Cant get my LinkSys dongle to connect!

iharvey92

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
So, this is my second usb dongle to connect to the internet. Just bought a new pc, and realized that if i put in my pci networking card from my old pc, it would totally block the fan and probably fry my new graphics card. So, went and bought a netgear usb dongle, and found out after and hour on with tech support that it wasnt windows 7 compatible. Went back and returned it, and bought a linksys one, which has a windows 7 driver available on their website (which i had to move with a flash drive because i cant connect to the internet in the first place).

The install takes forever, which is ridiculous with this new i7-860 beast, and then it cant locate the wireless router. I figure i should restart the computer and try again, but silly me, windows 7 doesnt want to be shut down. It goes to the shutdown screen and just stays there.

Im thinking I may have to reload from the original backup disk I made, or worse-case senario, have to clean install EVERYTHING (which would be a massive pain). Any help guys?

Thanks in advance!

Did you install the driver before plugging the dongle in? If not, I understand where you're coming from. If it took that long to install the drivers and such, W7 doesn't like it. If W7 doesn't like something, your stuck doing a re-install of the OS. If you want to give up on the dongle, remove the driver and try a repair from the DVD first so you don't have to wipe everything.