Voiding Cpu warranty

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
Nobody would be dumb enough to send the aftermarket cooler with the RMA. Since the retail CPUs come with stock cooler. one could just send the CPU for RMA with the stock cooler, not the aftermarket ones. I don't think their support staff would check for thermal compound chemical content since that probably would cost more than a new cpu, (they lose money if they do that).

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
How can you tell a burnt chip from a non-burnt chip without unsoldering the IHS? And how can INTEL/AMD tell if the burnt chip was caused by overclocking or simply overheated repeatedly?

Nobody would be dumb enough to send the aftermarket cooler with the RMA. Since the retail CPUs come with stock cooler. one could just send the CPU for RMA with the stock cooler, not the aftermarket ones. I don't think their support staff would check for thermal compound chemical content since that probably would cost more than a new cpu, (they lose money if they do that).

Nobody would be dumb enough to send the aftermarket cooler with the RMA.

Your naive to believe that.

Since the retail CPUs come with stock cooler. one could just send the CPU for RMA with the stock cooler, not the aftermarket ones.

I have RMA'd to both Intel and AMD and the stock cooler was not required to be sent t the companys.

I don't think their support staff would check for thermal compound chemical content since that probably would cost more than a new cpu, (they lose money if they do that)

The company's techs check to see if the chip is working or not. If there is no visible damage or damge you have revealed to them that would void the warany, the company sent me a new processor on every occasion I have sent one in under warranty.

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
So, does that mean that anyone whose smart enough not to tell the techs that they've overclocked can purposely ruin a bad overclocking chip and a RMA for a better overclocking chip?

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Well, I guess. The legality of that is questionable though. If you want a better chip just return the one you have now to the place you bought it from, or sell it on ebay or something. Don't kill it and send it to Intel hoping for a better oc'er.

So, does that mean that anyone whose smart enough not to tell the techs that they've overclocked can purposely ruin a bad overclocking chip and a RMA for a better overclocking chip?

I'm saying I have never had a problem getting a CPU replaced under warranty from either AMD or Intel. I have burned the socket brown out the back of the MB and singed the inside of the case brown and my CPU was replaced under warranty. I have had a CPU just fail with no overclocking and had it replaced under warranty. I do believe if they had asked and I had said,"yeah, I was overvolting it and poof..." then my warranty replacement request would have been voided.

AMD and Intel are not about to start going to court over not replacing their pocessors under consumer warranty. This conversation reminds of the guy who was ticketed for speeding by radar. His lawyer wrote the radar gun company a letter asking the company for specifications on their gun's accuracy, and specifically if their product was accurate 100 % of the time. The company of course wrote back their product was not acurate 100 % of the time and had this that and the other known issues.

I have never had a problem getting a processor replaced by the companys. I wouldn't buy a $999 CPU if I thought the company wouldn't replace it should it fail.

WR

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
They probably can't tell if you've overclocked, used a different thermal paste, or tried aftermarket or no cooler at all.

But some of their chips record maximum Vcore applied, and if you overvolted too high when o/c'ing, they would have a basis to refuse warranty coverage.

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
I personally wouldn't do such thing. It's my friend who keeps on asking me if he can RMA his bad overclocking chip. I've never had a RMA since i've only had 1 cpu and it lasted me 8 years without any failure.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
If a person RMAs something it doesnt go back to company that made it. If he RMA'ed it he would be sending it back the company he bought the chip from.

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I personally wouldn't do such thing.

Can I say I admire your honesty. Our country would be a better place if all citizens had such a sense of self and civic duty. (Send in the burnt out CPU).

Well that would apply to those in business practices too. By far we would have much better and faster processors in that world, and no need to OC.

I personally wouldn't do such thing.

Can I say I admire your honesty. Our country would be a better place if all citizens had such a sense of self and civic duty. (Send in the burnt out CPU).

Well that would apply to those in business practices too. By far we would have much better and faster processors in that world, and no need to OC.

Yeah I agree. You won't be in business long if your don't live by our motto, "The customer is always right." Wait. Cutting edge tech companys aren't in business long. What am I thinking? They get bought out just after they start to show dishonesty.

BaldEagle

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
RMA should cover IHS lapping too lol :lol:

Really? 8O I would figure that they would blame you for modifying the prossessor and there for causing the problem in the first place.

That is why he said "should" and "LOL" because he knows they won't take a lapped cpu back.

TRENDING THREADS