Phone model suggestions: One specific requirement

Last response: in Network Providers
January 6, 2005 12:21:32 PM

Since the people on this newgroup have been kind enough to inform me of the
best way to get Cingular SIM cards, I'm now looking for a phone. I want the
following:

-- A model that can commonly be found 'unlocked' on eBay or elsewhere for
under, say, $100!
-- An external antenna jack. This is going to be used in some fringe areas
(a cabin some miles outside of the city that has the cell tower) and I've
successfully used an external antenna (on the roof) in the past to achieve
rock solid reception when, on the internal antenna alone, usually no signal
whatsoever would be detected.
-- Good RF sensitivity, of course.
-- SMS messaging.
-- A 'flip' style case.

Other than that, I'm not too picky. Data capabilities might be nice but are
optional, ditto a WAP browser, color screens, cameras, polyphonic ring
tones, etc.

Suggestions for a particular model would be much appreciated. Thanks!

---Joel
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 1:59:24 PM

To answer my own question... it looks like I'll be getting a Motorola V66!
It appears to meet all my criteria and is inexpensively found on eBay.

---Joel
January 7, 2005 2:09:47 AM

not recommended. you need a phone that supports 850 mhz which the V66 does
not.

You can buy a brand spanking new V551 from Cingular, net $99 with rebate
these days. Meets your cost criteria.

--
Steve
"Joel Kolstad" <JKolstad71HatesSpam@Yahoo.Com> wrote in message
> To answer my own question... it looks like I'll be getting a Motorola V66!
> It appears to meet all my criteria and is inexpensively found on eBay.
>
> ---Joel

January 7, 2005 2:09:48 AM

Hi Steve,

"Steve" <nr4p@NOJUNKearthlink.net> wrote in message
> not recommended. you need a phone that supports 850 mhz which the V66 does
> not.

Only if I want to use it in the US :-). At the moment I'm pretty happy with
Sprint for most of my US usage; this phone is mainly going to be used while
traveling. (Having only one phone number would be nice, but I didn't find
any US carrier with international roaming rates that came even _close_ to
just getting a prepaid SIM for use overseas.)

Also: From what I've read, if I were to get a V551 from Cingular, in all
likelihood it would be locked to Cingular use only, right? (Although I'm
aware that many phones can be unlocked with enough searching for the right
means...)

Thanks for the help,
---Joel
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 2:09:48 AM

"Steve" <nr4p@NOJUNKearthlink.net> writes:

> not recommended. you need a phone that supports 850 mhz which the V66 does
> not.
>
> You can buy a brand spanking new V551 from Cingular, net $99 with rebate
> these days. Meets your cost criteria.

Is there a magic trick to get the new subscriber price when you still have
several months left in your current contract?

-jav
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 6:11:21 AM

In article <86hdlu5axz.fsf@skylane.kjsl.com>,
Javier Henderson <javier@KJSL.COM> wrote:

> "Steve" <nr4p@NOJUNKearthlink.net> writes:
>
> > not recommended. you need a phone that supports 850 mhz which the V66 does
> > not.
> >
> > You can buy a brand spanking new V551 from Cingular, net $99 with rebate
> > these days. Meets your cost criteria.
>
> Is there a magic trick to get the new subscriber price when you still have
> several months left in your current contract?
>
> -jav

Login to the Cingular website, and go to "UPGRADE" and see if you
qualify. Typically 21 months into a 2 year contract; it
will also require a NEW 2 year contract.

Likely if you wait soon enough they have the v551 for free.

They had the Sony T637 free this week, and its price varies all over
depending on their mood?
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 6:12:34 AM

In article <44WdnS5oIpo3S0DcRVn-qQ@comcast.com>,
"Joel Kolstad" <JKolstad71HatesSpam@Yahoo.Com> wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> "Steve" <nr4p@NOJUNKearthlink.net> wrote in message
> > not recommended. you need a phone that supports 850 mhz which the V66 does
> > not.
>
> Only if I want to use it in the US :-). At the moment I'm pretty happy with
> Sprint for most of my US usage; this phone is mainly going to be used while
> traveling. (Having only one phone number would be nice, but I didn't find
> any US carrier with international roaming rates that came even _close_ to
> just getting a prepaid SIM for use overseas.)
>
> Also: From what I've read, if I were to get a V551 from Cingular, in all
> likelihood it would be locked to Cingular use only, right? (Although I'm
> aware that many phones can be unlocked with enough searching for the right
> means...)
>
> Thanks for the help,
> ---Joel

Someone else posted here that phones bought at BestBuy are unlocked.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 5:41:27 PM

> In article <44WdnS5oIpo3S0DcRVn-qQ@comcast.com>,
> "Joel Kolstad" <JKolstad71HatesSpam@Yahoo.Com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> "Steve" <nr4p@NOJUNKearthlink.net> wrote in message
>> > not recommended. you need a phone that supports 850 mhz which the V66
>> > does
>> > not.
>>
>> Only if I want to use it in the US :-). At the moment I'm pretty happy
>> with
>> Sprint for most of my US usage; this phone is mainly going to be used
>> while
>> traveling. (Having only one phone number would be nice, but I didn't
>> find
>> any US carrier with international roaming rates that came even _close_ to
>> just getting a prepaid SIM for use overseas.)
>>
>> Also: From what I've read, if I were to get a V551 from Cingular, in all
>> likelihood it would be locked to Cingular use only, right? (Although I'm
>> aware that many phones can be unlocked with enough searching for the
>> right
>> means...)
>>
>> Thanks for the help,
>> ---Joel
>
> Someone else posted here that phones bought at BestBuy are unlocked.

All Cingular v551's were unlocked when they were first offered, but that
policy has changed and the newest ones are now locked. You might get an
unlocked one, but at this point it's just the luck of the draw, and finding
a store that hasn't depleted their early inventory.
!