Windows Vista 64 bit for gaming?

bhelli

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
I am building a gaming computer at the moment and it was suggested my other Tom's Hardware members that I use vista 64bit OS due to the high power of the machine i'm building. i really dont want a performance hit from going to Vista from XP. ive also heard that some games are more compatible from vista 64 and thusly perform better. can i have some examples of these games? i wouldnt want to get it for increased performance if it only helped in Peggle or something :p
thanks,

As far as I know the only benefit of Vista 64 to gaming is the ability to use a lot of ram, some games run better and load faster when you have 4 or more gig of ram and 64 bit is the only way to use that much ram. This would be power hungry games, not peggle, but which games exactly I have forgotten. WIC and Crysis Warhead performed significantly better on 6 gig than 3 gig in this Corsair study: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/corsairs_internal_benchmarks_why_6gb_better_3gb This is on a core i7 platform.

Other than that gaming is the same on any current MS OS at this time as far as I can see. Vista has caught up with XP on frame rates due to better video card drivers. Vista 64 is just a good choice overall for a gamer/enthusiast who doesn't need perfect legacy support for old apps and hardware - support is closing in on 100% as more and more 64 is becoming mainstream. Contrary to the Mac vs. PC ads Vista is not slow or buggy or whatever vague assertion they are making, it runs quite well now.