Fax Console Problems

G

Ok i think i'm posting this in the right spot. I have fax server running on sever 2003. It was working ok, but i had the bright idea of having a server that would handle all of the office telecommunications/voicemail/email etc. I uninstalled fax server on the server computer, and tried to get the telecommunications server to work, but unfortunately it wasn't working properly and requires significant more tweaking. I reinstalled fax services on the original server, and works fine on the server, but now the fax console on all of the workstations don't show the received or sent faxes. All the workstations use windows xp. I can't figure out what the issue is, cause it was working fine before, and i reset it up exactly the same way as before. I can send faxes with no problem from any of the stations.

mbird4

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
What I found out is that the Windows Fax program stops working and will not restart even with a re-boot.

I did find out how to correct it without re-moving the program and re-installing it. This method will work in correcting the issue until it happens again but works 100% of the time.

1.) Open up Services under Computer Management.
2.) There will be a service named FAX that shows it is Stopping.
(Do not attempt to retry stopping it again because that will fail)
3.) Open up Windows Task Manager then select the PROCESSES tab.
4.) Look for fxssvc.exe, RIGHT click on it then select End Process.
5.) When the box opens up with the options of YES or NO select YES, this will stop the fax service.
6.) Go back to SERVICES in Computer Management and press the F5 key to refresh the screen.
7.) FAX should now show up with status as blank.
8.) RIGHT click on it then select START, this will re-start the fax service enabling the program to work properly again for about a day or 2.

If it fails to work again, follow these procedures again each time it occurs. Just like Windows, you alway have to find a way to work around these kinds of issues.