Sign in with
Your question

Install problem: Can't find bootable volume

Tags:
Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
January 1, 2012 4:40:42 AM

I have been trying to install Linux onto an IDE hard drive I put into an external enclosure that already has Fedora 14 installed on it but I keep getting the problem of not being able to find a bootable volume. I have so far tried Ubuntu 11.04, Ubuntu 11.10, and Fedora 16 with all of them being of the 64-bit flavor. I'm doing this on my desktop where I have disconnected the data cable to the internal drives to prevent any changes to the boot sector.

Any suggestions on how to get past this problem? Do I take the drive out of the enclosure and put it internal? Because I have already installed a now older distribution onto it so I don't understand why it is not working.
January 1, 2012 5:21:42 AM

Let me put it to you like this. It is infinately easier to put it inside your computer.

There are ways to do this technically, but I assume you're as lazy as I.

Disconnect all drives but the one you're using and you will not be able to wipe anything. I would honestly say that IDE > USB 2 (I'm assuming it's a USB enclosure) in terms of speed.
m
l
Related resources
January 3, 2012 1:39:01 AM

You need to ensure that the motherboard of the machine supports booting from USB devices (which there are a few variations a la USB optical, USB floppy, and USB hdd) and that it's configured to do so.

IDE <-> USB is going to incur some overhead, so as amdfangirl noted, there will be a performance hit (for an IDE class device, which likely tops out around 50-60 MBps, this may not be overly painful but it will still be overhead)
m
l
January 4, 2012 11:56:02 PM

I have booted to the Fedora 14 already on it. I'm just trying to upgrade to Ubuntu 11.10 on it.
m
l
January 6, 2012 3:16:58 AM

Ok, so you can boot to the Fedora that's on it, you simply want to install an Ubuntu 11.10 on it, is that right? If so, there's a slight deviation from the standard installation flow that you need to make, detailed here
m
l
!