Sign in with
Your question

windows xp professional 32 bit to 64 bit

Last response: in Windows XP
November 4, 2008 8:05:40 PM

hello, i have a question.
i currently have windows xp home edition (32-bit) or w/e and i want to have 4 or 8 gb of ram and i need a 64 bit os for that. i was wondering if i can just buy Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 OEM from tigerdirect.com. will that work?

heres the link from tigerdirect.com:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

if anyone can let me know if this will work that would be great thanks.
November 4, 2008 11:23:34 PM

Drivers for for XP pro 64 bit are hard to find, there are some software incompatibilities. and its hard to find antivirus programs that are compatible. The version you are looking at is an OEM version (which may not allow for an upgrade and instead insist on a fresh install).
Depending on your hardware configuration, Vista64 may be a better upgrade path.
November 5, 2008 12:35:11 AM

iggybeans said:
Drivers for for XP pro 64 bit are hard to find, there are some software incompatibilities. and its hard to find antivirus programs that are compatible. The version you are looking at is an OEM version (which may not allow for an upgrade and instead insist on a fresh install).
Depending on your hardware configuration, Vista64 may be a better upgrade path.

interesting thanks. i would prefer not to upgrade to vista but it would appear that i have to.... :( 
Related resources
November 5, 2008 2:04:57 AM

I can't say that I blame you (I'm still using XP myself), but XP Pro 64 has never been supported as well as it could have been. Now, it's a bit of a dead end.
I don't want to discourage you too much. If you can find to right migration software, you might be able to move your applications (and personal data) from an XP Pro 32 bit instillation to an XP Pro 64 bit instillation. Personally, I'd install a second hard drive and install the 64 bit version on it. Then you'd be able to boot into either version. Afterward, you could work on moving your personal data and reinstalling your apps. It would be more difficult (than a straight upgrade), but I"m sure it could be done.
November 5, 2008 6:48:04 AM

Anti-virus programs for XP64 are readily available. Drivers can be a problem if you have particularly esoteric hardware, but I have no problems. Most things work fine on XP64 and (subjectively) it feels a lot snappier to me than the 32-bit version.

I suspect that you will need a new installation, rather than an upgrade. Double booting is no problem. Re-installation is not a bad idea anyway as it clears out all the old crap.
November 5, 2008 7:18:11 AM

Anyone that says there are driver problems with XP64 is stuck in a timewarp back in 2005. XP64 is just as easy as Vista64 to get drivers for. I use both in dual boot on my desktop, and usualyl live in the XP Boot because it's snappier.
November 5, 2008 8:05:50 AM

As I say, it's the more esoteric, or older, hardware. Try getting a driver for an AdvanSys SCSI card, for instance. But it's no big deal.
November 5, 2008 5:19:29 PM

Obviously, XP Pro 64 has matured a bit since I last tried it. Again, I'd do a dual install (with a fresh drive for XP64). It will make your migration easier (and the other posters seem to agree on the idea of a fresh install). Good luck.
November 5, 2008 9:11:36 PM

iggybeans said:
Obviously, XP Pro 64 has matured a bit since I last tried it. Again, I'd do a dual install (with a fresh drive for XP64). It will make your migration easier (and the other posters seem to agree on the idea of a fresh install). Good luck.

can i buy an oem xp pro 64? (look in one of my previous posts for the link)
and would it be easy to move all my files to the 64 bit?
November 6, 2008 12:38:31 AM

As to your files, one way is to re-install your programs on the new drive. Then copy over only your user files for each program (its tedious and you have to be able to identify those files). Microsoft details this method @ http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457074.asp.... Their method assumes different computers, but once you take into account the fact that you can boot from either drive its easy enough to adapt these instructions.
Your other option is a comerical transfer program (but most of those asume you'll transfer files between two computers via a cable).
Stated simply, you CAN transfer your files, BUT its not that easy.
November 6, 2008 12:43:50 AM

As to your files, one way is to re-install your programs on the new drive. Then copy over only your user files for each program (its tedious and you have to be able to identify those files). Microsoft details this method @ http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457074.asp.... Their method assumes different computers, but once you take into account the fact that you can boot from either drive its easy enough to adapt these instructions.
Your other option is a commercial transfer program to transfer your programs and files (but most of those assume you'll transfer files between two computers via a cable).
Stated simply, you CAN transfer your files, BUT its not that easy.
November 6, 2008 12:54:38 AM

Sorry, see next.
November 6, 2008 6:24:02 PM

iggybeans said:
Sorry, see next.

thanks for the replys
!