should i buy 266$ q6600?

waleedhk

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
hi...just want to make a decision, should i buy a 266$ quad core "q6600" and a p965 chipset mobo and ATI HD 2600xt in August or should i buy a e4300 and p35 motherboard with 7300gt and in 2008 switch to penryn and new graphic card

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Waiting is a suckers game. Can you really project your finances a year into the future? You could always go with a 1333FSB compatible motherboard now, get an E4300, a budget graphics card, and just overlock as you need it until it comes time until you need to upgrade.

erocker

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006
Actually I think $266 bucks is a great price for that processor. Sure the price will drop in a couple of months, but still good price. Get it all!

coverfire

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2003
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the only multi-core optimized game out right now is supreme commander.

I would hold off and get the cheaper parts and overclock for now. Just make sure to stash the extra cash somewhere so you don't spend it on other things like bills! :wink:

I'm holding out for the directx 10 games to make a show and then do another update on my PC.

Just bought an E6420 and overclocked to 3.2ghz so I'm good to go for processing power for awhile.

antonwalker

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
Waiting is a suckers game. Can you really project your finances a year into the future? You could always go with a 1333FSB compatible motherboard now, get an E4300, a budget graphics card, and just overlock as you need it until it comes time until you need to upgrade.

If you get a 1333 FSB mobo it will be compatible with penryn???

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
No word on this yet. Some may be, some may not. The P35 chipsets that are just now rolling out would be your best bet, they seem to perform MUCH better with quads than the 965. Plus the new memory controller gives a ~3% boost in performance with the same memory. They'll be a tad more than the 965, but overall I think it's worth it.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I would just buy the stuff that you want now man. No reason to wait in this industry unless there is something completely new the next month or 2, which penryn is just a refresh within the next 6+ months. You will not be hurting if you get this, though I realize this isn't what you asked I would advise on getting something such as the E4300 (or just a lower processor allowing a better video card into your budget) and an nVidia 8800 GTS 320mb or 640mb I personally would not go with any video card under 512mb. Also, im not accusing just making sure that you dont waste you money when I make my following comments. If you are buying the ATI card because you dont like nVidia, but you could in some way afford the nVidia graphics card that is better dont be a fool like so many I have seen and just buy the nVidia. I promise that you wont be disappointed. Look in my sig...I have an ATI card...I am just tryin to make your system the best for games within what I am assuming is close to your budgets range. Hope this helps man!

P.S. I will be getting that quad after the 22nd and will be running it @ 3ghz! Cant wait...lol

Best,

3Ball

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
To be fair taco...they they are talking about new sockets AMD is releasing...not chipsets required for processors. I personally like the number 939 better than AM2 or 940...It made me so mad that I just had to switch to Intel!!! lol I dont really care what board my processor takes really just if it works well in it.

Best,

3Ball

minty

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Sometimes it makes me wonder if Im the only guy around here who is unable to swap computers ever 2 months like if they were a pair of shoes... humm... I guess that makes me special.

Since money doesnt seem to be a problem, I'd go for your second choice ("spare" computer).

Maybe in the 2008, you will see a clear panorama with a couple or more DX10 games in the market.
So it will make the videocard decision a bit easier IMHO.
Maybe I dunno, we'll be able to see the new G90 cards from nvidia as well.
Then also we'll have penryn, so you either buy that, or a really cheap by then quad core.
Or maybe we'll see what's the deal with the phenoms.

So it just seems to me you might want to have the best of the best, so better wait at least till things with DX10 are clear and make your choice.
And if you're not happy with it, then you can wait for R700 or maybe even Nehalem.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I'm assuming that your post was meant to be directed at the OP and not me! Just to clear things up...correct? Don't want anyone getting confused on who is getting opinions/advice. lol

Best,

3Ball

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
i think the answer lies with what your using now and what you want to play now.

im due an upgrade and have saved up money to buy a top of the range system, however i find myself playing alot of Diablo and Diablo2 at the moment.(having copmpleted CNC3 and Stalker) so i can hold off a bit.

i do own supcom and my 3500 isnt really capable of playing it but i dont see 1 game as reason to upgrade.

when UT3 and crysis come out (and Hellgate London and Fallout 3 etcetc) ill probably think differently so thats why im going to hold out a little while longer

right now im going to see exactly what happens on july 22nd and what else is around but i would really like to see what agena / penryn is capable of but at some point you need to draw the line

waleedhk

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
how much do u expect the prices of phenom x4 and penryn quad core...i am going for a quad core because i will not spend on comp till 2years ...... right now i have a p4-631 3.0ghz and a cheap ga-8I945gzme-rh mobo wid integrated gfx and 1gb ram....so thats why i need an upgrade...

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
hi...just want to make a decision, should i buy a 266$ quad core "q6600" and a p965 chipset mobo and ATI HD 2600xt in August or should i buy a e4300 and p35 motherboard with 7300gt and in 2008 switch to penryn and new graphic card
It appeared to me that some of the responders might have missed a word in the OP. So I made it easier to see.