Sign in with
Your question

STOP error on startup!...

Last response: in Windows Vista
December 4, 2008 3:59:18 PM

Hello, so after I used Driversweeper to get rid of my old NVIDIA drivers and rebooted - I got a stop error.(STOP: 0x00000007E (0XFFFFFFFFC0000005....) I can't even boot in safemode!? I am so frustated, I do not know what to do?

This is a list of what I tried, and the results failed, I still can't boot up my pc from safe or normal mode:

Scanning my HDD with Seatools.(the long test). Checking and rewiring everything. Swapping ram sticks. Repairing windows from the windows cd. Boot up in safe mode.

Note: all of above has failed.

More about : stop error startup

December 4, 2008 9:28:16 PM

Try resetting the CMOS jumper. Remove the battery, reset the jumper. Be sure to unplug the Power supply when you reset the jumper.
m
l
Related resources
December 4, 2008 9:38:38 PM

In the future, you can delete a Nvidia video driver from the Control panel> add/remove. Not familiar with driversweeper, but apparently that program nuked your registry.
m
l
December 5, 2008 12:43:05 PM

Dang it! I formatted the system and made entirely new partitions at windows install. When it was installing windows about halfway through I got a another stop error for a second before it rebooted.

What do I do now? I still can't get into my new partition via safe or normal?!
m
l
December 5, 2008 1:16:17 PM

you may have a basic hardware issue - have you run an extended memtest86? that would take both your drives and Windows out of the equation - also be sure your RAM is properly configured in the bios, particularly the voltage and the timings - insufficient voltage is a big problem these days since most MOBO's default to 1.8 and a lot of ram needs 2 to 2.2 volts.
m
l
December 5, 2008 1:29:04 PM

Oh, how do see the timings inthe BIOS? The voltage for the RAM was actually 1.8 from bios, when my xms2 needs 2.1 V.

m
l
December 5, 2008 1:38:37 PM

Mcwaffle said:
Oh, how do see the timings inthe BIOS? The voltage for the RAM was actually 1.8 from bios, when my xms2 needs 2.1 V.

OK, set it to 2.1 and pray. That might be it. Timings are in different placses on different BIOS - usually under 'chipset options' - but there is a good chance the BIOS detected those correctly so just try the voltage thing and see.
m
l
December 5, 2008 1:42:03 PM

I have mate, no luck. It's getting onmy nerves. I can't really test to see if it works since windows failed to install 100% earliyer. :(  and I don't want to format and isntall a 100 times. :( 
m
l
December 5, 2008 4:01:34 PM

Can I use this without getting into windows? I think I need a dos version.
m
l
December 5, 2008 4:07:49 PM

It runs on a self-contained OS, you just burn the ISO (thus automatically making a bootable CD - don't burn it as a data CD) and then boot FROM the CD you burned. It will run automatically. It will not run from Windows or DOS.

If you have NERO or a similar burn utility just right click on the unzipped ISO file and open with the burning program - it will burn an exact image to CD. Then you set the BIOS to boot from the CD/DVD drive and just out the disk in there and restart the system - the rest is automatic
m
l
December 5, 2008 4:08:54 PM

Alright, I'll be back in a quickie.
m
l
December 5, 2008 4:24:25 PM

Urrrhhl.. Why is Memtest86 reading my CPU as a Pentium III 3.0 Ghz? I'm on a dual core e8400 @ 3.0 ghz. :o 
m
l
December 5, 2008 5:31:33 PM

not sure. may not be a problem, is the test running?
m
l
December 5, 2008 9:02:07 PM

FIXED. Thanks for your much appreciated contribution notherdude.
m
l
December 5, 2008 10:14:36 PM

Mcwaffle said:
FIXED. Thanks for your much appreciated contribution notherdude.

What fixed, how?
m
l
!