File errors in dual boot

garfox

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Wife's HP desktop dual boots win 7 x64 and Ubuntu 11.10
Had crash when updating to 11.10
Had to reinstall windows 7 using repair
Now gparted shows information error on some bad files on the Windows 7 partition.
1. How can I diagnose those errors.
And
2. How far can one use the repair options on the windows disk without damage to the dual-boot?

There are no problems noticeable except cannot install sp1 for win 7.
From what I've read the sp1 is a problem anyhow.
Thanks

PS-I am unable to copy and paste the info note from gparted re the windows partition file errors.

Solution
I'm not sure on the repair utility issues, if there are boot sector problems then it could potentially overwrite the GRUB boot sector with the Win7 one and you'd loose the boot option. It could be fixed if that did happen but I doubt that's the issue.

We need to run a check on the disc with the native Win7 tools; as good as gprated is NTFS is an MS baby and they know it better than anybody else.

Try this at a command prompt or the start menu:

[cpp]chkdsk c: /r [/cpp]

This will need to run as Admistrator so confirm this if prompted. Now please be aware that this can take a looong time to run on a big disc so perhaps best to leave it running overnight. That command should not affect your Ubuntu install in any way, although there is a very...
I'm not sure on the repair utility issues, if there are boot sector problems then it could potentially overwrite the GRUB boot sector with the Win7 one and you'd loose the boot option. It could be fixed if that did happen but I doubt that's the issue.

We need to run a check on the disc with the native Win7 tools; as good as gprated is NTFS is an MS baby and they know it better than anybody else.

Try this at a command prompt or the start menu:

[cpp]chkdsk c: /r [/cpp]

This will need to run as Admistrator so confirm this if prompted. Now please be aware that this can take a looong time to run on a big disc so perhaps best to leave it running overnight. That command should not affect your Ubuntu install in any way, although there is a very very small chance it could affect the boot sector. If it does then we might have to reinstall GRUB but I very much doubt it.

Solution

garfox

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011

OK thanks will check it out tonight or this pm - thanks much -

garfox

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011

I am about to give you best answer - that did it - I caught the wife asleep and ran the chkdsk /f. Went back to gparted and the file errors were gone.
We good to go - thanks much again.