Windows 8 consumer preview can't disable metro

Last response: in Windows 8
a b * Windows 8
February 29, 2012 8:03:59 PM

Hi :) 

We cannot help....ask MS...

All the best Brett :) 
February 29, 2012 9:56:04 PM

click on the desktop button, it closes the metro interface. does that do what you want?
Related resources
March 1, 2012 4:28:45 AM

No I want the good old taskbar like I have in windows 7 I don’t want to use metro.
March 1, 2012 4:33:12 AM

adamdbz said:
No I want the good old taskbar like I have in windows 7 I don’t want to use metro.

then use windows 7!
March 1, 2012 4:35:52 AM

adamdbz said:

You can pin everything you want to the taskbar. It is still there and actually looks cleaner without the useless orb (no point in the orb if you can just launch your app from taskbar). You are never force to use metro and it will only show up like once at start up and you can head to desktop afterwards.

Metro is to give no compromise so you get the best of all worlds, touch or mouse/keyboard and small devices or 6x 80in monitor if you want. Don't complain about getting extra feature.
March 1, 2012 9:35:12 AM

There will be a way. I'm looking in the registry for the shell program. Perhaps I can replace metro with the desktop. I'll post back if it works... If it doesn't, well, there'll be a whole lot of us sticking with 7!
March 1, 2012 1:06:24 PM

Wow, you guys are seriously useless.

The guy wants to remove Metro and revert back to using the start button but your advice is:
- use windows 7 - yea, why dont you use windows 3.1?
- pin everything to the taskbar - he wants the menu style, not just clicking icons on the taskbar
- click on the desktop button - that doesn't do anything
- we cannot help - no friggin kidding you can't.

I dont know how to fix it, but i'm also curious as to how to remove it and you guys just wasted 7 minutes of my life.
March 1, 2012 1:45:31 PM

DC333 said:
Wow, you guys are seriously useless.

The guy wants to remove Metro and revert back to using the start button but your advice is:
- pin everything to the taskbar - he wants the menu style, not just clicking icons on the taskbar
- click on the desktop button - that doesn't do anything
- we cannot help - no friggin kidding you can't.

I dont know how to fix it, but i'm also curious as to how to remove it and you guys just wasted 7 minutes of my life.

and you, you are the epitome of helpfulness, to the point that your wasted time including signing up so that you could post your lack of help, unless that 7 minutes was because you're a really slow reader and then you compounded your lost time by signing up as well. Either way, if we're useless I don't know what you are. Signing up just to have a go at people is not smart.
March 1, 2012 2:47:52 PM

DC333. Windows 8 has a new start window. The one in Window 7 is dead. What can you do about something that only a small percenatge of people use? We are telling the OP facts.
March 1, 2012 2:54:42 PM

phamhlam said:
DC333. Windows 8 has a new start window. The one in Window 7 is dead. What can you do about something that only a small percenatge of people use? We are telling the OP facts.

In Windows 8 Developer's Preview, the start menu can be hacked into as OP mentioned using the registry. In Windows 8 Consumer's Preview, the regedit hack no longer works. He's wondering if there's another way. The start menu could be hidden in a kernel somewhere. It may not be dead yet.

Also, the start menu is used a lot.
March 1, 2012 4:03:06 PM

Windows 8 seems to run smoothly, it starts very fast in my virtual machine.

I would like to be able to use Windows 8 on my desktop, but I prefer the good old interface.

That is a good reason to want what the OP said. The Metro is great but I really don't know how I could live with it, only 1 window at a time, no taskbar to see every app that is running... No control.
March 1, 2012 4:13:42 PM

DC333 said:
In Windows 8 Developer's Preview, the start menu can be hacked into as OP mentioned using the registry. In Windows 8 Consumer's Preview, the regedit hack no longer works. He's wondering if there's another way. The start menu could be hidden in a kernel somewhere. It may not be dead yet.

Also, the start menu is used a lot.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but MS has already stated they scrapped the code for the Start Menu. It's not hidden, the registry edit doesn't work because it's not there to enable and Metro can no longer be disabled.
March 1, 2012 6:58:31 PM

The Start menue is gonna come back. I'm sure. People are gonna go crazy. And all just to get us used to the win os tablets and windows phones. That's disgusting. I am never gonna buy anything from MS other then their desktop OS. Its a shame I even have to do that, but some apps only run on win OS.

p.s. DC333 I agree with you.
March 1, 2012 7:56:15 PM

I also hope that Metro can be gotten rid of, or at least opened separately like Window Media Center!

So far as others are finding out, it seems that Disabling Windows Metro is prevented at the moment

Best solution

March 1, 2012 8:12:41 PM

I haven't finished the Windows 8 Beta download yet, but one way that may work to get something at least similar to the start menu could be ViStart; a windows 7 start menu for other windows OS's. You can get it HERE. I hope this works because I have so many programs I NEED a start menu!
March 1, 2012 8:29:33 PM

Well, i ain't even installing Windows 8 here.
No start, no fap. xD No just kiddin bout that.
But its totally not professional.

I work here with multiple monitors and with metro it looks like crap.
I just want the start menu, ive no time for that new windows crap.
However they have added quite a lot new good features.
Which is very nice i already know how i'm gonna use them, but
only if i can get my start bar back. I mean the whole metro GUI
for desktops is completely ridiculous.

And in the worst case we will stick with Windows 7.
Na thats not 'worst'. Worst is when they won't learn
of there fault (which is metro GUI ofcourse). And
they will make another OS without start button.
THAT'S the worst scenario i can imagine!

In that case i will start using Mac.
About mac, ive the feeling with Windows 8 that Microsoft is once again
trying to make a bad copy of Mac. The whole metro GUI is just... It's
not Windows. I mean they always do that, they always need to f*ck
up a OS before they can build a reasonable one.

Example*:
MS-DOS .... not sure, not enough experience ....
Windows 1.0 GOOD
Windows 2.0 ***
Windows 2.03 GOOD
Windows 3.0 ***
Windows 3.1 GOOD
Windows NT ***
Windows 95 GOOD
Windows 98 ***
Windows 98² GOOD
Windows 2000 ***
Windows xp GOOD
Windows vista ***
Windows 7 GOOD
Windows 8 ....... See what i mean .......

*This is more ment as a joke, not all of it is true.

To MS
We will NEVER use a touchscreen, so stop mixing OS'es.
March 1, 2012 10:34:11 PM

Same here.
Metro may be good for a lot of people, but it's just not right for a desktop environment.

Seamlessness doesn't seem something they thought about when throwing this upon us.
Does anyone in this world not feel like Metro is just something slapped on, stylistically not having ANYTHING to do with anything that resembles desktop Windows? A desktop Windows which is certainly not dead, nor will it be in like a decade, because after all it's what we're thrown into whenever we start a non-metro program.

When you're using a Windows program, your mind is set to doing things in a certain way. Handling menus, icons, etc.
I feel like whenever you're thrown into Metro, you have to force a context switch in your mind, and start thinking differently, as if you're using a totally different system altogether, and get it back to its usual workings when you get out of it.

It's just annoying. Feels as if they are forcing me to have my PC boot into a Media Center I have to get into every time I need to start a program.

Metro makes all of the stuff I want (eg control panel) harder to access, and in exchange for what? I honestly don't feel it gives me with any real value in return, be it in the form of new things I can do, or making things easier somehow.

On the contrary, on using it we lose the start menu's folder structure. Having icons all splattered onto it quickly becomes a mess of programs, readme files, program provider website links, uninstall links, which ultimately will have us choosing between either having to delete those links after installing each program, or using the text search for every single program we want to start. Either of them, I'm not willing to do.

Not to mention non-metro programs look awfully lame on the Metro UI, becoming just a 1-inch icon in a 4-inch randomly-colored square. Not my thing, honestly.

I understand Microsoft is trying to push a single programming model across phones, tablets and desktops, and I think it's great that they do, but you can still keep Metro programs able to run on Windows without forcing us to use this mess as our everyday environment.

Never have I refused to use the latest version of Windows before (yes, I even used ME and Vista), but if you don't give the option to opt-out from Metro, they've lost me on this one.
March 1, 2012 11:13:02 PM

Hypertraxx said:
The whole metro GUI is just... It's

Example*:
Windows 1.0 GOOD
Windows 2.0 ***
Windows 2.03 GOOD
Windows 3.0 ***
Windows 3.1 GOOD
Windows NT ***
Windows 95 GOOD
Windows 98 ***
Windows 98² GOOD
Windows 2000 ***
Windows xp GOOD
Windows vista ***
Windows 7 GOOD

You forgot Windows Millenium :sarcastic: 
March 2, 2012 12:32:29 AM

Hypertraxx said:
Windows 3.1 GOOD
Windows NT ***
Windows 95 GOOD
Windows 98 ***

Actually, Windows NT was in three versions, and not all of them were bad - WinNT 4.0 is as good as Win95 (in the same way as Win2000 is as good as Win98SE)
a b * Windows 8
March 2, 2012 1:55:46 AM

How about everyone actually tries using Metro on the desktop for more than 5 seconds instead of immediately writing it off as crap?

I thought is was awkward at first too. But once I started to realize how it worked and what Microsoft was trying to accomplish, it's actually not that bad. Still awkward for sure... but this is by no means a perfect UI. There are still improvements to be made.

As rude as you might think some other posters are being by pulling out the "Well just go back to Windows 7" line, they have a point. If you really want to use certain features like you've been using them for the last 3 years, do what the diehard XP users did and stick with the OS until Microsoft stops issuing patches for it in 2020. Just because Microsoft releases it, doesn't mean you have to use it.
March 2, 2012 7:47:27 AM

Rename shsxs.dll file to shsxs_backup.dll.

You can find it here- C:\windows\system32\shsxs.dll

After renaming, just restart the computer and you will directly go to a desktop similar to the Windows 7 desktop. :bounce: 
a b * Windows 8
March 2, 2012 8:05:57 AM

DC333 said:

You really can't make that comparison. Windows 8 is EXACTLY like windows 7 except for metro and being able to run on ARM. If your running on ARM you will want metro on a touch screen. if your on a desktop you'll want.... well a desktop. And you'll use 7. There's no reason to upgrade and people wont.

Honestly the feature will probably be added back or Microsoft will face a major backlash from manufacturers or be forced to include 7 like they did with vista and XP.
March 2, 2012 8:57:51 AM

thomas66 i can't find the file you pointed out.
a b * Windows 8
March 2, 2012 9:06:52 AM

adamdbz said:
thomas66 i can't find the file you pointed out.

That "tip" is from the developer preview. Microsoft as "patches" it since then so you can't disable it. All it would do is bypass metro at startup but that's not going to get the startmenu back
March 2, 2012 9:28:18 AM

Quote:
Hypertraxx wrote :

The whole metro GUI is just... It's

Example*:
Windows 1.0 GOOD
Windows 2.0 ***
Windows 2.03 GOOD
Windows 3.0 ***
Windows 3.1 GOOD
Windows NT ***
Windows 95 GOOD
Windows 98 ***
Windows 98² GOOD
Windows 2000 ***
Windows xp GOOD
Windows vista ***
Windows 7 GOOD

markey164 said:
You forgot Windows Millenium :sarcastic: 

Also Microsoft BOB.
March 2, 2012 12:12:50 PM

JonnyPC12 said:
I haven't finished the Windows 8 Beta download yet, but one way that may work to get something at least similar to the start menu could be ViStart; a windows 7 start menu for other windows OS's. You can get it HERE. I hope this works because I have so many programs I NEED a start menu!

Thank you this worked great. The tool bar at the bottom looks kind of funny with the start menu almost completely on top of my first pinned app but it works! :bounce:  I will take it and hope that microsoft releases an update that includes the option of a native start menu.
March 2, 2012 12:42:22 PM

microsoft said they'd force metro ui in consumer preview so they can get more testing done on it since they know vast majority of users would just disable it right away

it's gonna be optional in final revision
March 2, 2012 12:59:54 PM

Best answer selected by adamdbz.
March 2, 2012 1:24:02 PM

Soda-88 said:
microsoft said they'd force metro ui in consumer preview so they can get more testing done on it since they know vast majority of users would just disable it right away

Good tactic
March 2, 2012 5:33:55 PM

Soda-88 said:

What's your source?
March 2, 2012 6:02:06 PM

forkicks said:
What's your source?

It would alinianate too many corporate customers, if they would no allow traditional UI...
Not sure any more, but it was official MS ansver that there will be allso the old version...

March 3, 2012 7:03:36 AM

I have a Tutorial on how to get a start button in Windows 8 Consumer Preview HERE

Hope this helps!
March 3, 2012 9:00:52 AM

three posts and you want us to download something? i'm not even sure i'd do this onto a virtual os
March 4, 2012 9:52:57 AM

phamhlam said:
You can pin everything you want to the taskbar. It is still there and actually looks cleaner without the useless orb .

Since Vista, you can not pin anything to taskbar normally. You would have to have tiny icons, which are hard to hit, if you like to work fast and if you set them Never Combine, than it will resize, when you launch an app, so it is completelly useless, because it will change the position of icons. Only way, to have normal and stable shortcuts now without Start menu is via Links in the right corner. Devil MS spoiling everything good, taking pleasure in torturing paying customers. :'( 
March 4, 2012 10:21:43 AM

Totally skipping everything 8. It may be good for tablets but not my desktop. I can see the path they have chosen like shooting themselves in the foot.
March 4, 2012 10:56:01 AM

dormantreign said:
Totally skipping everything 8. It may be good for tablets but not my desktop. I can see the path they have chosen like shooting themselves in the foot.

I can see '8 as being a parallel system to '7, specifically for graphically driven devices with lighter hardware capabilities, I don't actually see them as being in competition.
a b * Windows 8
March 4, 2012 3:40:58 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
!