Sign in with
Your question

Quick question about my liquid cooling loop

Last response: in Overclocking
May 21, 2007 8:50:30 PM

I'm getting a Thermaltake Kandalf LCS, and I'm wondering two things regarding the water cooling system that comes with it: should I use the tubing that comes with it or buy other tubing, and should I get a T line to better drain my system or will I be fine with the reservoir?
May 21, 2007 9:09:50 PM

Quote:
should I use the tubing that comes with it or buy other tubing

You can use Thermaltake's tubing with few problems. It would look cooler if you have any UV lights inside the case. If you have any issues with tight bends causing your tubing to kink, go down to your local office supply store that sells plastic coil spiral binding accessories and see if they have any at 3/8" size and use this to reinforce the outside of the tubing for tight bends. If you can't find any locally, send me a PM since I have a lot of this stuff on hand usually.
Quote:
should I get a T line to better drain my system

As the system already has a reservoir incorporated on the pump, a T-line would be a bit superfluous, since a T-line's primary purpose is to allow you to easily bleed and top off your cooling loop without having the additional burden of the extra fluid that a reservoir will add to the loop. Design your system so you can quickly detach the tubing from a convenient barb and use the pump to quickly drain your loop. If you use the right fluid, you can also avoid having to change your fluid for any biotic growth that might cloud the fluid.
May 21, 2007 9:14:57 PM

Yeah, I'm just going to go ahead and buy Fluid XP+ Extreme and take no risks with the coolant, but I just wasn't quite sure if the rubing was already good quality or if I would be better served long-term by buying other tubing (like tygon, as recommended in the sticky on this forum).
Related resources
May 21, 2007 9:20:37 PM

Tygon (specifically Tygon 3603) is great stuff, since it is a bit stiffer and seems to hold its shape better around tight bends without kinking (something that can also be overcome if you follow my other advice, and you don't have to spend $4-5 a foot). It also does a good job of resisting cloudiness, something that happens to cheaper PVC tubing as it absorbs water from the cooling fluid (yes, PVC experiences a certain amount of fluid loss due to osmotic pressure). Masterclear tubing also is good about this.

But the tubing that comes with the Thermaltake is pretty decent and will be good for your first build. If you should see that the tubing starts to cloud, you can strip down your cooling loop and replace the tubing with Tygon.
May 21, 2007 9:24:47 PM

That's what I was hoping to hear. My last question is this: how can I power my loop to test and work the bubbles out before I turn on the system and start making heat?
May 21, 2007 11:46:59 PM

I still prefer the look of this case, and have been settled on it for a while as a simple and effective system that is affordable.

And again, as far as testing the system goes, do I just short the psu so it thinks there's a mobo or is there a gadget I should buy for this purpose?
May 22, 2007 12:47:51 AM

Tacos, I value your opinion, and I agree wholeheartedly on the Thermaltake product. The pump is underpowered (130 GPH), the radiator uses 1/4" copper tubing after the barbs (hence, the reason why a Swiftech 2X120mm radiator was able to outperform), but the benefit of the Kandalf is that it is a great place to start if one is making their first watercooled build. You can replace the pump later as you get more comfortable with the concept. With a bit of modding, you can even replace the radiator with a 3x120mm Black Ice Extreme III and this system becomes rather dreamy for OC builds.

Thermaltake, Koolance, Kingwin, Zalman and Corsair are the kit builds that most people use to make their first leap into watercooling. My first watercooled build was using Thermaltake, myself. Would I ever buy another Thermaltake product for myself again? Probably not, since I have moved on to better, more professional brands. But it was a good kit to cut my teeth on, rather than having to learn the hard way with custom kits that included parts from Danger Den, AlphaCool, Swiftech, DTek, AquaXtreme, etc., which I am using now in my own custom cooling loops for myself and my family and friends.

Destruct0r, you keep on keeping on. Granted, you will eventually outgrow the Kandalf in a build or two, but it is a good place to start. Lian Li is the Cadillac of computer cases, though there are some builds that are designed even better (look at the Apple Mac Pro series...that's some serious case design, and I envy the design team that put that together). You can go cheaper than Lian Li, but you will be hard pressed to find better.
May 24, 2007 6:37:53 AM

MM U2 UFO... Fits everything nicely
!