Install problem: Can't find bootable volume

I have been trying to install Linux onto an IDE hard drive I put into an external enclosure that already has Fedora 14 installed on it but I keep getting the problem of not being able to find a bootable volume. I have so far tried Ubuntu 11.04, Ubuntu 11.10, and Fedora 16 with all of them being of the 64-bit flavor. I'm doing this on my desktop where I have disconnected the data cable to the internal drives to prevent any changes to the boot sector.

Any suggestions on how to get past this problem? Do I take the drive out of the enclosure and put it internal? Because I have already installed a now older distribution onto it so I don't understand why it is not working.
5 answers Last reply
More about install problem find bootable volume
  1. Let me put it to you like this. It is infinately easier to put it inside your computer.

There are ways to do this technically, but I assume you're as lazy as I.

Disconnect all drives but the one you're using and you will not be able to wipe anything. I would honestly say that IDE > USB 2 (I'm assuming it's a USB enclosure) in terms of speed.
  2. It is strange as I have already install Fedora 14 on it and I just want to upgrade it to to Ubuntu 11.10 to get used to Unity. Going to be installing 12.04 LTS on my laptop to dual boot with Win7.

As for the enclosure:
    http://reviews.bestbuy.com/3545/8316805/rocketfish-3-5-hard-drive-enclosure-reviews/reviews.htm
  3. You need to ensure that the motherboard of the machine supports booting from USB devices (which there are a few variations a la USB optical, USB floppy, and USB hdd) and that it's configured to do so.

IDE <-> USB is going to incur some overhead, so as amdfangirl noted, there will be a performance hit (for an IDE class device, which likely tops out around 50-60 MBps, this may not be overly painful but it will still be overhead)
  4. I have booted to the Fedora 14 already on it. I'm just trying to upgrade to Ubuntu 11.10 on it.
  5. Ok, so you can boot to the Fedora that's on it, you simply want to install an Ubuntu 11.10 on it, is that right? If so, there's a slight deviation from the standard installation flow that you need to make, detailed here
Ask a new question

Read More

Enclosure