tara

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

Not sure if this is the right catagory to put this under, but I'll try anyway.

I just got my laptop on Friday. It's an Inspiron 600m. My desktop picture
and icons all look good, the graphics are smooth and the colors look good..
but when I get on the Internet, everything kind of has a rough edge, and a
little 'blurred'. The Start button is like this as well. Is this just because
my screen is small (14.1 inches), or do I have some kind of settings wrong?

Right-click on the desktop and select Properties > Settings, change the
Color Quality to "Highest (32 bit), then adjust your Screen Resolution
to your liking, then click on Apply.

Also, download and install the new ClearType Tuner Powertoy:

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"Tara" wrote:

| Not sure if this is the right catagory to put this under, but I'll try anyway.
|
| I just got my laptop on Friday. It's an Inspiron 600m. My desktop picture
| and icons all look good, the graphics are smooth and the colors look good..
| but when I get on the Internet, everything kind of has a rough edge, and a
| little 'blurred'. The Start button is like this as well. Is this just because
| my screen is small (14.1 inches), or do I have some kind of settings wrong?

tara

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

Unfortunately, my color quality is already on highest bit, and the resolution
is at it's best. The link you gave me did help with the text, however, the
images still look strange.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Right-click on the desktop and select Properties > Settings, change the
> Color Quality to "Highest (32 bit), then adjust your Screen Resolution
> to your liking, then click on Apply.
>
> Also, download and install the new ClearType Tuner Powertoy:

> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Tara" wrote:
>
> | Not sure if this is the right catagory to put this under, but I'll try anyway.
> |
> | I just got my laptop on Friday. It's an Inspiron 600m. My desktop picture
> | and icons all look good, the graphics are smooth and the colors look good..
> | but when I get on the Internet, everything kind of has a rough edge, and a
> | little 'blurred'. The Start button is like this as well. Is this just because
> | my screen is small (14.1 inches), or do I have some kind of settings wrong?

Welcome to Dell Support
http://support.dell.com/home.aspx

Welcome to Dell Community Forums
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Tara" wrote:

| Not sure if this is the right catagory to put this under, but I'll try anyway.
|
| I just got my laptop on Friday. It's an Inspiron 600m. My desktop picture
| and icons all look good, the graphics are smooth and the colors look good..
| but when I get on the Internet, everything kind of has a rough edge, and a
| little 'blurred'. The Start button is like this as well. Is this just because
| my screen is small (14.1 inches), or do I have some kind of settings wrong?

Did you install any kind of Accelerator program recently?

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

"Tara" <Tara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Not sure if this is the right catagory to put this under, but I'll try
> anyway.
>
> I just got my laptop on Friday. It's an Inspiron 600m. My desktop picture
> and icons all look good, the graphics are smooth and the colors look
> good..
> but when I get on the Internet, everything kind of has a rough edge, and a
> little 'blurred'. The Start button is like this as well. Is this just
> because
> my screen is small (14.1 inches), or do I have some kind of settings
> wrong?

tara

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

I'm not completely sure. I got it on Friday for Graduation, and my father had
already been tinkering with it, so he may have.

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:

> Did you install any kind of Accelerator program recently?
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC
>

> "Tara" <Tara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Not sure if this is the right catagory to put this under, but I'll try
> > anyway.
> >
> > I just got my laptop on Friday. It's an Inspiron 600m. My desktop picture
> > and icons all look good, the graphics are smooth and the colors look
> > good..
> > but when I get on the Internet, everything kind of has a rough edge, and a
> > little 'blurred'. The Start button is like this as well. Is this just
> > because
> > my screen is small (14.1 inches), or do I have some kind of settings
> > wrong?

Today's dialup accelerator programs work by lowering picture information.
Some of them have a way to change settings. Often they are installed with
an ISP's software.

--

> I'm not completely sure. I got it on Friday for Graduation, and my father
> had
> already been tinkering with it, so he may have.
>
> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:
>
>> Did you install any kind of Accelerator program recently?
>>
>> --
>> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
>> Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
>> http://www.fjsmjs.com
>> Protect your PC
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/
>>

>> "Tara" <Tara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Not sure if this is the right catagory to put this under, but I'll try
>> > anyway.
>> >
>> > I just got my laptop on Friday. It's an Inspiron 600m. My desktop
>> > picture
>> > and icons all look good, the graphics are smooth and the colors look
>> > good..
>> > but when I get on the Internet, everything kind of has a rough edge,
>> > and a
>> > little 'blurred'. The Start button is like this as well. Is this just
>> > because
>> > my screen is small (14.1 inches), or do I have some kind of settings
>> > wrong?

tara

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

Thanks.

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:

> Today's dialup accelerator programs work by lowering picture information.
> Some of them have a way to change settings. Often they are installed with
> an ISP's software.
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC
>

> "Tara" <Tara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm not completely sure. I got it on Friday for Graduation, and my father
> > had
> > already been tinkering with it, so he may have.
> >
> > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:
> >
> >> Did you install any kind of Accelerator program recently?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> >> Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
> >> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> >> Protect your PC
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/
> >>

> >> "Tara" <Tara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi,
This may be the well known Dell / XP / DPI problem.

See:
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_video&message.id=79881
SpeedStep's reg file is the easy way to go.

More info at:
820286 - PRB Windows XP Does Not Natively Support High-DPI Screens
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=820286 But, the [UseHR= dword:00000001]
value should be [UseHR= dword:00000000]

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Tara" wrote in message
> Not sure if this is the right catagory to put this under, but I'll try
anyway.

> I just got my laptop on Friday. It's an Inspiron 600m. My desktop picture
> and icons all look good, the graphics are smooth and the colors look
good..
> but when I get on the Internet, everything kind of has a rough edge, and a
> little 'blurred'. The Start button is like this as well. Is this just
because
> my screen is small (14.1 inches), or do I have some kind of settings
wrong?

To the OP... If you use a dial-up Internet connection, some
ISPs send low resolution graphics to "speed up" your
apparent download speed. A graphic that would be 25 KB
might be compressed to 4 KB. Also, have you set your
display properties to use the Clear Type fonts?

some support

| Hi,
| This may be the well known Dell / XP / DPI problem.
|
| See:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_video&message.id=79881
| SpeedStep's reg file is the easy way to go.
|
| More info at:
| 820286 - PRB Windows XP Does Not Natively Support High-DPI
Screens
| http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=820286 But, the [UseHR=
dword:00000001]
| value should be [UseHR= dword:00000000]
|
| Hope this helps,
| Don
| [MS MVP- IE/OE]
|
| "Tara" wrote in message
| > Not sure if this is the right catagory to put this
under, but I'll try
| anyway.
| >
| > I just got my laptop on Friday. It's an Inspiron 600m.
My desktop picture
| > and icons all look good, the graphics are smooth and the
colors look
| good..
| > but when I get on the Internet, everything kind of has a
rough edge, and a
| > little 'blurred'. The Start button is like this as well.
Is this just
| because
| > my screen is small (14.1 inches), or do I have some kind
of settings
| wrong?

tara

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

The help I got on that forum fixed my problem perfectly. Thanks so so much.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> This may be the well known Dell / XP / DPI problem.
>
> See:
> http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_video&message.id=79881
> SpeedStep's reg file is the easy way to go.
>
> More info at:
> 820286 - PRB Windows XP Does Not Natively Support High-DPI Screens
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=820286 But, the [UseHR= dword:00000001]
> value should be [UseHR= dword:00000000]
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE/OE]
>
> "Tara" wrote in message
> > Not sure if this is the right catagory to put this under, but I'll try
> anyway.
> >
> > I just got my laptop on Friday. It's an Inspiron 600m. My desktop picture
> > and icons all look good, the graphics are smooth and the colors look
> good..
> > but when I get on the Internet, everything kind of has a rough edge, and a
> > little 'blurred'. The Start button is like this as well. Is this just
> because
> > my screen is small (14.1 inches), or do I have some kind of settings
> wrong?

TRENDING THREADS