quake 2 installation problems with redhat

Hey, there

I am trying to install a quake 2 version 3.20 on my redhat 9.0.
With the instructions of Linux Quake HowTo: Quake 2, everything seems
doing well. But when I type in: ./quake2 +set vid_ref softx, it quits
after giving me:

------- sound initialization -------
Cmd_AddCommand: play already defined
Cmd_AddCommand: stopsound already defined
Cmd_AddCommand: soundlist already defined
Cmd_AddCommand: soundinfo already defined
/dev/dsp: Bad address
Could not reset /dev/dsp
XIO: fatal IO error 9 (Bad file descriptor) on X server ":0.0"
after 50 requests (50 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

It seems like a soundcard problem, but actually my soundcard works and
could play music. That looks really weird. By the way, there is no
problem if I run it as a dedicated server and I also tested my machine
with 3.14 demo(no sound) and it ran well.

Any idea?

~shane
3 answers Last reply
More about quake installation problems redhat

    On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 20:55:22 -0700, dss_store@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Hey, there
    >
    > I am trying to install a quake 2 version 3.20 on my redhat 9.0.
    > With the instructions of Linux Quake HowTo: Quake 2, everything seems
    > doing well. But when I type in: ./quake2 +set vid_ref softx, it quits
    > after giving me:
    >
    > ------- sound initialization -------
    > Cmd_AddCommand: play already defined
    > Cmd_AddCommand: stopsound already defined
    > Cmd_AddCommand: soundlist already defined
    > Cmd_AddCommand: soundinfo already defined
    > /dev/dsp: Bad address
    > Could not reset /dev/dsp
    > XIO: fatal IO error 9 (Bad file descriptor) on X server ":0.0"
    > after 50 requests (50 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
    >
    > It seems like a soundcard problem, but actually my soundcard works and
    > could play music. That looks really weird. By the way, there is no
    > problem if I run it as a dedicated server and I also tested my machine
    > with 3.14 demo(no sound) and it ran well.
    >
    > Any idea?
    >

    > ~shane

    IIRC Quake wants OSS and if you have only ALSA it won't go, so check
    the snd_pcm_oss, snd_mixer_oss modules are going (lsmod).

    Graeme,

    I checked my modules, if I'm not wrong, everything looks OK:

    Module Size Used by Not tainted
    ac97_codec 14568 0 (unused)
    ac97 5088 0 (unused)
    nls_iso8859-1 3516 0 (autoclean)
    udf 98432 0 (autoclean)
    snd-pcm-oss 44356 0 (autoclean)
    snd-mixer-oss 15480 0 (autoclean) [snd-pcm-oss]
    parport_pc 19076 1 (autoclean)
    lp 8996 0 (autoclean)
    parport 37056 1 (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]
    autofs 13268 0 (autoclean) (unused)
    8139too 18120 1
    mii 3976 0 [8139too]
    e1000 60288 1
    sg 36524 0 (autoclean)
    sr_mod 18136 0 (autoclean)
    snd-intel8x0 23776 0 (autoclean)
    snd-pcm 83360 0 (autoclean) [snd-pcm-oss
    snd-intel8x0]
    snd-timer 15432 0 (autoclean) [snd-pcm]
    snd-ac97-codec 36132 0 (autoclean) [snd-intel8x0]
    snd-mpu401-uart 4732 0 (autoclean) [snd-intel8x0]
    snd-rawmidi 18336 0 (autoclean) [snd-mpu401-uart]
    snd-seq-device 6128 0 (autoclean) [snd-rawmidi]
    snd 39500 0 (autoclean) [snd-pcm-oss
    snd-mixer-oss snd-intel8x0 snd-pcm snd-timer snd-ac97-codec
    snd-mpu401-uart snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device]
    soundcore 6404 3 (autoclean) [snd]
    ide-scsi 12208 0
    scsi_mod 107544 3 [sg sr_mod ide-scsi]
    ide-cd 35712 0
    cdrom 33728 0 [sr_mod ide-cd]
    keybdev 2976 0 (unused)
    mousedev 5556 1
    hid 22244 0 (unused)
    input 5856 0 [keybdev mousedev hid]
    usb-uhci 26412 0 (unused)
    ehci-hcd 20072 0 (unused)
    usbcore 79040 1 [hid usb-uhci ehci-hcd]
    ext3 70784 2
    jbd 51988 2 [ext3]

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 12:09:16 -0700, dss_store@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Graeme,
    >
    > I checked my modules, if I'm not wrong, everything looks OK:

    Those sure look ok. So move on... check if you have read/write permissions
    to /dev/dsp. And see if the game works when run as root. Good luck.

Command Prompt Video Games