Smile2DotS

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
Ok i've had windows xp sp2 installed on my computer for a long time, when sp3 came out i installed it and for about a month or 2 it was fine, one day i came back to my computer and it said new updates were available. it was for a security update or something and i clicked install. it went through it like normal and it restarted my computer, usually it restarts by itself but it never did. i turned the power button on/off and it started up but never gave me the confirmation that it installed them. my computer worked for 2-3 days and i restarted it because it was going slow and right after the XP loading screen, it gave me a blue screen saying

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Technical Information: 0x000000ED (0x81259098, 0xC0000005, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

i restarted my computer again and it asked me to start in normal mode or safe mode, i clicked safe mode and it still gave me the same blue screen, same with normal mode and every other mode it gave. no matter what i do i get the blue screen.

can anyone help me as to how to fix this?

G

Boot from your Windows XP CD and choose R at the first prompt to get into the recovery console. At the command prompt type "chkdsk c: /p/r". Keep running chkdsk until there are no errors. If you don't get a C:\WINDOWS prompt, run chkdsk one time and then reboot to the recovery console and rerun chkdsk.

Grumpy