What OS should I install Vista 64bit or Win server 2008?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
I am building a new computer I am going to use an AMD Phenom 9600 Agena 2.3GHz quad Core for the processor. I haft a spare Vista 64 Bit copy and a Windows server 2008 copy. What would you suggest I install.

This computer is mainly going to be used for home use like games, web browsing, reports, video editing.

Thanks

Solution
Some claim that Server is a little faster than Vista but I have yet to see conclusive proof of this - they both have the same core and for the most part server will do everything Vista will do (no 'media center' though, I presume) but I would personally stick with Vista (and Vista 64 for sure) and rest easy that you will never have any odd compatibility issues because you are running a 'different' OS than other gamers.

OTOH if you are feeling adventurous you might try server for the neck of it - some enthusiasts are doing just that in the hope they avoid some Vista 'bloat' and maybe get a slightly snappier system.

But Vista is running great now for the gamer/enthusiast user - frame rates have equalized between XP and Vista and I doubt...
Some claim that Server is a little faster than Vista but I have yet to see conclusive proof of this - they both have the same core and for the most part server will do everything Vista will do (no 'media center' though, I presume) but I would personally stick with Vista (and Vista 64 for sure) and rest easy that you will never have any odd compatibility issues because you are running a 'different' OS than other gamers.

OTOH if you are feeling adventurous you might try server for the neck of it - some enthusiasts are doing just that in the hope they avoid some Vista 'bloat' and maybe get a slightly snappier system.

But Vista is running great now for the gamer/enthusiast user - frame rates have equalized between XP and Vista and I doubt very seriously you will find Vista sluggish or buggy in any way shape or form

Solution

pinaplex

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
it's most likely best to go with vista, as some applications might have a problem running and/or installing in a server 2008 environment. alot of programs will check what OS version you are running when they install, so you might get a message that the application is incompatible with your operating system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS