Can a AMD Athlon II X3 455 Rana 3.3GHz CPU run ubuntu?

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

But what happens if the CPU is OCed to a Phenom II X4 B55 becuae this CPU can do that.

But what happens if the CPU is OCed to a Phenom II X4 B55 becuae this CPU can do that.

Click the link blow, Click on feedback then type in ubuntu in keyword seach engine.

AMD Athlon II X3 455 Rana 3.3GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX455WFGMBOX

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

But it won't load ubuntu?

Didn't you read one of the reviews on newegg.com?

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

DO you think that my motherboard is the problem?

Cons: I attempted to use the Core Unlocker in the BIOS. The BIOS brought it right up and recognized it as a Phenom X4 B55. Unfortunately Windows7 64-bit and Ubuntu 11.10 Ocelot 64-bit wouldn't boot. W7 BSOD'd and Ubuntu 11.10 simply stopped loading.

It seems that W7 was waiting for the 4th core to send back a signal to enumerate and it wasn't able to. Someone of Geek Status might know more, but this Nerd will simply use the 3 cores he paid for and not look a gift-horse in the mouth. This isn't a con for me, but it could be if this is what you expected from the core.

Emphasis mine.

So, you're worried because a system that will not load Win7 could also not load Ubuntu. The common factor here is trying to get a 4th core for free. If you don't unlock the chip it will be fine.

It seems the week point here is the unlock tool not verifying that it's done its job correctly. I know AMD have a good reputation for OC's and unlocking but ultimately they bin chips based on yield, you can't reasonably expect a 100% guarantee on turning on features AMD deamed the chip not to have.

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

Well I did that last night it installed but I couldn't go in to Finish the installation it keeps on saying that there windows has fail to start prompt it also gives a what appears that be a file directory File: \wubildr.mbr but I don't what it means? Also i'm trying to installed Ubuntu on windows XP would that have something to do with it?

Kind of but the main point is that if I’d do unlock the core both windows seven and Ubuntu may not work, but I’m not that worried about it.

Installing Ubuntu from XP is the whole reason you are getting that message. Frankly, the Windows installer is pants and most folks here would not suggest using it.

Unlike Windows you can try Ubuntu without having to install it. Just boot from the CD and let it load. If it loads OK from the CD (Live Environment) then it should install without any issues.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

And in case it doesn't you can disable the unlocking and have a perfectly working system.

I tried to unlock a single-core Sempron, didn't work, turned off unlock and the OS (Fedora 15) was not corrupted at all.

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

I tried it just my HDD light was on then it just want away quickly and no it didn't install on to my PC.

What's Fedora 15?

You can, but using WUBI (the Ubuntu Windows Installer) is not recommended by those here that have tried it.

One other option you might like to consider is running Ubuntu instide a virtual machine. That way you boot Win7 and then you can boot Ubuntu inside the VM and just try it.

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

That's is if my motherboard support, and what the other option?

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

Ok i'm do that. If I get a new Flash drive.