quake 2 installation problems with redhat

Last response: in Video Games
October 18, 2004 12:55:22 AM

Hey, there

I am trying to install a quake 2 version 3.20 on my redhat 9.0.
With the instructions of Linux Quake HowTo: Quake 2, everything seems
doing well. But when I type in: ./quake2 +set vid_ref softx, it quits
after giving me:

------- sound initialization -------
Cmd_AddCommand: play already defined
Cmd_AddCommand: stopsound already defined
Cmd_AddCommand: soundlist already defined
Cmd_AddCommand: soundinfo already defined
/dev/dsp: Bad address
Could not reset /dev/dsp
XIO: fatal IO error 9 (Bad file descriptor) on X server ":0.0"
after 50 requests (50 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

It seems like a soundcard problem, but actually my soundcard works and
could play music. That looks really weird. By the way, there is no
problem if I run it as a dedicated server and I also tested my machine
with 3.14 demo(no sound) and it ran well.

Any idea?

~shane
October 18, 2004 9:59:41 PM

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 20:55:22 -0700, dss_store@yahoo.com wrote:

> Hey, there
>
> I am trying to install a quake 2 version 3.20 on my redhat 9.0.
> With the instructions of Linux Quake HowTo: Quake 2, everything seems
> doing well. But when I type in: ./quake2 +set vid_ref softx, it quits
> after giving me:
>
> ------- sound initialization -------
> Cmd_AddCommand: play already defined
> Cmd_AddCommand: stopsound already defined
> Cmd_AddCommand: soundlist already defined
> Cmd_AddCommand: soundinfo already defined
> /dev/dsp: Bad address
> Could not reset /dev/dsp
> XIO: fatal IO error 9 (Bad file descriptor) on X server ":0.0"
> after 50 requests (50 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
>
> It seems like a soundcard problem, but actually my soundcard works and
> could play music. That looks really weird. By the way, there is no
> problem if I run it as a dedicated server and I also tested my machine
> with 3.14 demo(no sound) and it ran well.
>
> Any idea?
>

> ~shane

IIRC Quake wants OSS and if you have only ALSA it won't go, so check
the snd_pcm_oss, snd_mixer_oss modules are going (lsmod).
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 9:59:42 PM

Graeme,

I checked my modules, if I'm not wrong, everything looks OK:

Module Size Used by Not tainted
ac97_codec 14568 0 (unused)
ac97 5088 0 (unused)
nls_iso8859-1 3516 0 (autoclean)
udf 98432 0 (autoclean)
snd-pcm-oss 44356 0 (autoclean)
snd-mixer-oss 15480 0 (autoclean) [snd-pcm-oss]
parport_pc 19076 1 (autoclean)
lp 8996 0 (autoclean)
parport 37056 1 (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]
autofs 13268 0 (autoclean) (unused)
8139too 18120 1
mii 3976 0 [8139too]
e1000 60288 1
sg 36524 0 (autoclean)
sr_mod 18136 0 (autoclean)
snd-intel8x0 23776 0 (autoclean)
snd-pcm 83360 0 (autoclean) [snd-pcm-oss
snd-intel8x0]
snd-timer 15432 0 (autoclean) [snd-pcm]
snd-ac97-codec 36132 0 (autoclean) [snd-intel8x0]
snd-mpu401-uart 4732 0 (autoclean) [snd-intel8x0]
snd-rawmidi 18336 0 (autoclean) [snd-mpu401-uart]
snd-seq-device 6128 0 (autoclean) [snd-rawmidi]
snd 39500 0 (autoclean) [snd-pcm-oss
snd-mixer-oss snd-intel8x0 snd-pcm snd-timer snd-ac97-codec
snd-mpu401-uart snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device]
soundcore 6404 3 (autoclean) [snd]
ide-scsi 12208 0
scsi_mod 107544 3 [sg sr_mod ide-scsi]
ide-cd 35712 0
cdrom 33728 0 [sr_mod ide-cd]
keybdev 2976 0 (unused)
mousedev 5556 1
hid 22244 0 (unused)
input 5856 0 [keybdev mousedev hid]
usb-uhci 26412 0 (unused)
ehci-hcd 20072 0 (unused)
usbcore 79040 1 [hid usb-uhci ehci-hcd]
ext3 70784 2
jbd 51988 2 [ext3]

Graeme <www.rillion.net@no.spam.wanted&gt; wrote in message news:<pan.2004.10.18.04.59.34.838679@no.spam.wanted>...
> On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 20:55:22 -0700, dss_store@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > Hey, there
> >
> > I am trying to install a quake 2 version 3.20 on my redhat 9.0.
> > With the instructions of Linux Quake HowTo: Quake 2, everything seems
> > doing well. But when I type in: ./quake2 +set vid_ref softx, it quits
> > after giving me:
> >
> > ------- sound initialization -------
> > Cmd_AddCommand: play already defined
> > Cmd_AddCommand: stopsound already defined
> > Cmd_AddCommand: soundlist already defined
> > Cmd_AddCommand: soundinfo already defined
> > /dev/dsp: Bad address
> > Could not reset /dev/dsp
> > XIO: fatal IO error 9 (Bad file descriptor) on X server ":0.0"
> > after 50 requests (50 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
> >
> > It seems like a soundcard problem, but actually my soundcard works and
> > could play music. That looks really weird. By the way, there is no
> > problem if I run it as a dedicated server and I also tested my machine
> > with 3.14 demo(no sound) and it ran well.
> >
> > Any idea?
> >

> > ~shane
>
> IIRC Quake wants OSS and if you have only ALSA it won't go, so check
> the snd_pcm_oss, snd_mixer_oss modules are going (lsmod).
October 20, 2004 1:11:09 AM

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 12:09:16 -0700, dss_store@yahoo.com wrote:

> Graeme,
>
> I checked my modules, if I'm not wrong, everything looks OK:

Those sure look ok. So move on... check if you have read/write permissions
to /dev/dsp. And see if the game works when run as root. Good luck.
!