Solved

Keeping Fedora 15 LXDE

I'm not exactly liking the direction of Fedora development. Is there a way to download all the updates for Fedora 15 LXDE at the end of its support cycle and save/burn them onto a CD or something like that? I would like the LiveCD image as pure as possible.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about keeping fedora lxde
  1. Sounds like you want the Linux version of MS slipstream, where you can for example put all the service packs and updates into a burned copy of the installer. As far as I've seen this is not something done in Linux which I personally find annoying; as previously posted I'd love distros to update the .iso with updates as they come out for those people on low/capped bandwidth connections.

I wonder if you might be able to do it at source code leve by checking out a given revision of the system build, but that's going to take a hell of a while to compile. The other way I think might be possible is to grab them from the update manager cache, but that's nothing more than a wild stab at an idea.

Perhaps the best way would be to build the system in a VM and snapshot it, burn that to a DVD having compressed it and then use that. While you wouldn't be able to install at least you would have a known config, providing that is the format for the VM is still supported. Maybe hedge your bets and use a couple of the popular formats. Then it's just a case of getting a base OS that works OK and loading up the image.
  2. Slipstream would be nice but I want to know if it is possible to simply download all the updates and have Fedora search for them off a disc or something.
  3. I love Fedora 15 LXDE this much that I made my own wallpaper...

Creative Commons Share-Alike Attribution license.
  4. Best answer
    Of course you can integrate updates into a GNU/Linux CD - I've been doing that since at least 2007. That's where nLite got the idea to do it for windows (http://www.nliteos.com/), and that's what forced MS to get on the bandwagon.

In some GNU/Linux distributions making a custom liveCD (including updates, installed software, your own users and configuration etc.) is as simple as running the wizard from the system menu (PCLinuxOS and Mandriva for example). I've never needed to do this in Fedora, but there is a detailed Wiki on the subject: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_a_Live_CD

You can also make your own custom repository and burn to CD, then add it as a resource in synaptic, yum, or whatever other package management app you use. There are plenty of guides online on how to do this for RPM (including one I wrote but can't find).

Hope that helps.
  5. amdfangirl said:
    I'm not exactly liking the direction of Fedora development. Is there a way to download all the updates for Fedora 15 LXDE at the end of its support cycle and save/burn them onto a CD or something like that? I would like the LiveCD image as pure as possible.

May this help?
  6. samtuke said:
    Of course you can integrate updates into a GNU/Linux CD - I've been doing that since at least 2007. That's where nLite got the idea to do it for windows (http://www.nliteos.com/), and that's what forced MS to get on the bandwagon.

In some GNU/Linux distributions making a custom liveCD (including updates, installed software, your own users and configuration etc.) is as simple as running the wizard from the system menu (PCLinuxOS and Mandriva for example). I've never needed to do this in Fedora, but there is a detailed Wiki on the subject: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_a_Live_CD

You can also make your own custom repository and burn to CD, then add it as a resource in synaptic, yum, or whatever other package management app you use. There are plenty of guides online on how to do this for RPM (including one I wrote but can't find).

Hope that helps.

Thanks I will look into this.

Anonymous said:
    May this help?

Not exactly. I have Fedora configured the way I want already. I just have issues with GRUB2.
  7. I hope this auto-magically installs the software I want and installs an updated Fedora 15 LXDE system.

It's being compiled on such a system so I hope it turns out well.
  8. Best answer selected by amdfangirl.
  9. Very impressive, it actually works!
Ask a new question

Read More

Development Download Fedora