Linux with Best User Interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

fshaharyar

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
Hi Guys,

I seem to have a problem now and then regarding and I am not able to find the flavor of Linux that has the best User Interface that would comparable to Windows 7.

I have used SuSe Linux that I think has the best User Interface apart from that my brother is using Fedora 16 and its interface is quite intuitive and friendly.

So tell me guys which flavor of Linux has very good interface (Graphics Wise) as I would like to ditch the Microsoft stable for Windows 8 this time around and stick with Windows 7 but would love to try a flavor of Linux on my system.

Let me know what you think guys

Regards,
Faisal

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Linux is modular. You can make any Linux look like any other.

This is how MY Fedora looks:

6562062287_1c36a3e5be_b.jpg

It's the LXDE desktop. It comes in many shapes and sizes. You can have it installed in Ubuntu, SUSE, Debian etc.

No Linux distribution is truly stuck with any "look" and neither is Windows or Mac OS X. You can customise anything to work like anything else...

fshaharyar

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
Hi guys,

The response is good but would have been great if you could have mentioned any flavor of Linux. It seems I was not clear enough ok so here it is.

1. Graphically it should be good intensive.
2. The Panel should have a very realistic look (almost matching the quality of Apple OS)
3. I dont want a user friendly OS (Thats why ditching the Windows brand of thing)

Regards,
Faisal

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
What I'm saying is that the interface is up to you. For Fedora alone you can choose between GNOME 3 (What your brother has), KDE, XFCE and LXDE. There are countless ways to customise each, and a who lot more out there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_environment

Desktop environments are like masks and Linux is like people at a masked ball. We can interchange masks, swap them around and (outwardly) look the same. On the inside we are different people, the same species, but different people. We are not different enough that organs and blood cannot be transplated between us, but it does not always work. What you are asking us is to tell you what person (Linux) looks like the Windows mask.

Because you have said the above I recommend Sabayon or Debian. You can freely change the masks for Sabayon or any Linux for that matter. Just find themes online (google them) for your chosen distribution and install them.

SingingThroughTheStorm

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Kubuntu (KDE) is something I REALLY don't care for, but others like.
Kubuntu looked and felt a like Windows 7, only flashier. That may be a plus for some.

I personally like Xubuntu (Looks good, and I have run it on a 133MHZ or so PC without problems.)

Sounds to me like the OP really wants the eye candy, in which case Enlightenment has to be a contender.

The big point that amdfangirl is making is that pretty much any flavour of Linux can run any window manager you want. You need to escape MS thinking on this and look at it more like the days of Dos and Windows 3.x. In this case Linux core is DOS, the Window manager the GUI that sits on top of it, more like Win 3.x or OS/2 did back in the day.

Having got that mindset you can see that any distro can be made to look just how you want. You want Ubuntu as you like the package management but also want eye-candy? Install default Ubuntu and then install Enlightenment. Like Fedora but want a lighter GUI? Install Fluxbox or LXDE.

At one stage when I was working at a Unix shop we had 10+ flavours of Unix, a couple of flavours of Linux and about 50 different Window managers from the closed worlds of SGI through to the then suggested saviour of the desktop, CDE. Ultimately most people tried a few and then went with something light like TWM as this was early Pentium days, when a 16Mb graphics card was indulgent and 10Mbit network connections were the standard in the office.

Status
Not open for further replies.