But most of my important files are not on the boot volume 0 just trying to avoid reinstalling evrything if possible.

thanks

rradhak2

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
HI

I have received the same error you had posted after I installed the kaspersky anti virus 2009. I am only able to boot into windows using the Safe Mode. I am not also able to uninstall the antivirus in safe mode. Could you please tell me what method you finally found to uninstall the kaspersky software? Please give a detailed description. Thank you.

kjbaumga

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
I have the same problem. Service pack 3, installed Kaspersky 2009, ran a scan, now I can only boot into safe mode. No uninst.exe provided, and the installer service doesn't start in safe mode. When I use my Kaspersky CD to see if it has uninstall options, it unpacks the install files and then says something about not having privileges to perform the operation, though I am an Administrator.

I intend to try what ideas I can find from http://forum.kaspersky.com.