Internet Speed Rumor

lazio313

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
So I've heard that it doesn't matter if you have a 802.11b/g router. I was also told that both the b and g will give you the same exact internet speeds...

Is this true?

Wouldn't it depend on how good the connection is (ie. getting n over b/g will get you faster more reliable speeds to the internet)?

G

If your internet connection is 3 Mbs, what difference does it make if your wireless connection is either 11 Mbs or 54 Mbs?

Grumpy

lazio313

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
Oh okay that makes a lot of sense to me now.

So what if I were to compare an excellent signal to a poor signal?

Would there be a performance difference in the speed of internet that way?

G

Only if the speed of the wireless connection dropped below the speed of the internet conection.

Grumpy

lazio313

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
So you are saying that if I have a connection at 54mbs and it drops to say 30mbs the internet will still run at the full 3mbs?

Wouldn't everything be in ratio? So if the 54 -> 30 is say 25% decrease, then the internet wouldn't decrease 3 -> _ what ever the 25% decrease would be?

G

The speed of one connection has nothing to do with the speed of the other.

Grumpy

lazio313

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
so if i have a poor connection because i'm at the max range from the router, then my speed of the internet will still run at 3mbs full?

G

You don't get it do you? If you wireless conection is poor and only 1 Mbs then it doesn't make any difference what the speed of your Internet connection is.

Grumpy

TRENDING THREADS